Asheville Biltmore RR - or why I dislike marathons (Read 344 times)

Docket_Rocket

Sorry to hear the race didn't go well.

I feel like I hate marathons while doing them, but that fades out immediately after I cross the finish line and sign up for another.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Queen of 3rd Place

Perhaps you should check out getting hit on the head lessons. Or, run the Monkey.

Ex runner

No more marathons

Perhaps you should check out getting hit on the head lessons. Or, run the Monkey.

Ha, that's it.  If feels so good when I stop! 

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

NHLA

Hi we are near neighbors.  I have run a few races at Biltmore and its a shame they can't get their act together.  Getting thru the gate and the few bathrooms suck.

Right on Hereford...

So, to summarize, you hate marathons and yet you signed up for one and did it.

And, you still hate them.

And, you're doing another one next month.

No more marathons

So, to summarize, you hate marathons and yet you signed up for one and did it.

And, you still hate them.

And, you're doing another one next month.

Yep, pretty close.  Only that the next one is next year - didn't get my BQ in time to get in this year.  That's what actually started all this marathon bs.  My DS ran his first marathon last year at the age of 18 and ran a 2:42 to win.  So I started on a goal to get my BQ to run with him.  Completely bombed on my first attempt in Quebec in August, and succeeded in my second in October - but too late for 2013.  The Asheville marathon came up before I'd even run the first one and remembered how much I do not like the distance.  Thought it would be nice to run an inaugural event.  Still glad I did - won't do it again.  Of course, there are other races I've run that I won't do again.  Look up Rock 2 Rock 10K.

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Hi we are near neighbors.  I have run a few races at Biltmore and its a shame they can't get their act together.  Getting thru the gate and the few bathrooms suck.

Yeah, there were a few problems like that, but all in all I think they did a reasonably good job for a first event, and especially given the weather conditions.  The volunteers were absolutely amazing.  They were just as cold (or colder) than the runners but they kept up good spirits throughout.  The condition of the course could have been spelled out a little better, but they did say much of it would be off paved roads.  Without any ability to pre screen the course (that's the Biltmore - most of the course was on parts that visitors are not given access to) we couldn't tell that it really was more a trail marathon than not.  And the condition of some of the off-road areas were less than ideal.  I would have had slightly different expectations with that knowledge (probably wouldn't have run any different - stubborn that way).  My expectation is that if they decide to do again next year, it will sell out again.

He's a leaker!

NHLA

Come run Cradle to Grave 30k in Hendersonville. Great course for a trail race.

Hill Slug

BlueSky - I think you did a great job considering weather conditions and course conditions. 4:15 PW ain't so shabby! Hope with a little time you come to realize that you did a solid race!

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

No more marathons

BlueSky - I think you did a great job considering weather conditions and course conditions. 4:15 PW ain't so shabby! Hope with a little time you come to realize that you did a solid race!

Thanks molly - actually I think I'm already there.  After looking at the stats after the race, and talking to others I realize that I underestimated the difficulty of this course.  Don't know that it would have made any difference in how I approached the race - I always figure nothing ventured nothing gained - but this really was more a trail marathon than anything else.  So given the tough course, and the weather conditions, I'm fine with my 6th in age and overall finish.  After all, I did finish.  Big grin

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Come run Cradle to Grave 30k in Hendersonville. Great course for a trail race.

I've been looking at this!  I only hope someone talks me out of it.  But I believe my DS will be home from college and this type of race is right up his alley - so if he runs I probably will too.

He's a leaker!

Who organized the Asheville (Biltmore) Marathon?  I've run the Biltmore-Kiwanis Classic 15km twice, and it's been smooth as silk each time.  iDaph does registration, but the Kiwanis Club folks do the actual RD'ing (I believe, anyway).

FWIW, here's the course description for the marathon:

Course Description

The marathon course is run entirely on the scenic grounds of the Biltmore Estate. The first seven miles of the course has two tall hills, while the middle section of the course is downhill-to-flat with a mixture of valley and rolling terrain. The final miles of the marathon are completely flat. Approximately 1/3 of the race will be run on paved surfaces and the other 2/3 of the marathon will be on dirt and gravel roads.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

No more marathons

Who organized the Asheville (Biltmore) Marathon?  I've run the Biltmore-Kiwanis Classic 15km twice, and it's been smooth as silk each time.  iDaph does registration, but the Kiwanis Club folks do the actual RD'ing (I believe, anyway).

FWIW, here's the course description for the marathon:

Course Description

The marathon course is run entirely on the scenic grounds of the Biltmore Estate. The first seven miles of the course has two tall hills, while the middle section of the course is downhill-to-flat with a mixture of valley and rolling terrain. The final miles of the marathon are completely flat. Approximately 1/3 of the race will be run on paved surfaces and the other 2/3 of the marathon will be on dirt and gravel roads.

I hope I did not give the impression that I was casting stones at the race organizers - because that was certainly not my intention.  In fact, I think they did a great job, especially given the late breaking weather pattern that hit.  They reacted appropritely to the cold, and even included gloves in our race packets, and had blankets at the end - both with the Asheville Biltmore Marathon logo on the item.  Not sure if they had included these from the beginning, or just did a great job of responding to the change in weather, but either way both were appropriate.  There was a short delay for the start of the race due to back up of traffic getting into the grounds, but even that was minimal and they had lots of people on hand to move traffic as quickly as possible.  They had heaters set up to help offset the cold and tents to get out of the wind.  I can't comment on the porta potties - being male my options were limitless. Big grin.

As for the course itself, it was exactly as they advertised - and then some.  Having no option to preview the course (other than that which was part of the previous 15K events - which were great), there was no way to know just how difficult the unpaved portions would be.  And since I consider myself to be a road runner (meep meep) any uneveness in terrain will effect me - possibly more so than others.

All in all, it was a good marathon.  If someone were to ask me if they should run it I would simply make sure they understand that it is a relatively tough course (IMHO), and don't necessarily look for a PR.  It was interesting, and for me the unique nature of an inaugural event was the attraction.  I'm glad I ran it, and I'm even more glad I finished.

He's a leaker!