Another Steamtown Report! 3:59:23! (Read 476 times)

6 months of training and planning paid off! My goal for this marathon (my 3rd) was to break 4 hrs. It wasn't easy, but it's done! After all of the months of preparation and training, my plan came down to this; run at approx. 8:50 pace for as long as possible (hopefully 18-20) miles and then hang-on as best I could. Remarkably, I was able to execute that plan pretty well. Here are my splits (I had the course .25 longer which is why the last one is .45 instead of .2) 1- 8:41 2- 8:51 3- 8:48 4- 8:38 5- 8:39 6- 8:43 7- 8:53 8- 8:40 9- 8:43 10- 8:43 11- 8:44 12- 8:43 13- 8:42 14- 8:41 15- 8:38 16- 8:38 17- 8:37 18- 8:38 19- 9:14 20- 9:15 21- 9:12 22- 9:53 23- 9:56 24- 9:42 25- 10:54 26- 10:24 .47- 8:37. Overall I did a lot more things right in preparation and during the race than in my previous 2 marathons. I think the only little mistake was a little too much water after 18 miles. It probably didn't help hydrate me any, but it started to make me nauseus. The Shamrocks had a great showing in Scranton! 9 runners started and 9 finished, all in the Shamrock green!
      Nicely done Bob! I think I recognize you from the Step Out For Hospice 5 Miler, I shoulda introduced myself (cuz I know that MileCollector is never going to qualify for Social Director at these things...). I met Bill at a Thursday night run, and I'm actually giving some thought to donning a green singlet myself. It's funny that in your avatar, I know the Greater Lowell Road Runner who is next to you. That's the other club I'm thinking about, maybe I'll just join both. Congrats to you and all your fellow Shamrocks! MTA: I was sure I knew your avatar pic from somewhere, I posted it in my Lowell goes to Yankee Homecoming thread. Jim Rhoades does damned good work with a camera (and is a damned good runner too). That was a great night, can't wait to get back to Newburyport.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

NICE JOB BOB!!!! I was wondering about all the Shamrock singlets I kept seing. Great race and CONGRATS on your new pr!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks Baddawg and Rocknmam, Dawg, what a small world! I agree, join both clubs! Although we may have an edge in the beer drinking dept.! Rocknmam I read your report, and your experience was very similar to mine. Those hills at the end were killer. The course was definitely more difficult in the 2nd half than advertised. I did love the marathon though. We even made it over to the party at the Hilton and there was a nice food spread as well as free beer! The band was also very good and we did a little dancing as well. All and all a great time!

Prince of Fatness

Nice job, congratulations.
            Those hills at the end were killer. The course was definitely more difficult in the 2nd half than advertised.
            Interesting. I ran this race in 2007 and had the exact opposite experience. I was slowing before those hills near the end, but running up them rejuvenated me, and I was able to pick up the pace. I attributed it to my quads getting a break from all of the downhill pounding. It was that woodchip trail right after the park around mile 18 that got me. It felt like I was running through quicksand.

Not at it at all.