taper? sooner or later? (Read 788 times)

SMART Approach

Jim, Just to be clear, I do believe in some intensity later on especially race specific work outs or miles at marathon pace (still aerobic miles) but generally nothing more intense than this other than quick striders. Also, the volume of these reduces during the 2 weeks before and especially last week. Also, a 35 mile per week marathoner vs. a 50 mile a week marathoner there would be some variance. I am a believer in 10K training plan before marathon training begins. I just don't see the value of higher volume max v02 work outs late in a marathon training plan for a lower mileage runner. A 5K/10K runner yes. I think you need to continue to train body to run efficiently as this is a pure aerobic event. BUT, after some marathon pace miles doing 3-4 X 200M fast w/ full recoery (more like aerobic speedwork) is just fine to keep some fire in the legs vs. the traditional 10 X 400M or 6 X 800M type work outs. This is my approach with much influence from Tinman and am also a huge advocate in his BIG TWO WORKOUT philosophy for marathon training and other distances. I have used it with unbelievable success for my low miles half marathon training.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

ok lets assume getting to 50 miles a week was a bit of a stretch (check my log)... And well generally after 3 weeks of training at 50 my body will be in need of a little break... The concern is that tapering too much will cause a loss in stamina... Basically the week of 5/4 doesn't do much but drop my long run from 22 to 15 and cut out my monday run to to give me back to back rest days... which I think I will need... (comments) The question is about the following week... the week of the 11th... from what you are saying I should probably run my mid week 12-13 and begin to taper from there... monday 8, tue 3, wed 13, th rest (begin taper), friday 6.2, sat 10, sunday 4 = 44.2 Then take it easy the week of the marathon? like monday rest, tue 3.2, wed, 6.4, thru 3.2, friday sat rest (maybe an easy 1 or 2 on saturday)... sunday race?

SMART Approach

ok lets assume getting to 50 miles a week was a bit of a stretch (check my log)... And well generally after 3 weeks of training at 50 my body will be in need of a little break... The concern is that tapering too much will cause a loss in stamina... Basically the week of 5/4 doesn't do much but drop my long run from 22 to 15 and cut out my monday run to to give me back to back rest days... which I think I will need... (comments) The question is about the following week... the week of the 11th... from what you are saying I should probably run my mid week 12-13 and begin to taper from there... monday 8, tue 3, wed 13, th rest (begin taper), friday 6.2, sat 10, sunday 4 = 44.2 Then take it easy the week of the marathon? like monday rest, tue 3.2, wed, 6.4, thru 3.2, friday sat rest (maybe an easy 1 or 2 on saturday)... sunday race?
        Go for it. Seems just fine what you are suggesting.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

John, I'm not too different from you in terms of experience (I've run one marathon 3 years ago), but I am also running a marathon on May 18th. My theory on the tapering is to start earlier because all I want to do is go out and run in something under 4 hours and enjoy myself. I've been logging more miles than I'm used to running and I am going to start ramping after next week to let me legs freshen up and let some minor aches subside. If I'd been consistently running 50+ mpw for the last year and I was used to the wear and tear of running that much, my view may be different. I'm going to try my current taper schedule, see how it goes, then use the experience to run a better marathon time in October when I'll be able put in a better base. Here's my schedule for the weeks up to the run (miles/LR): 4/27 52/21 5/4 40/12 5/11 31/10 5/18 - Run about 10-15 miles before the race Everyone who's posted here probably has much more marathon experience than I do, but personally I don't think adding an extra 10 miles onto my goals is going to do much at this point.
          Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"