Stopped running due to stupid reason (Read 836 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

File this under TMI probably. Just diagnosed with "Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo", short for "I'm not really drunk, officer, I just walk like one". Good thing it started after my marathon, but of course everyone I know started blaming the marathon for my "drunken-ness" the last two days...

#artbydmcbride

Dang!  Is it only temporary?  Can they fix you?

Runners run

Wing

Joggaholic

Dang!  Is it only temporary?  Can they fix you?

Doc said it's could be a day, could be a week, it'll go away on its own after "some time". Or I can take some kind of OTC medication. Guess I'll have to wait a few more days and see how it goes.

Hey, at least I'm not puking... yet... Smile

My boss had that for a while.  It went away.

Good luck! 

- Anya

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Ooph.  Well, you have good karma, because this is a perfect time to have something like this -- when all your work is done, and next season is far way still.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

kcam

File this under TMI probably. Just diagnosed with "Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo", short for "I'm not really drunk, officer, I just walk like one". Good thing it started after my marathon, but of course everyone I know started blaming the marathon for my "drunken-ness" the last two days...

Hopefully, you don't drive like one.  I want to put a 'smiley' after that comment but then again, I don't.  Hope it goes away quickly.

Best Present Ever

Have you tried this? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epley_maneuver
                Wing

Joggaholic

Have you tried this? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epley_maneuver

I tried Brandt-Daroff and Semont so far since they don't need an extra helper, haven't tried Epley yet. This condition is really annoying, when I'm not walking like a drunk I'm walking like a zombie trying to keep my head in upright-and-locked-position....

Thanks for the link Smile

BeeRunB

I hope you heal and get your equilibrium back quickly, and quicker than expected. Cool

You'll be back running before you know it.

Only worry if you start seeing this woman below in your life:

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Vertigo is one of the most annoying things ever.  I'll get a few bouts every year without warning for about the past 15 years.  It sucks, since you don't feel ill, but you can't go anywhere, since driving is bad news and dangerous.  Hopefully it passes quickly for you.  I've never had it last more than 2 days and it really helps to be up and around and moving your head around gently.  I also find that taking antihistamines and/or decongestants help a lot.  Dramamine II (meclizine) is the OTC med that will help with the nausea, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My BIL had it for awhile and he works on towers. He had to stop working for awhile until it finally went away.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Wing,

I think that I see that you're from Austin Texas area (based on your run log routes).

Since we're close, I decided that this may be relevant.

A very good friend of mine from DFW had symptoms similar to yours that started middle / end of September that lead to very serious stuff.

Basically, she was diagnosed with West Nile Meningitis.

She's a 42 year old runner, not an 70+ year old lady (common West Nile cases that people hear about).

Saturday night - normal

Sunday morning - dizzy

Monday - very dizzy (Emergency room visit)

next 4 weeks - hospital

this week - Rehab for next few weeks.

I hope its a 48 hour 'drunkenness' for you and that you're fine tomorrow.

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Wing

Joggaholic

Wing,

I think that I see that you're from Austin Texas area (based on your run log routes).

Since we're close, I decided that this may be relevant.

A very good friend of mine from DFW had symptoms similar to yours that started middle / end of September that lead to very serious stuff.

Basically, she was diagnosed with West Nile Meningitis.

She's a 42 year old runner, not an 70+ year old lady (common West Nile cases that people hear about).

Saturday night - normal

Sunday morning - dizzy

Monday - very dizzy (Emergency room visit)

next 4 weeks - hospital

this week - Rehab for next few weeks.

I hope its a 48 hour 'drunkenness' for you and that you're fine tomorrow.

Brian

Thanks for the concern, Brian. My doc seems convinced it's benign since there's no neurological symptoms. It's definitely positional based on how I place or move my head. But I'll keep an eye out for anything weird. West Nile cases are really widespread around the states this year. I hope your friend has a speedy recovery.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks for the concern, Brian. My doc seems convinced it's benign since there's no neurological symptoms. It's definitely positional based on how I place or move my head. But I'll keep an eye out for anything weird. West Nile cases are really widespread around the states this year. I hope your friend has a speedy recovery.

No kidding.  We've been seeing a LOT of random dead birds in places where we wouldn't expect to see them.  Normally I don't like the idea of widespread spraying of pesticides and things, but West Nile is becoming a scary threat, especially living in a state with more lakes than MN, land of 10,000 lakes.  We've got an awful lot of places where mosquitos are plentiful.

Vertigo is annoying, but pretty benign.  Glad your doc confirmed that rather un-scary diagnosis.  Hope you don't deal with this on too regular a basis.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

12-week layoff

Wing, I had vertigo for 9 months, and it really sucked.  The first four doctors I visited never mentioned, "You might want to visit an ENT," so I didn't go see one until a friend told me that SHE had a friend with vertigo, and gave me her doctor's name.  He diagosed me with vestibular neuronitis, which was caused, probably, by the chicken pox virus attacking my vestibular nerve.  I ended up having an anti-viral med injected under my eardrum, and got better over time after that.

Anyway, if you have not been to an ENT and had balance testing, etc, you might try that if it doesn't resolve soon.  A co-worker of mine had it too, for almost as long as I did, but the eplee (sp?) maneuver cured hers instantaniously one day...didn't do a thing for me. 

Good luck!

MTA:  I could NOT run outside, as the trees passing overhead made the dizziness much worse.  However, I could run on the treadmill, and actually felt better for hours after every run.