Run Marathons? You’re Probably a Jerk! (Read 849 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've run a HM, so I am only a half jerk! Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Well, I think it's great when overweight people take to running. THen again maybe I'm just on the cusp of *asshole* since my marathon time was 3:48 Big grin But toward the end of the post, it sounded like she was saying that he was running Boston without a number? Now that sucks, I don't care if you're fat or skinny.

Jennifer mm#1231

That's hillarious. Especially having seen the Letsrun thread on the obese guy running Boston. Modified to add: Bonus points to her for working in the expression "ass clowns" in reference to the typical letsrun poster. Great stuff.

Runners run

Scout7

I'm not sure what to comment on, the story about the guy, or the story about the research....
            ok. I went and read the comments. I can understand the hostility...some of the repsonses are reasonable others were just rude. Bottom line is that running Boston like he plans is...sorta like having Rosanne Barr sing the nathional anthem at the World Series...it's insulting to a lot of people who have the utmost respect for what Boston is.

Jennifer mm#1231

Scout7

I didn't need that to let me know I'm a jerk. I already knew that. On the issue of the guy running Boston: While I agree with his motives, I disagree with his implementation. A) He's banditing a race, and B) He picked a race you have to qualify to run. He could have easily picked a different race, and ran it as a registered participant. His plan smacks of sensationalism. I don't know how they do it at Boston, but what happens if, God forbid, he needs medical attention? Also, I'd be curious to see what his training is. I generally disagree with people who have never been into physical activity suddenly saying, "Hey, I'm gonna go run a marathon", then dive right into some random training to try and get there. While I applaud his decision, I think his means of going about it are wrong. As for the research.....I assume it's a joke.
                Boston is a road race. It is not Mecca. What goes on at the back, well behind all the qualified and charity runners is irrelevant to anyone who has qualified or is running with a legitimate number. The jackholes on letsrun are idiots. That part is well established. The fat guy banditing Boston is obviously doing it as a publicity stunt, so what? I find his publicity stunt much less grating than those of, say, Dean Karnazes. At least the fat guy is not pretending to be some kind of world class athlete. He's saying, hey, I'm fat, I've taken really poor care of my body all these years and I'm going to try and do something about it. This article is still hilarious.

Runners run

Scout7

My issue isn't with him being fat, or slow. My issue is with his banditing a race (which I generally don't agree with, be it Boston or some local 5k). And yes, it's not as big a grandstanding act as Karnazes, but I'm not much for that stuff, period. I would have no problems with what he's doing if he had actually entered a race, and is training for it properly.
                    Back to the initial article, I think a lot of people are just generally mean-spirited. While it's always fun finishing strong and passing a few blokes at the end - it's not personal. I generally dislike people who measure their success in comparison to anothers. I run with lots of people faster than me, and slower than me, and generally, we all toast each others' accomplishments at the end, regardless of how we do in relation to one another. I am way more motivated by someone who is over-weight running their first 5K trying to make a healthy lifestyle change than an elite runner who shaves 3 seconds of a PB... Jackhole and ass clown - GOLD!
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What do you think the link at the bottom of that article means? I just saw it. Honest. (say it slowly. out loud)
                        I thought that article was hilarious. But the comments at the end were even better. Do people really not have the ability to recognize humor/sarcasm? Was it not painfully obvious? Roll eyes
                          Oh. You can't see it, but I am actually blushing. Fell for it, hook, line and sinker... My only redemption is I got my running friends all fired up about it too. They are hotly debating the article via email, no doubt wasting valuable work-paid time. When do you think I should let them in on the hoax?
                          Scout7

I have a question. Is the article about the guy running a joke, too? Or just the blog post about the study?
                              I have a question. Is the article about the guy running a joke, too? Or just the blog post about the study?
                              That appears to be real. Here's the letsrumble thread on the subject for background.

Runners run