LongRunNick went over 75,000 miles run since 4/76 this morning! (Read 1230 times)

Been away from this forum for a long time. Was a newbie coach over on Coolrunning some yrs back. I just wanted to "brag" a little and see if there are any members who remember my mantra of start off easy, then back off. Soon to be 69, I am so grateful to still be logging between 40-50 miles per week. I run a lot slower, but still have a passion and love for running and all it has given me. I honestly think I love running more now than I ever have. With having competed in over 450 races from 1 mile to over 50 miles I have cut back some on the racing but am starting to focus on 1 more marathon (18 completed/PR of 3:16 back in '85 and a Boston Qualifier in 2008 of 3:57 at age 641/2). My goal is to have run a marathon or ultra in 5 decades. Have completed marathons/ultras in the 70's,80's,90's,2000's so running one in 2013 will do the trick. Thanks for letting me toot my horn. My ego gets in the way a lot, but I also hope this may motivate some folks and have them realize that There Is No Finish Line. Nick

Dave

Congratulations, Nick!  You were and continue to be an inspiration in consistency to many of us who date back to the old Coolrunning days.

Keep up the good work!

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Nick - So wonderful to see you here - it has been a while since you've posted. You are such an inspiration to so many of us! You are absolutely right - there is no finish line.

TRUST THE PROCESS

BeeRunB

Congrats, Nick. 75,000 is monster.

Stay around, miss you posting.

You always have a solid, long-term thinking message, and one that you prove works, as shown

by your longevity.

Keep going! Cool

--Jimmy

That there is a lot of miles. I saw this on the back of a shirt at a race once- "Start slow and taper."

MTA - I first logged miles back on Cool Running.

Hoodoo Guru

You know you're going to ruin your knees.

The tangents are moot.

bhearn

Congratulations, Nick!

Is it my imagination, or do I recall you posting about passing 50,000 in Coolrunning, maybe 2004-2005? I can almost remember the text of the post -- something like "what a way to mention that I've now run 50,000 miles". If not you, it was someone else.

Why is it sideways?

Congratulations, Nick!

Is it my imagination, or do I recall you posting about passing 50,000 in Coolrunning, maybe 2004-2005? I can almost remember the text of the post -- something like "what a way to mention that I've now run 50,000 miles". If not you, it was someone else.

Wow--25,000 miles in 6 to 8 years then, at the age of 68! Incredible!

Wow--25,000 miles in 6 to 8 years then, at the age of 68! Incredible!

Please let me set the record straight. I went over 50,000 miles back in 2000. When I was active on Cool Running I often mentioned my over 50,000 miles run, not so much to brag, but to hopefully add a little credibility to what I was posting. I have never fudged my running miles- well once in awhile I may have rounded up say, 7.8 miles to 8 miles, but then would list an 8.3 mile run as an 8 miler. Back in the 70's and into the 80's I found riding my bike over my main running routes got me a pretty accurate distance. I jumped on the Gps bandwagon when Garmin introduced the old 101, lovingly called the brick. Having retired from the military 25 yrs ago and settling in Tallahassee I have measured my routes numerous times with several different bike devices, a device called Fit Sense and newer models of Garmin and Timex GPS units. I have calculated that I have averaged just over 40 miles a week for 35 yrs/10 months. Rarely do I run over 50 miles a week and rarer under 30 per week. I had PF back in '97-98 that kept me on a bike pretty much for about a year. I think I only ran about 500 miles that yr. Had a slight Achilles injury in '10 and logged about 1600 miles--but made up for it with over 3,000 miles on my hybrid bike. Currently "fighting a little PF" but will nail 200 miles for Feb. Those have been my only running injuries. I don't count flipping off my bike and breaking my collarbone. I was back running in less than a week-- sling and all. I have always taken at least 1 day a week off as a rest day from running. Geez, sorry I rambled on. You should be glad you have never run with me, I have a tendency to talk a lot. The "loneliness of the long distance runner" is a myth to me. Just ask the squirrels along my running routes. Keep running. Nick

Why is it sideways?

That is some consistency. Hope I am still rolling 30 years from now. Cheers!

jfa

Awesome Nick and really good to see you again. Your advice was some of the best given over at Cool Running. After being here a while, it's the same good advice. Go mostly easy, sometimes hard.

You're an inspiration, particularly to some of us older kids.

Long may you run.

Amazing, Nick!  I, too, remember you from the CoolRunning days.  You are truly an inspiration.

Um . . . do the squirrels talk back??? 

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Congrats Nick, thanks to your sage advice on the old Cool Running site I have stayed away from the "I used to run Club" and like you enjoy my miles more than ever!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Amazing, Nick!  I, too, remember you from the CoolRunning days.  You are truly an inspiration.

Um . . . do the squirrels talk back??? 

The squirrels don't get much of an opportunity to say much with me talking so much, when they do get a few words in they tell me they can run a lot faster than I can. I am glad you and others from CR are still running. Super!

Queen of 3rd Place

Congrats Nick, thanks to your sage advice on the old Cool Running site I have stayed away from the "I used to run Club" and like you enjoy my miles more than ever!

My thoughts exactly. Nick made me slow down, which has made me be able to keep going. The rest of youse have taught me how to improve without making too many stupid mistakes.

Ex runner