The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Both sides!
    But he has THE BIGGEST MASK YOU’VE EVER SEEN.

Doesn’t work when you don’t use it and he is supposed to be the guy who wills it better because the current guy can’t even do it right after 9 months.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Actually I don't know it's bullshit.  What I think is bullshit is believing there is a winning side in this that has it right and actually has you and my safety as a primary concern.  Neither side is motivated primarily by our safety.

I've read the primary literature on masks, particularly the kinds most people are wearing.  They're better than nothing but hardly wonderful.  I also recall not that long ago the "experts" telling us we shouldn't wear masks.  Do you remember that?  Yet now it's a litmus test?  I guess that went the way of "flattening the curve".

If you want to prevent the spread of COVID stay the hell away from people.  Masks are really a secondary concern -- but I do wear one in public settings.  But if you're protesting or at the funeral of a famous public official large gatherings otherwise not allowed are suddenly OK. But church services are banned.  Really scientific there.

The Trump administration's issue wasn't masks, it was lack of social distancing and conducting business as usual.  But let's blame it on masks.  But if we're going to play that game, let's hold both sides to that metric.  You say Trump is willfully reckless yet Pelosi's act was also intentional, but it's just "not being perfect".  C'mon, man, they both screwed up.

Yeah, the blind partisanship we have been reduced to is what I think is bullshit.

Nailed it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

The NBA had zero positive covid tests after the re-start.

Runners run

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The NBA had zero positive covid tests after the re-start.

I think the biggest thing for the NBA is next season. Clearly COVID will still be around, and they've indicated that they don't want to do a bubble again. But an indoor sport with close contact? Seems like the most likely scenario for spreading between teams. Not sure how they will be successful outside of a bubble.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

The NBA used population scale testing, case isolation, and travel restrictions. It was a huge success! And lots of organizations could learn from them.

Runners run

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think the biggest thing for the NBA is next season. Clearly COVID will still be around, and they've indicated that they don't want to do a bubble again. But an indoor sport with close contact? Seems like the most likely scenario for spreading between teams. Not sure how they will be successful outside of a bubble.

Somehow the NHL was able to do it and even let the family members show up to hotels. According to internet rumors they've gone 9 weeks without a COVID 19 case. I'm sure it's possible without a vaccine or else we cancel sports, again. NFL seems to understand how to prevent the spread too. Fine anyone who approaches a ref without a mask on.

VDOT 53.37 

Somehow the NHL was able to do it and even let the family members show up to hotels. 

Their bubbles were all in Canada right?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yes. I don't see how the location is relevant since there is no vaccine for COVID 19 and the United States was under quarantine for three weeks to cure COVID 19 in March - April and it still hasn't gone away. Athletes in close proximity without masks are no different than private citizens in close proximity without masks to me. It's like getting herpes when you wore a condom. The forum was interested in how much the positive test rates would increase when the NHL announced family members would be allowed to visit players during the playoffs. Somehow literally nothing happened and yet no one celebrated this as a victory and said other sports should do it the way the NHL does it. WE just ignored it all.

VDOT 53.37 

Yeah but the NBA bubble was in Florida and they also let the families in for the last two rounds.

Runners run

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yeah but the NBA bubble was in Florida and they also let the families in for the last two rounds.

Florida is a weird state for COVID 19 data.

VDOT 53.37 

Just saying... any bubble in Canada over the last 3 months was going to have a leg up on any bubble in the USA during that time.

There were a lot of people going in and out of the bubble every day, they just didn't interact face to face with players. But there had to be hundreds of workers going in and out daily.

Half Crazy K 2.0

With allowing families in the NHL and NBA bubbles, is it possible the family members were required to quarantine for 2 weeks & test negative before entering the bubble? I don't really follow either sport, but I'm sure it wasn't a free for all letting family in.

With allowing families in the NHL and NBA bubbles, is it possible the family members were required to quarantine for 2 weeks & test negative before entering the bubble? I don't really follow either sport, but I'm sure it wasn't a free for all letting family in.

Yes that's basically what they did. At least in the NBA the families had to quarantine once inside the bubble before they could have contact with the players.

Runners run

Just saying... any bubble in Canada over the last 3 months was going to have a leg up on any bubble in the USA during that time.

And yet, the NBA was equally successful in not having cases. So its hard to say that having the two bubble cities in Canada made much difference.

Runners run

Running Problem

Problem Child

There were a lot of people going in and out of the bubble every day, they just didn't interact face to face with players. But there had to be hundreds of workers going in and out daily.

So a bubble in Canada where people enter and exit is better than America's COVID 19 where you can go watch a live recording of SNL as long as you get paid for it? Sounds like a double standard to me. One company can have their employees come and go as they please while the other is not supposed to have their employees around. Almost like McDonalds and Starbucks offering drive through services while other non-national/international businesses aren't allowed to operate due to them spreading COVID 19. Same industries and yet basketball entertainment can do what they want while movie and TV studios have to shut down.  Yeah I can support that. Canada is MUCH better at everything than America.

I can't wait for Joe Biden to win so we can finally stop wearing masks, stop waiting for the vaccine, and stop canceling or closing things honestly. It's depressing to just see so many people unemployed and locked up for two weeks just because they visited their husband/wife/went to work/live in a zipcode. Local colleges have already canceled spring break 2021 and after Thanksgiving they're not letting any students back in. I can't even imagine how I'd do a hands on lab online at this point. Sports can get together but wearing a lab coat with goggles and gloves is going to spread COVID 19. Logical.

edit: apparently it can now live for 28 days on glass. Good thing all the protective barriers I’ve encountered in public are plastic. Didn’t the New York governor say it can only live on a surface for a day or three back in april? Imagine if we knew what we know now then.

VDOT 53.37