Racing in the cold (Read 203 times)

xhristopher

I've raced down to 12 w/o thinking my performance suffered. I think it wold get tough lower than 10. I'm willing to try and find out.

onemile

Glad to hear it because I checked again and my forecast has been downgraded to 13 degrees now.

I've raced down to 12 w/o thinking my performance suffered. I think it wold get tough lower than 10. I'm willing to try and find out.

Glad to hear it because I checked again and my forecast has been downgraded to 13 degrees now.

Same boat. Sunday looks like 10 to 12F here at 10:30 with 8-9mph winds. Should be fun.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
        xhristopher

My race was a 16 miler and it was just cold. A 5K might have been a different story. The coldest I've raced a 5K was 18. I recall the active snowstorm was a bigger deal than the temp.

mandytheartist

I have a weekly 5-miler I've run yearround. (Cambridge area)

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I did a New Year's Day 5k where it was barely 20F and windy.  It was OK.  A few years back, it was 5F for our local turkey trot.  The biggest issue was the cold air hurting my lungs... needed a face mask.   I'd agree that anything under 10F is not going to be pretty if there's wind.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

onemile

Good luck!

Same boat. Sunday looks like 10 to 12F here at 10:30 with 8-9mph winds. Should be fun.

onemile

This'll be a 15k so hopefully won't be terrible.  No snowstorm and no wind.

My race was a 16 miler and it was just cold. A 5K might have been a different story. The coldest I've raced a 5K was 18. I recall the active snowstorm was a bigger deal than the temp.

Good luck to you too...now I'm wondering how much shoveling 18 inches of snow the day before a race will affect performance.

Just calling it strength training...

I've got a race this afternoon. It's gonna be about 30 degrees but with winds up to 36mph. 36?!? This is gonna be interesting.

I've got a race this afternoon. It's gonna be about 30 degrees but with winds up to 36mph. 36?!? This is gonna be interesting.

Same here in Virginia, 33 degrees at the start..   Gusts over 32 mph for the VIFL 14K.  But... Even with the wind, busted out a PR improvement of over 4 minutes :-)   Anything is possible it seems.....

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

foooster

here in canada -8 c 25 cm snow  8mile race next sunday

onemile

Ended up being 12, feels like 4 at guntime.  I wore compression shorts, tights, LS tech shirt, SS tech shirt, wind breaker, and beanie.  That was just about perfect. I didn't feel too warm or too cold.  I had a good race and didn't feel like the temps slowed me down at all, so thanks for all the feedback!  There were two miles that were pretty slippery and that affected my pace but I still managed to PR (Ok it was my first 15k so an auto-PR Wink... but I was pretty happy with the race).  And I was complimented on my beautiful eyelash-sicles. Smile

Those winds sound awful.  KL Duke, nice job PRing in that - crazy!!

Hope your race went well youngoffender!

fooster - good luck to you!

DukeDB

I ran a five mile race yesterday morning, 21F at the gun.  Have been training outdoors all winter, including several runs at colder temps.  This was new.

I ran it pretty hard and that post-race burning lung feeling took a long time to go away, and today they still feel sore.  Never been a smoker but it reminds me of the way my lungs felt after spending a night out in smoky bars.  I am wondering if hard running in this weather is counterproductive.

18-20F here yesterday for race. No wind. Full sun. No measurable effect on performance. Was totally fine. Hat, gloves, tights, short sleeve under long sleeve.