I can't stop eating!!! (Read 2184 times)

sincerely silly

Nobody can eat 50 pieces of sushi.

Now I want to try.

shin splints are my nemesis

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I think a better way to count this is not to assume a fixed amount > BMR that you will burn, but rather to count net calories per mile run -- closer to 112. See  How Many Calories Are You Really Burning? .

Ultimately BMR -- or rather, your effective daily burn rate, sans running -- is best determined empirically, by recording weight and calories, smoothing the weight curve, and observing the slope. Or more simply, make a best guess, see what happens, and adjust. 

No disagreement with your point.  But I found it easier to go the simpler route.  

In fact, it's the simplicity of using the iPhone app to record calories intake at the point of consumption that really helped me.  When you get on your app, scan the Snickers barcode, and see that it has 280 calories, you think twice about actually eating it, specially if you see that you only have 500 Calories left in your Calorie budget for the the rest of the day (unless you can put a few more miles in).  You realize that the 187 Calorie Sam Adams Octoberfest is a more fun and lower calorie snack than the Snickers.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Nobody can eat 50 pieces of sushi.

I'm sure I've come close, back when I would have vendors take me to lunch and order that big boat of sushi.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

bhearn

In fact, it's the simplicity of using the iPhone app to record calories intake at the point of consumption that really helped me.  When you get on your app, scan the Snickers barcode, and see that it has 280 calories, you think twice about actually eating it, 

Is there a particular app you're talking about? Actually I'm part of a startup building an app with more general functionality, that we might want to incorporate calorie counting (and run logging) into. Guess I need to scope out the competition. Hadn't even thought about scanning barcodes.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Is there a particular app you're talking about? Actually I'm part of a startup building an app with more general functionality, that we might want to incorporate calorie counting (and run logging) into. Guess I need to scope out the competition. Hadn't even thought about scanning barcodes.

I use the MyFitnessPal app.  There are several others out there as well.  Lose It is quite good, but at the time I started using these, My Fitness Pal had a larger food database, and that was key for me.

When you get on your app, scan the Snickers barcode, and see that it has 280 calories,

Hey, I'm all for whatever helps folks eat better, and I don't mean to come across like a dick, but scanning a barcode?

This same info is spelled out next to barcode on the package in nutrition section. 

What am I missing?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Dad, Runner, Programmer

I've found I've had success in losing weight when I force myself to record everything I eat (I use  Lose It ).  Just the act of adding everything I ate would make me feel guilty (e.g. Adding that 3rd donut).

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

bhearn

Hey, I'm all for whatever helps folks eat better, and I don't mean to come across like a dick, but scanning a barcode?

This same info is spelled out next to barcode on the package in nutrition section. 

What am I missing?

You're missing typing a number in to an iPhone without a physical keyboard. Presuming you are going to record this, that is.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm sure I've come close, back when I would have vendors take me to lunch and order that big boat of sushi.

The barcode is where -- underneath it?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I think I would burn more calories eating this sushi

finding the barcode would be fun

My goal is to run faster but I realized I need to weigh less to do so. I currently weigh 178 lbs. (31% BF) and the number is growing despite the milage. Please help.

Amanda, there has been a lot of useful info posted in this thread. I can tell you for me what helped was to write everything down. Some use a journal, I used an excel spreadsheet. There are a lot of websites that will give you the calorie count for the food consumed. I was amazed how quickly the calories started to add up. Once I figured out how many calories I should be consuming based on my goal weight, I was able to back into what I should and should not eat, including portion size. Since starting to run, and controlling my diet, I have lost 50 pounds. ymmv

bhearn

Ditto. I lost 50 pounds by counting calories, 11 years ago, and I've kept it off. This was before running. For me it's easier now when I run lots of miles. When I stop counting, it comes back. Eventually (after 5-10 pounds) I say enough is enough, bite the bullet, and start counting again.

I used The Hacker's Diet. It doesn't make that much difference how you count, just that you count, but I found some of the methodology here (especially, tracking a moving average of your weight, and not just looking at daily weight) to be very helpful.

This is what happens when you go from not counting to counting. Note how much clearer the effect is when you look at the moving average (blue).

Ditto. I lost 50 pounds by counting calories, 11 years ago,

Nice.

Yep, exactly. I remember a $1500 tab at Nobu NYC for 5 people.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat."

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

What am I missing?

Yeah, the info is right on the package.  But if you're gonna eat it and thus, record the calories, it's faster to scan the barcode than to look up "snickers" in the food database in the app/

You do have the option of just typing in the calories, but then you don't have what the food is in that case.  If you want your food log to actually contain what you ate, not just how many calories it has, the barcode is the fastest way to go.

And just in general, I had a lot more success using a calorie app on a smartphone as opposed to a using a website because I can record calories at the point of consumption.  If I have to get on a computer later and do it, I'm more likely to forget stuff or not even bother recording  it.