Afternoon 5k's (Read 318 times)

When I race in the morning, I can wake up and eat a Clif Bar and an apple, and I know I'm getting good carbs. Tomorrow though, I race my first 5k ever, and it's at 5pm. Just wanting to make sure that I don't make a mistake on what to eat. Not planning on trying anything new, but just wanting to get some recommendations as to what food would be a good one to avoid. I plan on waking up and eating a nice bowl of Oatmeal Squares for breakfast. Lunch, I was just going to go with some turkey and cheese on whole wheat. Then maybe about 3 pm, was planning on hitting out an apple or so. The goal is to avoid the side stitch. What have you found that causes side stitch's.
    mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

For me it's going out too fast / breathing too hard. I've heard it called "oxygen debt". It gets better if I slow down a little and force myself to breathe from my abdomen ("belly breathing"?). I've never related it to food / what I've eaten before a race. I've also been told by several faster than me that it's a cramp in your breathing muscles, and you won't injure yourself by running through it. So if you can bear it, keep going. You'll finish sooner Wink.