Bet Boston Marathon will be cancelled this year (Read 174 times)

delicate flower

NJ Marathon definitely getting cancelled. I signed up for it as a backup too, but NJ already banned groups of larger than 250 for the next month. So unless this virus magically disappears, NJ won't be run either.

Yeah I realize NJ getting cancelled is a real possibility so I will not register until race week.

<3

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

delete duplicate post

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Not canceled. Where is my money?

https://www.baa.org/124th-boston-marathon-postponed-september-14

124th Boston Marathon Postponed to September 14

<article>

The Boston Athletic Association (B.A.A.) has been meeting regularly with city and state officials to discuss all updates related to the coronavirus (COVID-19). Governor Charlie Baker declared a state of emergency on March 10, 2020. In consideration of this and guided by Boston Mayor Martin Walsh along with state and municipal government leaders at all levels to undertake all possible measures to safeguard the health of the public, the B.A.A. understands the city’s decision that the Boston Marathon cannot be held on April 20, 2020. We offer our full support to take all reasonable efforts to postpone the 124th Boston Marathon to Monday, September 14, 2020.

“On matters of public health and safety we take our guidance from the officials entrusted with protecting the public in this area,” said Tom Grilk, C.E.O. of the B.A.A. “We understand our role, along with our partners, in ensuring a safe environment for all participants, volunteers, spectators, and supporters that meets the standards set by those officials.”

The B.A.A. has been cooperating with municipal leaders across the eight cities and towns through which the marathon course runs to coordinate the September 14 date for the 124th Boston Marathon. The B.A.A. 5K, which draws a field of 10,000 participants, will also be rescheduled to a later date.

“The B.A.A.’s mission of promoting health through sports, especially running, has guided our organization for more than a century. In collaboration with our many partners, we look forward to welcoming the world to Boston in September in celebration of the 124th Boston Marathon,” Grilk said.

Registered participants and volunteers will receive additional information in the coming days. As this is a rapidly evolving situation, further details will be forthcoming.

</article>

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

NJ Marathon definitely getting cancelled. I signed up for it as a backup too, but NJ already banned groups of larger than 250 for the next month. So unless this virus magically disappears, NJ won't be run either.

<h6>Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon</h6>

<abbr>Yesterday at 11:28 AM</abbr> ·

Runners,

We know a lot of you are busy training for spring races, including ours, and have questions and concerns about the impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the race. As of right now, here is where things stand with our New Jersey Marathon events:

We are monitoring the situation closely in coordination with our municipality partners, public health officials and the CDC. The health and safety of our athletes, spectators, volunteers, staff and partners are of primary concern and we will continue to stay informed on the matter as the events get closer and more information becomes available. At this time, there are no changes planned to our race weekend schedule. Should that change, we will communicate it through our website and social media channels, as well as via email.

Thank you for your patience as we navigate this unique situation and work to make a decision that is in the best interest of our athletes and community and prioritizes safety above all else.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

My hunch is that it's way too early for NJ to cancel.  Unless there's some government order that makes it clear that gatherings will still be banned in late April, they'll wait until 2 weeks before.

This is all so very fluid.  Things have changed a lot from Monday of this week.  My bet is by the end of March, things will look very different.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Runners,

We know a lot of you are busy training for spring races, including ours, and have questions and concerns about the impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the race. As of right now, here is where things stand with our New Jersey Marathon [insert name of every single race ~1-2 months out] events:

We are monitoring the situation closely in coordination with our municipality partners, public health officials and the CDC. The health and safety of our athletes, spectators, volunteers, staff and partners are of primary concern and we will continue to stay informed on the matter as the events get closer and more information becomes available. At this time, there are no changes planned to our race weekend schedule. Should that change, we will communicate it through our website and social media channels, as well as via email.

Thank you for your patience as we navigate this unique situation and work to make a decision that is in the best interest of our athletes and community and prioritizes safety above all else.

Pretty much this.

Dave

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

I've got an ultra scheduled for April 4th.  This one is not big and would likely fly under the 250-person event limit a lot of states are imposing (though I've not heard that we here in Virginia are under a similar ban).  Still no word on if it's still on.  I'm hoping it doesn't get canceled.

Running Problem

Problem Child

All bets are off if the President declares a State of Emergency like some people want him to.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

All bets are off.

mikeymike

From declaring Coronavirus a hoax to a state of emergency in 13 days. Phew.

Per CNN he's going without a teleprompter for his 3pm announcement. Let it flow, big dog. Let it all out.

Runners run

joescott

Well, it's clearly not a hoax, but we are also clearly not in a state of emergency.  That is, unless the panic and fear and over-exaggeration and over-reactions drive us to such a state of fear that it cripples our society to the point it takes a long time to come back out of our bunkers.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Running Problem

Problem Child

From declaring Coronavirus a hoax to a state of emergency in 13 days. Phew.

Per CNN he's going without a teleprompter for his 3pm announcement. Let it flow, big dog. Let it all out.

LMAO! Per CNN this was the Wuhan Coronavirus. Maybe he will use paper and lick his finger to turn the pages like the woman who gave a speech about it already.

EDIT: I believe the "state of emergency" allows changes with unemployment and government assistance for food purchase (SNAP/Food Stamps/Welfare/etc.) which would be a reason to declare a state of emergency. I'm not the President, and I don't follow politics so I'm not the best source of information.

VDOT 53.37