Want to run (Read 859 times)

Gadget

I have been trying to run for so long you would not believe it but every time I run over half a mile one leg or the other starts with cramps in the calf. If I continue it gets worse if I rest for a few days I can run again but never get past the half mile stage. I've tried hydration, arch supports, compression stockings various trainers, lots of warm ups, barefoot, treadmill, daily runs, weekly runs I really don't know what to do.

I can cycle miles or use cross trainer for 30-50 mins no problem but I really want to run outdoors any suggestions please ....

#artbydmcbride

Barefoot?   Stability shoes?

Runners run

Go to a Local Running Store and get properly fitted for shoes. Dont go to Dick's or another chain. You'll pay more for the pair, but once you know they work for you--you can search out deals for the exact style online.

ymmv

walk a lot

then jog some of it.

then run.

Gadget

Thanks for the information after reading up decided to go back to basics, walking on treadmill and slowly building up from there. As there seems to be some bio mechanical problem I've also decided to go barefoot and see if I can't get over it.

jeffdonahue

Thanks for the information after reading up decided to go back to basics, walking on treadmill and slowly building up from there. As there seems to be some bio mechanical problem I've also decided to go barefoot and see if I can't get over it.

I wouldnt start on the treadmill if you want to run outside - just go outside for a walk instead and then start jogging some of it.  The treadmill is significantly different from outdoor running - i find my gait is a bit different, the pounding your legs takes is different.

The treadmill stride is different enough vs running outside that it may actually be causing the calf issues.  if running half a mile is causing this then by all  means run a quarter mile walk the next quarter and repeat until well done. 

run like T-Rex.

SportJester would be so proud of me, I think?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I have been trying to run for so long you would not believe it but every time I run over half a mile one leg or the other starts with cramps in the calf. If I continue it gets worse if I rest for a few days I can run again but never get past the half mile stage. I've tried hydration, arch supports, compression stockings various trainers, lots of warm ups, barefoot, treadmill, daily runs, weekly runs I really don't know what to do.

I can cycle miles or use cross trainer for 30-50 mins no problem but I really want to run outdoors any suggestions please ....

I'll have a crack at this--video-tape yourself, preferably on the treadmill from the side-view, and send it to me...or post it on YouTube or whatever.  And let me know what shoes you wear.  We'll start from there.

I'll have a crack at this--video-tape yourself, preferably on the treadmill from the side-view, and send it to me...or post it on YouTube or whatever.  And let me know what shoes you wear.  We'll start from there.

Video-tape yourself RUNNING is what I meant; by the way... ;o)

Maggie & Molly

Video-tape yourself RUNNING is what I meant; by the way... ;o)

good catch Big grin

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                        Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363