Arlington VA public multi purpose trail maps (Read 516 times)

Ok, I tried to search for this and "map" is just too generic of a word for it to be meaningful. I realize there are lots of sites out there, including this one, that let's users post their running routes on a map overlay. I'm looking for something a little different. I live in Arlington VA and just recently I moved from Crystal City to the other side of the county near Seven Corners (if you don't live in the area those locations don't really mean anything and that's ok). We have a plethora of paved trails and feeders and all sorts of places to get out and encounter bikers and families walking 4 abreast. What I'm looking for is a resource that will have all of those trails and feeders on a map. I know the biggies, Mount Vernon, 4 Mile Run, WO&D, Custis...but what I don't know are the connectors or some of the smaller trails. I don't want to run the same route every day but I also don't want to run 400 yards down a trail that just terminates into nothing. Plus I kinda got myself lost the other night when I got several forks off the WO&D and then couldn't find my way back to the trail. I'm sure this is the kind of thing that I can figure out over time but I had a coworker who is moving about two miles away ask me how to get to trail X from his house and I told him that while I was sure there was a feeder close by that would lead to a trail that would lead to another and so on, I didn't really know the exact details. Does anyone know of such a resource?
    2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
    Lisa3.1

I was going to say the W&OD trail, but you did that already. Modified to add: I was in Fairfax, and Loudoun Co. for awhile.
      mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Have you tried your local, regional, or state gov't website, or the state Environmental Protection / Dept of Natural Resources / Wildlife Resources website(s). In Connecticut, the DEP website has a whole section devoted to hiking trails, Rails to Trails projects, bike routes, and the like. You may be able to find something similar to what you're looking for there. Another resource might be a local trailrunner's or hiker's club, or the local sporting goods / outdoors store. Around here Eastern Mountain Sports is a big one, and they have books of local trail maps on sale there. Good Luck!
          I have the Arlington County bike map which is the best thing I've been able to find so far. The problem is that it's geared toward commuters so a lot of the "trails" are street lanes and recommended on-street access. Again, it hits the high points but doesn't deal with the smaller connectors. I searched the county website and there's a lot of map info there but either I'm an idiot and can't find it (highly possible) or the info isn't there. What I'm considering doing is taking my bike and my 305 out this weekend and trying to hit every piece of pavement/packed dirt that isn't a road and then throw it all in Google Earth when I get home. Maybe I'll take a notebook or something and try to make some notes that correspond to mileage so I can make sense of the map once I create it. I would think there would be a decent market for Garmin or another company to have this kind of data available, even if it's community driven. It would be extremely valuable to me if my 305 could point me to a trail head when I'm out-of-town. There's so much data out there that says, "this is my custom 7 mile route" but there's nothing that really seems to attempt to tie that data together in a meaningful way and then leverages it in a way that is useful to others.
          2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
            What I'm considering doing is taking my bike and my 305 out this weekend and trying to hit every piece of pavement/packed dirt that isn't a road and then throw it all in Google Earth when I get home.
            That's exactly how I learned trails where I live. (well, somewhat modified, but used gps, snowshoe ran, regular ran, then overlaid on topo maps) I know we don't have trail maps where I live - or signs on most of the trails, and it's a big issue for many people. They're afraid of getting lost on these spaghetti loops trails. Some volunteer groups are working on resolving those issues.
            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Dave

If you look in groups, there is a Northern Virginia Running Group and there is a sticky thread with links to some of the local trails here: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/NOVA/Forum

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com