Taper for first 1/2? (Read 132 times)

dirtroadrunner

Or don't? More for marathons? This longer distance running is still new to me! My first half is in about 3 weeks. My goal is just to finish and enjoy the experiene. life hasn't been too cooperative with training like I wanted too but it's gotten done.

npaden

I vote to taper, but not anything crazy like some folks recommend starting 3 weeks out for a half.  Generally I've heard last super hard workout or long run 10 days before the race.  You're probably okay doing a decent long run 7 days before depending on your normal volume, maybe a couple miles less than your current long run.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Not dead. Yet.

I was going to say taper, but your log is kind of sparse.  I would take the day off two days before the race and go very light with strides the day before.  Maybe don't do a long run that week.  Otherwise, I think your load is light enough not to need any more of a  taper.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

I am in a bit different situation but still wondering about tapering for HM. My HM is next Saturday, but 8 weeks later I have a FM, which has been more the focus of my training. So I want to make sure I am fresh for the HM, but not lose too much from FM training. I plan a LR today, but not sure how long to make it. And I am sort of planning on making this more or less a regular week but cutting it off a couple days early. Thoughts?

Dave

SMART Approach

dirtroadrunner

With your low miles, you can't afford to taper. Just don't do anything crazy or too hard the 3-4 days before the race but do run that last week just watch intensity.

DaveP MI

This half marathon can only help your full marathon in 8 weeks. It is a good test of your current fitness level and also provides an incredible physiological training stimulus. You will come back stronger and recover in plenty of time but you do need to take it easy the week after the half. As far as today's work out, do a longer run and mix in a couple or few miles at your estimated half pace. A medium long run with quality will be just as good as a longer run but if you want to go longer, that is fine, just keep it easy.  You can run all of this week, but take it easy with lower miles later in week with less intensity. Then let it go in the half.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

mikeymike

What Tchuck said.

Runners run

I'm in the same situation as OP.  First HM in 3 weeks and I plan to cut my long run down to 6-8 miles 7 days before the race and also take an extra day off the week of the race.  Anyone care to look at my log and see if that seems reasonable?

Eric

PRs:  5k - (20:42) 3/9/2013 18:55 (9/28/13)

10k - (42:42) 3/23/2013 39:11 (10/26/13) course was short @ 6.0 mi :)

10 mi - (1:12:10) 4/6/2013

HM - (1:34:38) 4/27/2013

dirtroadrunner

Thanks everyone! I was thinking no taper bc you are correct my miles are sparse (although my body might disagree Wink ) I had set out for having a good full 6 months for training but like I said life has happened over and over! and 3 young ones and a whole bunch of cattle. My days stay packed. I am amazed at what we can train our bodies to do in a short time though!! I'm hoping my fall 1/2 will be a huge improvement.

SMART Approach

I'm in the same situation as OP.  First HM in 3 weeks and I plan to cut my long run down to 6-8 miles 7 days before the race and also take an extra day off the week of the race.  Anyone care to look at my log and see if that seems reasonable?

That's reasonable but you really haven't done too many extended long runs. I see no issue doing 8-9 miles 7-9 days before your half. You could throw in 2-3 miles at end of run at half marathon pace effort.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

DDXD

Slower than I look

I'm not very experienced but I did just run my first half about a month ago.  In hindsight, one of the things I wish I would have done a bit differently is the taper.  Specifically the fact that I took two complete rest days before the half.  I think I would have performed better by just doing 2-3 mile slow jogs on at least one (if not both) of those days to keep my body accustomed to running without beating up my legs.  Maybe this is different for others but there seems to be less of a shock value to my body, hr, breathing, etc when I run consecutive days (as opposed to taking rest days).

That's reasonable but you really haven't done too many extended long runs. I see no issue doing 8-9 miles 7-9 days before your half. You could throw in 2-3 miles at end of run at half marathon pace effort.

Thanks, 8-9 does make more sense since I'm planning for 11-12 next weekend.  I was also planning a mid-week 4-5 at HM pace this week and next.  Do u think that's better done at the end of the long run instead?

Eric

SMART Approach

I think 4 miles at tempo or HM effort is reasonable but include a mile or two warm up and cooldown to give yourself a quality work out with some "miles". You get more bang for your buck. Be sure to ease into the half marathon effort or even do 4 x 1 mile at half effort with 60-90 sec jog.  After the half marathon miles, do 4 X 200m at a quick pace with full recovery between. You now have a work out with multi paces and miles to boot.   On your low miles per week, one quality work out is sufficient and if you add anything, a faster finish longer run would be it.  I think some faster finish long runs add confidence and a great conditioning effect. I usually recommend the last 20% of a long run at marathon pace or a tad faster. As long as it is quicker on semi-tired legs, the positive effect is realized.

Thanks, I'm still new to all this, but that's making sense the way you explained it.  I think I will keep it to just one quality workout per week because I'm still technically coming back from injury.  I'm really liking the idea of the multi-paced midweek run just like you outlined.  Thanks for your time! 

Eric