I'm tired a lot - what can I do? (Read 1460 times)

finney

Resident pinniped

[Note that I have not yet read the article Trent has linked to] I've found the biggest thing you can do to make your diet all around healthier is to avoid processed foods as much as possible, namely white carb junk which seems to be almost everywhere. Instead of having a sandwich, throw the meat and cheese on a salad. If you normally eat bagels, muffins, or cereal make sure they are whole grain. Avoid "lurking" sugars in otherwise healthy things, like excessive sugar in yogurt, there is added sugar in the dried fruit you mentioned (eat the whole fruit and you'll get the fiber too), and consider making your own snacks at home. You can make a quick snack/side southwestern salad with black beans, rice, cheese and salsa. If you like granola, assemble the "pieces" yourself using rolled oats, nuts, whatever else you like in it. That way you know what you're getting and how much.

Non ducor, duco.

I may be making too big of a stretch here but dont forget the psychological side of wellness. I too am a mother of four and I know how exhausting it can be. I also noticed in your profile that you are a single mom as well. Im not discounting the physiological, but just wondering if it could be emotional in part. I hope you find some relief!
        You're very perceptive Smile. I had actually been thinking about the week when I posted my question, and I HAD actually been feeling really down that week. The joys of single motherhood I guess. And you are soooo right...being a mum is hard enough, but when you're tired it gets you emotional & down and when you're emotional & down, it gets you tired. I'm very lucky that I have some very good friends who listen when I'm feeling low (as well as online friends who offer good advice too).
          Hi guys. I've taken onboard everything mentioned and will make comments/answer your queries now. 1) I'm cutting back on dried fruit & am eating more nuts (started initially with macadamias just coz I luv 'em but realise it should probably be more like almonds). I'm eating more eggs & beans - had scrambled eggs for lunch today instead of a ham/salad sandwich. I'm making a point of eating red meat at least 3 times a week. 2) I was checked for anaemia & diabetes several months ago & was okay on both counts. A friend who does kiniesology did say after testing me that she believes my thyroid is playing up and I'm wondering if that would explain some of the tiredness (and excessive sweating will exercising as well as really salty tasting sweat???). 3) I'm probably not getting enough sleep but find if I have 8-9 hours I wake up feeling hungover. I generally wake feeling tired but even still, I always run better in the mornings than I do later in the day. Go figure?! 4) Yes, fatigue could be from running too many kms too soon. I'm now keeping my kms to 50km pw max with maybe a 38km (slow) bike ride thrown in. 5) Fast metabolism - I'm hungry so quickly. I can have a big bowl of porridge for brekky & be hungry within 2 hours. And yes, I drink HEAPS of water - at least 3-4 litres a day. 6) My relaxation IS running - it's the only time I get away from the kids (as much as I love the little dears Smile ) although 3-4 times a week I'll put the twins in the pram and walk for 30-40 minutes (although if they've been screaming for most of the way the walk doesn't involve any form of relaxation!!). Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could go for GOOD dietary suggestions. There's so much said about protein, simple sugars, high GI, low GI blah blah blah - but how does that translate into everyday food and recipes? By the way, you guys are AWESOME!!! Thanks for the suggestions Smile
          I got a low GI cookbook and love it. It was full of easy tasty recipes of real food-a nice balanced diet. Also, I had all of these symptoms awhile back-my fatigue got so severe I HAD to sleep 12-13 hours a night-it wasn't a choice, I literally crashed. I was very thirsty, very hungry (it was a hunger that people just can't understand), very tired, and a rapid weight gain (12lbs in 2 weeks)-mostly in my belly and butt! Blood work indicated no thyroid issues, but extreme elevated levels of cortisol and ACTH (a hormone produced by the pituitary gland). Mine were so high, they actually thought I had either a tumor in my pituitary or my adrenal glands...ended up neither, thankfully. After months of cat scans and MRI's and blood work, I ended up diagnosing and curing it myself (it was a long and hard process-diet overhaul, specific yoga postures for the endocrine system, etc)...it was just good ol' fashion stress. Granted, it was enough stress to send my body in distress mode-it literally needed to shut down. I had gone through a serious year of SERIOUS stress (I don't mean just stress on the job, $$$, it was bigger than that)... I tell this long story to finally get to...any big stresses? Serious prolonged stress? Combine that with sugars (indirectly affects endocrine system), lack of sleep, etc...can make a busy running mom tired!
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Okay. I have to ask. Low GI foods / High GI foods?
              Okay. I have to ask. Low GI foods / High GI foods?
              Glycemic Index. All I know is there is not a lot of sugar in them and they are tasty. I think you would like it, actually. Most of the recipes are ones like I have seen you post, they are just in a book for people who don't know how to do it on their own like you. Smile Pouring Captain Crunch is easier, but eating the Oaty Porridge from the low GI cookbook is better for me, and I know that now. Oaty Porridge: 1/2 cup oats 1 tbsp bran oats 2 cups milk raisins banana almonds honey Again, may seem easy to some-but prior to the cookbook this never would have occurred to me. MTA: I just got the book off the shelf, actual name is "The High Energy Cookbook." Oh yeah, that's why I bought it! I never heard of the GI bit before the book.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Phew. I was afraid that GI = Gastrointestinal Tract. I almost blew a cog at the idea of a diet targeting different parts of the GI tract Wink
                  Phew. I was afraid that GI = Gastrointestinal Tract. I almost blew a cog at the idea of a diet targeting different parts of the GI tract Wink
                  Sorry, that would be worrisome! And, a little gross.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Non ducor, duco.

You're very perceptive Smile. I had actually been thinking about the week when I posted my question, and I HAD actually been feeling really down that week. The joys of single motherhood I guess. And you are soooo right...being a mum is hard enough, but when you're tired it gets you emotional & down and when you're emotional & down, it gets you tired. I'm very lucky that I have some very good friends who listen when I'm feeling low (as well as online friends who offer good advice too).
                    Im glad to hear you have a good support system. I am too stubborn to ask for help sometimes and that is when I get exhausted. You must be an amazing woman to handle all that you do. I hope you find some renewal soon!
                      Im glad to hear you have a good support system. I am too stubborn to ask for help sometimes and that is when I get exhausted. You must be an amazing woman to handle all that you do. I hope you find some renewal soon!
                      Yeah, the asking for help is sometimes a hard one (it's just us super-tough females being independant LOL). I don't necessarily ask for help...sometimes if I'm feeling low I'll just call a friend and talk rubbish for a little while, or get online and chat. That's quite often enough to pick me up. Or I'll go running. And thank you for your 'amazing woman' compliment. You must be pretty amazing yourself seeing as you have four kids too AND you're studying law too AND managing to run regularly as well. That's an awesome effort so make sure you pat yourself on the back regularly coz it's hard enough sometimes just being a mum, let alone throwing everything else in there as well.

Non ducor, duco.

The wonderwoman avatar is kinda my joke on the supertough woman thing. I dont do as well in all areas of my life as I would like, so thanks!

Bugs

Did you decide to go to your doctor? I think you should. Especially if you're eating like you always have and the energy level is different. I think a person can tell a difference from I'm tired from a busy life and I'm tired because something is wrong. You know I have been having fatigue due to low blood sugar dips and it really plays heck with the emotions, because it gets frustrating not to be able have the energy you use to. Here is an article on fatigue on WebMD. Hope you're feeling like you deserve soon.

Bugs

Did you decide to go to your doctor? I think you should. Especially if you're eating like you always have and the energy level is different. I think a person can tell a difference from I'm tired from a busy life and I'm tired because something is wrong. You know I have been having fatigue due to low blood sugar dips and it really plays heck with the emotions, because it gets frustrating not to be able have the energy you use to. Here is an article on fatigue on WebMD. Hope you're feeling like you deserve soon.
                            My energy levels have picked up in the last couple of weeks or so and I think it's probably because of a couple of things. 1) I've made a point of eating more protein than before (more meat, more nuts and less dried fruit, more eggs & baked beans) and 2) I think that mentally and emotionally I'm feeling better these last three weeks or so. To be honest, being a single mum is so darn hard sometimes, and I get lonely (even with wonderful friends) and that in turn gets me down. But that being said, I'm making a point of looking after myself physically and ensuring I make time just for me (running is my downtime). I read the article you'd linked Bugs & identified a couple of things that I know affect me, which probably haven't helped the tiredness thing either. Thank you for that Smile. I really hope you're back to feeling okay - you seem like a lovely thoughtful person and deserve to feel great too.