I saw three shooting stars this morning! (Read 127 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

Beautiful out early this morning, crisp 25 degrees or so with clear skies and a nice half moon. Just doing an easy 6 miles, I saw shooting stars three different times. Must be a meteor shower going on or something. Really beautiful. I was glad I got up to go run before work. But makes me dread, even more, the coming of ice when I have to move inside for the winter.

bhearn

Hmm, a little late for Orionids (associated with Halley's Comet); they peaked the night of the 21st.

But any given night, if you have dark skies and watch long enough, you will see a few. Just random specks of dust wandering through the solar system.

northernman

Fight The Future

These were big suckers. I have crappy night vision and the moon was bright. Hmm, probably just flying saucers instead of meteors

I saw one too this morning.  Usually see one every two weeks or so.  Love running early in the morning.  So peaceful.

Yep, I also saw a nice one yesterday morning, too.  Probably the brightest and longest path I've ever witnessed.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I saw one too this morning.  Usually see one every two weeks or so.  Love running early in the morning.  So peaceful.

+1.  I haven't seen any recently, but it's a treat when I do.

spinach

i saw a couple this morning, while driving in to run with my running club.  A cold run today but a neat sight on the way.

love it when I see a shooting star!  Just think of all the "poor" people still in bed and missing out on that.  Pre dawn is my favorite time to run!  So peaceful!  Just me and my feet hitting the pavement!  Love it!

Runner100

Here's a site where you can check when the space station (ISS) is passing over your neck of the woods. If you haven't seen it before it's really cool. it's a really bright starlike object zipping across the sky (17,000 miles per hour pace!). You can often watch it slowly fade away as it passes into the earth's shadow.

http://www.heavens-above.com

GabrielleB

No shooting stars in urban Southern California. I would nerd out if I saw one, too. Love your joy in the simple pleasures.

(As I type, it just started POURING. I'm about as excited as you were with your shooting stars.)

Feeling the growl again

Here's a site where you can check when the space station (ISS) is passing over your neck of the woods. If you haven't seen it before it's really cool. it's a really bright starlike object zipping across the sky (17,000 miles per hour pace!). You can often watch it slowly fade away as it passes into the earth's shadow.

http://www.heavens-above.com

Favorite campfire pastime when in the middle of nowhere....spotting random satellites at night.  Saw the old MIR that way once, as well as the Space Shuttle.  Bonus points if you are good enough to differentiate a real satellite from a discarded rocket third stage.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

KeepCalmRunOn

Wow thats awesome! I saw a shooting star a few weeks ago they are so amazing to me wish I saw them more often!