Heart Rate monitor (Read 1012 times)

Any suggestions on brands. How do you train with one? My BD is coming up and I put it in as my request Smile

Chair Warmer

I use the HRM w/ the Garmin 305 and love it. There are various theories about how to train w/ one... most involve finding your max heart rate and then targeting a certain percentage of your max during training. I have used it mainly as a tool to guage my effort on any particular run and keep my pace in check during long runs.
      celiacChris

3Days4Cure

As a runner, the Garmin is evry popular. I also like the polar F6 as a basic HRM, no bells and whistles except it creates a custom target zone based on your current fitness. I don't use it when I run, but to track calories burned when teaching marching band, playing tennis, biking or kickboxing. When I wore both that and my garmin 205, the difference in calorie numbers were statisticlally insignificant, and I like the freedom of running without something on my chest. Chris

Chris
        PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Lisa3.1

I love my Polar 710i... been going strong for 7-8 years now. I'm on my third Garmin in 14 months. Not so happy with Garmin. I'm just a study of one though, your results may vary Big grin - Chris

The Greatest of All Time

I now use my Garmin's HRM, but prior to that I used Timex's Ironman HRM's. I liked it because the wrist piece looks just like a regular Timex Ironman watch so I could wear it while not training and it didn't look dorky like some of the Polars do. But I have owned a Polar in the past and the work well too. Here is a link to the Timex HRM I would recommend. http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/Pages/TIMEX/5C401-hrm.html
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Giant Flaming Dork

Here is a link to the Timex HRM I would recommend. http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/Pages/TIMEX/5C401-hrm.html
                I use the same HRM and like it.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Inexpensive Polar is fine if you just want to look at it and see HR. Combined with a simple Timex Ironman watch you can get times for intervals, recovery, etc, but it's not combined with the HRM, so you would have to remember or record or whatever yourself (kind of a pain.) The higher-end Polars (like 625x) have really fine software for analysis, graphing, displaying, etc. With hundreds or thousands of workouts/races downloaded to your computer (PC, XP or earlier OS...) there's a lot of comparison and tracking you can do on that history. Other Polar users I've talked to have been very satisfied with reliability. FWIW the 625x has an "inertia-activated" footpod which can be added for speed recording. Needs to be calibrated but is apparently pretty accurate, and some say it works for different paces fine once it's set up (I dunno, haven't used one myself.) I don't know anything about Garmins, but one triathlete told me they (some models?) could have trouble with water. I'm told the Polars are ok with water (but never tried it.) Check all that out first if you want to swim with your HRM. I don't think you should be pushing any buttons underwater unless the manufacturer says that's ok (good place for water leaks?)
                  Lisa3.1

Your inputs were appreciated. Thanks. I thought I wouldn't settle with one, but I did end up getting a Polar RS400sd Running Computer. Someone from the club that I go to also had a good pt. It made sense to get one for what I plan to do.
                    Mine was $349.
                    progman2000

I love my Polar 710i... been going strong for 7-8 years now. I'm on my third Garmin in 14 months. Not so happy with Garmin. I'm just a study of one though, your results may vary Big grin - Chris
                      I had the opposite experience - went through 2 polars and now am happy with the Garmin 305. Smile
                      Carps10

i just test my pulse in the morning...I put my hand on my chest and look at my watch. It's usually like 50 beats or so. If it gets higher I know I'm over training.
                        Giant

I can't run without it. When I start, I can't go more than 165 bpm or i'll hit a wall. I gradually up my speed once I'm warmed up then I'm fine.