What to do at stoplights /crosswalks??? (Read 762 times)

Ok this is a 2 part question. One is : do you all stop your watch timers at stoplights / crosswalks or do you let them run through?? Especially interested in those that wear garmins/gps and such. part two is WHILE you are standing there for up to 45 seconds sometimes, do you stop running, run in place, jumping jacks / pushups ?? Just curious as I know I spent at least 2 minutes tonight waiting for a couple stoplights. I have always let my clock continue to run and I know it slows my pace but its ok for me.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Fanilow

Sometimes I pause my timer and sometimes I dint, but I always thank God for the temporary break. Wink

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

J-L-C

I stop my garmin if I'm not running. That includes "walking" through an intersection or even just slowing down to dodge cars through an intersection.

I don't care about my walk/stop time or speed, I care about my running time/speed so the watch only goes on those periods.

I really depends what you want your data to show. First thing to remember is nobody else cares about how fast/slow you're running, so it's just about how you want to use the information.

If I'm running at a particular target pace and want to keep that pace then I tend to stop the watch if I'm forced to stop - a couple of minutes will make a big difference to the average time and mess things up. Alternatively I press the lap key when I start again so that I can use the average lap pace as my target.  But - when I know I'm in this situation I try to avoid routes where stopping is likely.

If I'm just doing an easy run then I don't really care about the time ... I don't really look at the watch, it's just on to record the distance run for my log. So I don't stop the watch.

I'm on trails most of the time so lights not an issue. When I do use the new bike path, the one light and a couple small intersections are in the first 5-7 min so part of the warmup. If I'm doing a workout on that path, I wait until I'm past all the distractions, tunnels, etc before I start the workout - so about 25 min warmup and cooldown on return.

When I used to run roads and I had the other bikepath, I let the watch run the whole time. When I was new, I used to jog in place at the lights, but later just stopped at the light. That path has too many intersections, traffic, and lights now to be as useful as it once was.

Timing the stopped time on a trail is sometimes important since that could be "transition" time while fixing a pack or "recovery" time between intervals, depending upon what I'm doing. One of my races had water resupply from a stream so refill time was important - clock is still running.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            Slo

The only time my actual pace / distance is important to me is when I'm at the track, running tempo's or racing.

For the most part I let the timer run unless I'm held up for something like a train.

Really, what changes to your training is 30 secs, give or take, over a 5 mile run going to make? If I'm being held up 2 mins like the OP then I'd find a different place to run.

When I had a garmin I used the auto pause feature to stop when I stopped.

I stop the watch (always). I never jog/walk in place.... I just stop. I don't mind stopping on an easy run. I'll do it for any number of reasons, e.g., to pet a dog, observe wildlife, pee, drink. It's just not an issue to me.

xhristopher

If it looks like I'll have to wait I'll pause my watch. I never want to feel in such a rush to carry on that I compromise my safety so pausing the watch helps me mentally shift gears. While waiting I just stand around. Enjoy the break.

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

I keep the "autopause" feature activated on my Garmin FR 305. There are a few drinking fountains in the area of Minneapolis that I run in, so rather that lugging water around with me, I will stop at the fountains and there are also a couple of intersections that I sometimes have to wait for traffic to clear. Before I started using this feature, I would occasionally forget to restart my watch after stopping. The autopause works pretty well for the most part except when it is really overcast, then there is a bit of lag time while the watch is deciding whether you are moving or not.

delicate flower

I pause my watch and enjoy the brief rest period.  I go by average moving pace when I check my data after the run.  I actually feel disappointed sometimes when I come to a crosswalk and the "walk" sign is lit.  Dammit, I wanted a rest!

That said, my routes are usually stop-free.  When I run on the rail trail though, it's out-and-back and crosses a major a road a couple of times.  The rail trail ribbons the road.  So I could have four stops on a 12 mile run.

<3

I stop my watch--I'm interested in how long I was running, not how long I was gone. I don't jog in place. I just stand there until I see an opportunity to go.

I experienced an awkward moment once at a stoplight when a jogger got there a half second before me (we were coming from opposite directions but both waiting to cross in the same direction).  Before he saw me, he started jogging in place--and not just any jogging in place, like a really exaggerated  jazzercise jogging in place. When I got there and just stopped, it became really weird. He had a moment when he sort of glanced at me and I could tell he thought about stopping but then he didn't and he had missed his window. It would have been more awkward to stop now versus just keeping up the bouncy jazzercise until the light changed. FINALLY the light turned and I took off. I think we were both relieved to put the whole thing behind us.

Remember:

Runners run

bluerun

Super B****

It's rare for me to actually stop at a stoplight or crosswalk -- if I can't cross right then, I usually just turn another way to avoid having to stop.  But if I have no choice but to wait, then I pause my watch.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

If the light is red at an intersection or there are cars when I want to cross the road, I will continue running around the block or the road. I sometimes loop back, or just continue on to the next intersection. If I do wait (usually when I'm running with others), then I stop totally and pause the Garmin.
                            TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I always pause my watch and never jog in place.

steph  

For almost all of my runs, I pause it when I stop for any reason.  If I am doing something constant-effort sensitive, like a tempo, I will go somewhere without a chance of this happening (such as a park with a one mile paved loop; out to very, very low-traffic country roads with only left turns; etc).

The only exception is "time on feet" runs for ultramarathon training.  I have not done these in a long time, but during those, the breaks count.

I don't jog in place.  I don't think it provides any real running-related benefit.  I will pet my dog if she's with me.  Like J-L-C, I usually unpause after I'm through the intersection, because I really don't want to be screwing with a start/stop button when cars are near.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                                Emil Zatopek