How to deal with a break during a VO2MAX workout (Read 825 times)

BigDH

Hey,  been lurking here a while and I have this question that I just cannot figure out the answer to.  Would appreciate some help.

I am doing the Pfitzinger 50-70 marathon program.  How do you deal with a break in a vo2max workout and what is the consequence of the break.

Today I had 5 X 1200 meters at 5k pace with recovery jog of 50%-90% time. So my 5k pace is 4:32/k, repeats took me about 5:30, jogged 3:15 for recovery.

Did three and they felt good, but then I had to hit the washroom for like 5 minutes.

I dealt with it by doing

1200 3:15 jog
    1600 4:15 jog

The reason I did the 1600 was that I just did not think I could will myself to do another 1200 after, I mean I did, I don't know how but I did. So I did more repeats than requested, and one a little longer, but I didn't do 5 in a row.

I also have this problem during other high intensity sessions like marathon pace and tempo workouts.  I usually try to get things moving before the workout starts but sometime can't and then end up in the can for a bit during the middle of the key part of the workout.

Anyways. How do you deal with a break during a VO2MAX and other key workouts and do you think I did the right thing or should I have done something else.  I really appreciate any comments. 

an amazing likeness

I believe the only solution is start over, from the beginning.

(no, not really....just kidding)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I just go do my business and then resume were I left off. I dont' try to make it up. 

If you've got access to indoor plumbing near where you're doing intervals, then you're living right. Don't question it.

Runners run

The King of Beasts

dont worry about it. just let it ride.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Hey,  been lurking here a while and I have this question that I just cannot figure out the answer to.  Would appreciate some help.

I am doing the Pfitzinger 50-70 marathon program.  How do you deal with a break in a vo2max workout and what is the consequence of the break.

Today I had 5 X 1200 meters at 5k pace with recovery jog of 50%-90% time. So my 5k pace is 4:32/k, repeats took me about 5:30, jogged 3:15 for recovery.

Did three and they felt good, but then I had to hit the washroom for like 5 minutes.

I dealt with it by doing

1600 4:15 jog

The reason I did the 1600 was that I just did not think I could will myself to do another 1200 after, I mean I did, I don't know how but I did. So I did more repeats than requested, and one a little longer, but I didn't do 5 in a row.

I also have this problem during other high intensity sessions like marathon pace and tempo workouts.  I usually try to get things moving before the workout starts but sometime can't and then end up in the can for a bit during the middle of the key part of the workout.

Anyways. How do you deal with a break during a VO2MAX and other key workouts and do you think I did the right thing or should I have done something else.  I really appreciate any comments. 

I'm not quite sure what you're question is.  But, as far as interval is concerned, we say that the rule of thumb is NEVER ONE MORE!  Those who burn intervals like that almost ALWAYS do their best run during that workout and never in the actual race.  If you felt that you would probably not be able to complete the workout, chances are that such a workout is too much for you.  Whenever someone picks a training program, be it Higdon's advanced program or Pfitz's 50-70 or whatever, and I'm not saying you're doing that but I'd be curious to konw in your case, I do wonder how they had picked that particular program.  I've come across so many guys who came to me and said that he's doing advanced Higdon "because I thought I should be able to..."  Most cases, they have a specific requirements for doing those program.  The trick to getting the RIGHT training program is NOT to do what's tough for you but to do what you CAN do--that you CAN complete the workout CONFORTABLLY.

As far as worrying about lost "recovery" time by taking a pit-stop, think about the purpose of recovery--you do it so you would recover.  If you recover by sitting over toilet, so be it; that would have fulfilled the purpose.  If that wasn't enough, jog around some more.  Who cares how you do it?

BigDH

Thanks for the replies.

Why did I choose Pete:

In 2007 I was fat.  I did c25k, did a 10k, did a HM, did a sprint triathlon, did a 50k, did an Oly did a Half Ironman, did an Ironman September 2008.  None of this was done particularly fast although I did finish my IM in 14.5 hours.  My training consisted mostly of low intensity stuff.  Mostly biking.  Some running, but lots of walking with the running.  Messed around a bit, tried to run a bit more, threw in random tempo pace stuff but nothing that made any sense.

2010 I am done with triathlons for the most part, just running.  But I am still not fast or strong.  Spent 2010 running 70k a week (except for one month off for illness).  I was training for a marathon in May 2010 so I cobbled together a program, mostly a long run/temp run/and yasso 800s (no need to debate them).  But it was very low intensity for the most part, my long runs were slow.  I wanted 4 hours and had a 50 min 10k for a McMillan predictor but ended with a 4:18, not surprising.  Spent the rest of 2010 more slow running and trail running with elevation and completed a 100k ultra in Sept 2010.

So, when I got Pete's book and he said you can do 55/70 if you can do 72k a week including a 23k long run I was like, ok Pete, let's do it.  So I have been doing it this year  have averaged 96k a week.  Doing the 18 week program (although I only have 17 weeks so skipping 3rd last week).  Almost done, Marathon is end of May.

Hit almost all of the workouts.  Only skipped one minor long run and one minor vo2max.   Have had negative split long runs.  Success with the Tempo runs.  The 5k repeats were killer for me but have hit those workouts too.  The first couple were very tough but 2 weeks ago I did the 1000 meter repeats and did 7 instead of 6 and yesterday I did the 1200 meter repeats and, well, did what I did.  Also did a 10 mile time trial in 1:19, so further dropped my training paces (for vo2max) although still probably keeping to a 3:55 marathon pace even though McMillan says 3:40(um, no) and I have been doing the MP long runs at 3:50 pace.

Anyways, it has been fun.  The VO2MAx are definitly challenging and I feel horrible while running them (especially the last couple, but isn't that how it is supposed to be)  but I recover well during the workout and am in good shape to hit other workouts during the week.

IF you care to view my logs on another website  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=87273&year=2011&month=5&setplanned=0

Again thanks for the feedback.