Switching from a Full Marathon to a Half (Read 591 times)

I was scheduled to run the Hyannis Marathon coming up at the end of February. For a variety of reasons I haven't been able to keep my weekly mileage up to where I'd like it to be. I haven't done a decent long run since 12/10. I want to run the marathon in under 4 hours & that isn't a realistic goal at my current speed. I'm going to run the marathon again but, I don't think it's worth injuring myself (I have a creaky right hip when I'm fatigued) by pushing too far too fast. I just switched from the full Marathon to the Half Marathon. I know it's the right decision. By aiming at a lower distance I can devote more time to strength training, stretching, core work, & frankly weight loss. There's plenty of marathons available in the Spring should I be so motivated. You're my running peers. Tell me it's the right thing to do.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's exactly what I would do in your situation. And Spring isn't too far away (at least I keep telling myself this, even though we aren't even a week into Winter). Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Finished!

I agree - you have done the right thing. Injury is no fun, and there will always be more marathons. Better to go in when you don't feel you risk damaging yourself.
        Walk + Jog = wog.
        I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
        I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry

Now that was a bath...

Hey Pete I can totally empathise. I am going to the physio today and I fully expect to be told not to consider doing my planned first race in January and it burns that I won't make it. You are totally doing the right thing though. I have done a lot of thinking about this in my 11 days off the roads and i've focused on what I want from running. Do I want to run that particular race enough to risk injury and maybe screw with my chance of this becoming a lifelong hobby? No - I don't. As many poeple have said to me - there will be other races. I bet you'll be well trained for that half and have a great race without risking your health! Claire xxx
        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
            I'd rather have a decent Half than a bad Full on my permanent racing record. Sounds like a smart decision.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

It's the right thing to do. Smile ps Happy Holidays!

Running ... just keep running!

Thanks everybody. It was a tough but, good decision. I'm in it for the long run & sometimes it's better to flex your brain muscle first.
                  Smart decision! Like mkleiman said ... better to run a great half then a cruddy (or worse, painful) full!
                  2009: BQ?
                  Scout7

Definitely the smart thing to do. Don't end up like Lance.
                      Pete - It takes a smart and humble person to recognize his or her limitations. You made the right decision. You know you can do it, you've done it before. Now you can take the time you need to do it safely and right. From my own personal experience, admitting that I wasn't ready and therefore missing the 15K/30K in October when I first got sick was really hard to do, so I can sympathize with your situation. It is almost the new year. I'm working hard to get back down to my goal weight and to improving my running form and speed. Care to join me? Jenny
                      Jenny
                        Jenny- I'm still 30 lbs from where I want to be. As much as I want to run my brains out I need to go back to dropping weight. If I'm an okay runner at 190, I'll be a better runner at 160. You're on.