how is VO2 max calculated? (Read 488 times)

I am trying to figure out how VO2 max is calculated on Running Ahead. I've looked at some other sites and they say the formula to estimate it is: (meters traveled in 12 minutes) - 505 / 45 However, if I take my last marathon time of 4:19:50, I figure the distance traveled in 12 min is 1947.32 meters. Then the VO2 Max would be 32.05. But Running Ahead has it as 34.3. Is the site using a different formula or did I add something up wrong? Thanks http://bitsmack.com
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

There's a lot of different formulas. They're all approximations. The only way to calculate your "true" VO2max is testing that involves having some crazy breathing tube apparatus hooked to you to measure oxygen consumption/output while you're running. Also, this stat is only of any value if the run in question was an all-out race or other 100% effort. This allows you to compare efforts at different distances (i.e. your 5k time vs your half-marathon -- the one with the higher VO2max is the "better" PR). If it's not a race, looking at VO2max is a meaningless, because if it's not all out, it ain't max. I know this doesn't answer your specific question, but I hope it helps. My favorite running calculator, which uses VDOT -- a VO2max approximation.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Yeah my goal was to create an excel spreadsheet to compare my races and workouts at different distances. Here is the formula I ended up using: VO2 Max=(-4.60 + 0.182258 * velocity + 0.000104 * velocity^2)/(0.8 + 0.1894393 * e^(-0.012778 * time) + 0.2989558 * e^(-0.1932605 * time)) velocity = meters/min time = number of minutes
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Must. Resist.
          You're doing great, Trent!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.