I feel stupid today (Read 978 times)

I feel pretty stupid today.....so hopefully my supidity will help someone else. I alway take off on Monday (need a rest day) and for me Friday is an optional day. If I feel really good, Ill run a short run but if I need a day from my Tue, Wed and Thurs runs, then I take it....So, things have been going really well and my running has felt great. I decided on Fri to do a couple....and felt good on Sat...but a little bit tired on Sunday's run. Yesterday is normally my day off as mentioned but I decided I could go for an easy 3 miles (SHOULD HAVE RESTED).......after about 250 yards, I knew I should stop (the running felt really bad...but I persisted in running a 2.5 mile circle...... Today my legs feel like CRUD and I will have to take my day off today - but I have a nice 5 mile planned wiht some frieds (and I will be calling off in a few minutes)..... Just seems really dumb to not do what you know is right and not listen to you body..........NEVER AGAIN... but for those type 'A' out there ----- don't be a dumb as I was yesterday and take your rest days......if you have a planned day off - take it-- you need it....and if you try to run, chances are you'll mess up your weekly schedule (like I did this week).... Just a little personal lesson that I learned today..... Sad

Champions are made when no one is watching

Scout7

Define: "crud". You could go run slow and easy.
        Define: "crud". You could go run slow and easy.
        Yes - could go slow and easy but all system are not go......sore.....and lethargic feeling - no enthusiasm for going out....that kind of crud...

mikeymike

Feeling like crud once in a while is part of the process.

Runners run

JakeKnight

What are "rest days?"

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

anneb

If you legs are feeling like crap on your mileage, I would wonder if you are running too fast/hard. But, fwiw, if your legs are sore from a workout, a super-easy few miles would probably make them feel better.

Anne

Thks Aeb....and others.... Wink Its more a case of running 7 days in a row and not forcing myselt to take a full recovery day...which I seem to need. I have found that I do very well if I run Tue, Wed, Thur - Sat and Sun...and take Mon and Fri off (with Fri as an optional day - so that if I feel really good, I go ahead and go for 2 or 3 on Fri).... I ended up going ahead last Fri and then trying to run on Mon...thus passing on my days off....causing me to be too tired/sore to maintain my normally scheduled workouts....... I feel stupid cause I know my limitatins and I know when I should take off (my body was tellin me)....and I decided to ignore what I know....... I dont think I have a problem.....except for what is between my ears (sometimes).......thanks everyone....

Scout7

I'm willing to bet you could drop the rest day if you ran easier on the other days.
                    I'm willing to bet you could drop the rest day if you ran easier on the other days.
                    You might be right......Often I run on Fri ---- I generally take the Fri rest day because I do interval training on Wed with a running coach and running club (and im usually fried after Wed)....and then go easy on Thrus....so its all in how I feel on Fri as to whether or not I go....I normally take off on Mon cause I try to go longer on Sat and Sun...so Im usually ready for day of rest... Week after next, Ill be slowing down a lot and increasing my mileage to 30 + (which is a good streach for me) so Ill have a chance to find out...

Funny how sticking to an exact schedule, at first just throws your system out when you vary from it. Just like running in the evenings then switching to morning runs. I found I had to changeup my running days quite a bit to get my weekly mileage in so that I could accomodate races. At first it sucks but eventually I think it makes you stronger. Usually I have Monday off after a long run, this upcoming Monday I have a HM to race. So, I have to run the bulk of my weekly mileage at the beginning of the week so that I can have an off day and 2 light days before the race. Which is the opposite of my typical week where the bulk of mileage gets run toward the end of the week. The same goes for windy days, if it's just training runs, who cares about the wind, run slower, in the end you put in the same effort.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Future running partner.

You might be right......Often I run on Fri ---- I generally take the Fri rest day because I do interval training on Wed with a running coach and running club (and im usually fried after Wed)....and then go easy on Thrus....so its all in how I feel on Fri as to whether or not I go....I normally take off on Mon cause I try to go longer on Sat and Sun...so Im usually ready for day of rest... Week after next, Ill be slowing down a lot and increasing my mileage to 30 + (which is a good streach for me) so Ill have a chance to find out...
                        I totally agree with what you said about listening to your body. Sounds like your pretty well in tune with your self and know your limitations. Sometimes we need to be objective about things and not let emotions and ambition get the better of us. You may be able to run slower and get more days in, but you may prefer a little more quality as apposed to quantity. Either way you'll improve and either way you'll still have fun. Also some of us recover at different rates then others. Like you said you may need that day off. It's perfecly ok. Even Ritzenhein takes a day off every week.