2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

AceHarris

Nimmals: what is your method of posting your weekly? I like the format.

Brew: Training plan will be similar to last marathon training block. I'm with the same coach as I was in 2018. Easy miles with 3 quality sessions a week involving intervals, tempos, and hills. Hopefully will get into some longer workouts than last time once I'm healthy. This calf injury came out of nowhere. I think it was about 1 week prior to injury that I told my wife that my legs feel better than they have in years.

Weather: nice race!! Always great to nab a huge PR.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CalBears

Cal - I’ve got 3 shockwave therapy sessions booked this month to try and break down the heel spur without needing surgery. So hopefully a BQ and Boston 2021 is still on! 👍

Wait... Are you preparing to back off out of our gentlemen agreement? So, I do all this training for nothing? You better fix things asap - whatever your MD is suggesting - if it requires surgery - I don't care - just fix it! 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Marky_Mark_17

Marky - I actually think you’ll be the dark horse of the faster group on here and will run a very strong marathon. 👍

We'll see - gotta get that mileage up first!  I'm on holiday for a couple of weeks in late Jan and will get down to work from early Feb onwards - that gives me a good 4 months.  I'm happy to report that the Christchurch Marathon is a flat course which starts and finishes at the same point so I'm assuming that would get the Mikkey seal of approval.

Your moose mug effort last year was definitely an inspiration for me to revise my goal downwards from sub-2:40 to sub-2:39 

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Wait... Are you preparing to back off out of our gentlemen agreement? So, I do all this training for nothing? You better fix things asap - whatever your MD is suggesting - if it requires surgery - I don't care - just fix it! 

You seriously think that? Whatever.  At least I’ve got you running again and you won’t be a fat slob in September when you start CIM training again. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

You seriously think that? Whatever.  At least I’ve got you running again and you won’t be a fat slob in September when you start CIM training again. 👍

Ha-ha - I am planning on running at least one another marathon before CIM.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

We'll see - gotta get that mileage up first!  I'm on holiday for a couple of weeks in late Jan and will get down to work from early Feb onwards - that gives me a good 4 months.  I'm happy to report that the Christchurch Marathon is a flat course which starts and finishes at the same point so I'm assuming that would get the Mikkey seal of approval.

Your moose mug effort last year was definitely an inspiration for me to revise my goal downwards from sub-2:40 to sub-2:39 

That absolutely gets my approval and I’m pleased that you’re gunning for a Moose Mug as well....that was my biggest personal marathon goal and I finally got it with cheater shoes last year. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Speaking of the CheaterFlies, it'll be interesting to see where they land with the AlphFly. Hearing some chatter on both ends on whether that's the shoe that goes too far.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Andres1045

Has anyone ever compared a normatec boot to those ray gun massage devices? They're about the same price, but the ray gun seems like it could do more muscles so I might get an itchy wallet and splurge one day.

I don't know anything about that boot, but doing a quick search shows them to be very expensive. I know the name brand massage guns are about that much, but there are tons of other options on Amazon for under $100. I got one for $99. I've only had it a week so far, but it's been awesome. Who knows. Maybe it'll break in another week though.

Upcoming races: Boston

weatherboy80

Thanks again for the warm wishes on my race!  Will be curious what happens with the latest version of the shoes as well.  I will say that after running my first ever marathon in cheater shoes it seems like the legs are a bit fresher after having raced in them.  I was late to this party the past few years so that was perhaps part of the reason I ran slower at Boston LOL Wink Specifically, right now my hamstrings are still toast perhaps from fighting the wind for 10 or so miles, but my calves and other body parts felt really good just after 2-3 days of recovery.

BTW, I'm off on a 7 night cruise so will be AWOL for the next week and wanted to wish Andres (and others?) good luck in Houston next week!

JMac: After talking with my wife thinking the odds are good that I'll be entering CIM next December!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

BTW, I'm off on a 7 night cruise so will be AWOL for the next week and wanted to wish Andres (and others?) good luck in Houston next week!

If I see a single Strava upload from you over these 7 days, you're dead to me.

Also, great to hear on CIM! You're going to love it. Book the hotel now, it'll be cheaper and you can always cancel if you change your mind. I stayed at the Hyatt Regency, great location for both bus pickup and post finish.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Andres1045

Enjoy your trip, and thanks! I'm trying my hardest not to obsess over the weather while obsessing over the weather. I think Darkwave is running the half still, assuming she didn't get too hurt this past week. Jay said he wasn't racing but may jog it (I think the half???).

Upcoming races: Boston

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Speaking of the CheaterFlies, it'll be interesting to see where they land with the AlphFly. Hearing some chatter on both ends on whether that's the shoe that goes too far.

LOL, let’s be honest here, they went too far with the Vaporfly 4%.

Brew - I have the Air Relax recovery boots which are great and I think they’re less than half the price of the Normatic boots. 👍

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Probably, but that cat is out of the bag and I can't see them retroactively banning them. I think they either just limit the stack height to what the 4% were, or let it go forward.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals: what is your method of posting your weekly? I like the format.

ACEHARRIS,

Sorry for the late response but just saw this.

I use the RunningAhead Training Log and do a quick Text and field grab grab from the Workouts tab. in the past I'd change the description to match my Strava but I've been lazy. Nice feature is once you post you can edit "default" to Fartlek or whatever description makes sense. I love that the link stays live to reference the activity.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Is there a good time to start hill repeats? It seems like after CIM and a half in April (flat course) I don't need to do them, OR they'll be IN training which isn't where you'd want them.

Has anyone ever compared a normatec boot to those ray gun massage devices? They're about the same price, but the ray gun seems like it could do more muscles so I might get an itchy wallet and splurge one day.

I have the Normatec but I didn't splurge on the ray gun. In fact I went out and got the Worx and built it to do the same thing problem is Worx is good but loud and hard to use on yourself due to the safety features.  It has a safety lever because its basically a rip saw. you have to press and pull at same time plus its heavy. so using is cumbersome. Eventually I'm going to get a $100 version. I had an athlete buy one to test, if she gives me thumbs up after 6 months?? I'll get it.

Speaking of which I just got my Normatec back last night it was out to service they said they repaired it like they were doing me a favor.

It stopped working after CIM so I sent it back and they gave me a new hose and repaired the unit. A tiny little piece of plastic break, whole thing doesn't inflate. they said it's fairly common so they know the issue.

I recommend Air Relax and usually demand most of my athletes to get them its like $400. If you're serious about running I think they should be a must.

Hill Runups Or Repeats vs Hill Sprints I recommend starting Hill sprints in Late February when weather gets better. Last year I did them year round but I often back off when its really lousy out. Use Hudson, he explains it. a lot of people  numbskulls hear hill sprints and go run 1-2 minute up hill in a "supposed" sprint.  Hill run-ups and hill sprints are not the same. One might be anaerobic and aerobic. What Hudson wants you to do is use Phosphates to build basal strength.  It's call your 7 free seconds. That's all you can accelerate for.

Its your ATP energy system. I am showing it 3 ways Cause some people  numbskulls will still do a minute and call it a hill sprints.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.