To rest or not to rest? (Read 185 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

My apologies - this should probably go in the "Health and Nutrition" forum, but frankly, this forum is more heavily traveled and time is of the essence...

The past week-and-a-half, I've been dealing with a minor pain in my upper right bun that I initially ascribed to the piriformis.  It's not a pain that I judge to be acute enough to stop running entirely - I can maintain form just fine - and since the run that it first showed up, it has gotten steadily better.

Still lingering a little, though, especially after harder workouts like last night.

Today is the "off day" in my plan, during which I usually do some cross-training in the form of strength training (with weights) and recumbent bike.  Debating taking the day off entirely, especially since tomorrow is another hard day (MP tempo run).  Or possibly going ahead with some strength training, just laying off the stuff that works the upper thighs and/or lower back (I'm not entirely sure I could say for sure exactly which of those is hurting).

I'm copping out and asking the opinions of internet strangers because...I HATE strength training, even though I'm a big believer that it helps my running and helps to prevent injury (indeed, in the weeks leading up to this...injury?...I had laid off the strength training due to an illness).  So I'm worried I may be using this little ouchy as an excuse to slack.  What do you think, internet?

...and again, this is clearly an "H&N" question, and I'm sorry.  It's just been my experience that replies there tend to trickle in over the course of a few days.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

The golden rule is; "If in doubt, do less."  When there's any "soreness" in the muscle, that most probably means that area/spot is irritated.  Strength training is probably the worst thing you can do to that area.  Nice EASY jog, if it doesn't hurt/irritate, is better than nothing; followed by EASY gentle stretch and ice massage.  I would ease up on tomorrow's hard workout as well; taking at least 3 easy days like that (not complete rest).  If you're following one of those "3 hard training days a week" routine with hard cross training in between; I highly recommend not to.

My apologies - this should probably go in the "Health and Nutrition" forum, but frankly, this forum is more heavily traveled and time is of the essence...

The past week-and-a-half, I've been dealing with a minor pain in my upper right bun that I initially ascribed to the piriformis.  It's not a pain that I judge to be acute enough to stop running entirely - I can maintain form just fine - and since the run that it first showed up, it has gotten steadily better.

Still lingering a little, though, especially after harder workouts like last night.

Today is the "off day" in my plan, during which I usually do some cross-training in the form of strength training (with weights) and recumbent bike.  Debating taking the day off entirely, especially since tomorrow is another hard day (MP tempo run).  Or possibly going ahead with some strength training, just laying off the stuff that works the upper thighs and/or lower back (I'm not entirely sure I could say for sure exactly which of those is hurting).

I'm copping out and asking the opinions of internet strangers because...I HATE strength training, even though I'm a big believer that it helps my running and helps to prevent injury (indeed, in the weeks leading up to this...injury?...I had laid off the strength training due to an illness).  So I'm worried I may be using this little ouchy as an excuse to slack.  What do you think, internet?

...and again, this is clearly an "H&N" question, and I'm sorry.  It's just been my experience that replies there tend to trickle in over the course of a few days.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Thanks, Nobby.  I did have four "easy" days in a row last week (built into the plan).  It did indeed feel better after that. There's just still that twinge...that could mean I need to sit on my butt and play computer games tonight. lol

I did realize, I should clarify...if I go to the gym tonight, it will be the first real strength training I've done in...oh, since about the middle of January.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

My upper left bun has hurt for a year and a half now!  I took off three weeks (well, doing other things) and it just picked up where it left off when I started running again.  In other words, no excuse for slacking.  Run more. :-)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

My upper left bun has hurt for a year and a half now!  I took off three weeks (well, doing other things) and it just picked up where it left off when I started running again.  In other words, no excuse for slacking.  Run more. :-)

Thanks, ilanarama!  You're actually one of the voices in my head that argues back and forth when things like this come up.  You sound a little like Helen Hunt, but with a slight Chicago accent, if you're interested.  I'm afraid my right bun may be in for the same ordeal as your left, and that's one reason I was hesitant to skip.  If it's a choice between skipping something beneficial and still hurting when I run and doing something beneficial and still hurting, I'll take the former.  Though I'd hate to make it worse, and like I say, I haven't tried strength training since it happened.

Anyway, I'd just about made up my mind to go ahead with the strength workout when I realized how tired (as in sleepy) I am, and remembered the crazy day I have tomorrow.  That MP tempo run?  It's going to need to start at about 4:00 a.m., then a full day of teaching, and then the wife and I are going to the shooting range, of all places.  First time for both of us, at least without a more experienced friend along (and only the second time, period).

So, for many reasons, I think it would be highly advisable to take it easy and get plenty of sleep tonight, so I don't get an injury of either the leaded or unleaded variety tomorrow.

Hill Slug

Have you tried using a tenns ball to massage the area?  This helps my piriformis issues.  My kids think it's funny to see me rolling around on the ball.

good luck!

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

some call me Tim

I'd be careful with this... no good to stretch an injured area, but  this particular installment of the mobility wod loosened up things in that area that I didn't even know were tight:

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/09/its-just-movement-break-it-down.html

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I may try the tennis ball thing, thanks, molly and blargendarg.

MP run went well this morning.  Felt a ghost of that pain back there, but very faint.  And, I was definitely appreciative of the couple extra hours of sleep the break afforded me when the alarm went off this morning.

Unrelated to the booty pain, this was also the first time since the start of this cycle (Hansons Advanced) that MP started to feel good, like there may be hope that I'll be able to sustain it for 26.2 by the end of April.  It was weird...for the first three miles or so, it was an effort which on past MP runs has caused me to question whether I'm correct about my fitness level, and then with an almost tangible "thump," I dropped into a comfy stride and I was debating whether to add another half-mile or so at the end (I didn't, of course).  Pretty cool.