Running in Houston? (Read 624 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

This weekend, I'm taking DS down to visit Rice.  My mom and sister are driving down from Austin, and we'll be staying at a hotel near the Galleria.   Is there a park or other area nearby that would be good for a long run?  DS will work out with the team on Sunday, but Monday he'll be on his own.  He's trying to stay off pavement as much as possible.  I'd like to run, too, but I'm not as picky.

I would do the 3 mile "loop" around the campus.  It's THE place to run at Rice.  Do it a couple of times or branch out into the neighborhoods for some extra distance.   It's a great path and you will get a great feel for the students and the area.  It's gravel, so easier on his legs.   There are plenty of other paths in Houston, too, but I'll let a local chime in.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, Karen!  Funny question, but is the path technically ON campus?  Next Monday is an NCAA Dead Day for track, so he's not supposed to step foot on campus!  Crazy rule.  It's the only Dead Day from August through some of December, and the coach didn't realize it when he scheduled the visit.  He'll still have most of Saturday and all of Sunday to spend with the team and/or coach.

half-fast

The 3 mile loop follows the perimeter of the University, so I would say no it's not on campus.  I would check with the coach though to make sure.  If you are feeling adventurous you could also try memorial park.  There's lots of trails there to try as well.

http://www.houstontx.gov/parks/memorialpark.html

xor

I wouldn't do the loop on dead day even if you get the feedback that it is technically ok.

Wish I could tell you other places to run, but my knowledge of houston is ancient.  And not pleasant.

As was said, the loop circles campus.  It has water fountains.  I like it.  You would like it.  It might not give your son enough distance.  I don't know if it is Rice-owned or city-owned.  Probably city-owned, but it is called the "Rice loop".    Oh- Hanszen is the best residential college.  (HFH stands for "Harry F'ing Hanszen"

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

JoeInTX

Check this out for running in Houston

The link to Hermann Park appears to be broken but it is located just east of Rice University.  Try this one.

You may have guessed I'm from H-Town.  I regularly run on Saturday mornings at Terry Hershey Park (I live on the west side).   But like someone else mentioned, the loop around Memorial Park is the mecca of Houston running.  There's runners there at all hours of the day, in all shapes sizes. 

JoeInTX

... Oh- Hanszen is the best residential college. 

I beg to differ, the best college is Will Rice!

Memorial Park and/or Buffalo Bayou along Allen Pkwy...I will likely be running these after dark next week - can anyone tell me if they are lit? Or any other safety concerns there?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Running Rev'd

I beg to differ, the best college is Will Rice!

Will Rice Will Suck!

But yes, Memorial Park is nice too, same with Hermann Park.

I believe Buffalo Bayou is lit. That's pretty too. Well, pretty for Houston.

HFH

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

I believe Buffalo Bayou is lit.

Thanks!

Anyway, sun goes down a lot later over here, so light wasn't an issue. Ran from downtown to Memorial, around and back.

Holy runnerverse! Houston had an endless supply of folks from 5pm to 6:30 hitting the pavement. Overwhelmed by numbers of runners. Pretty cool. And friendly too, even ran a loop of memorial with some random dude who happened to be running same pace.

Not the most scenic, agreed, but nice place to run.

Feeling the growl again

the loop around Memorial Park is the mecca of Houston running.  There's runners there at all hours of the day, in all shapes sizes. 

My wife is a Houston native.  I showed this to her and Memorial Park was her recommendation.  She says the loop is roughly 2.5 miles.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills