2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

I just registered myself. 52 degrees, cloudy, and a westerly wind, here we come!

52 degrees Celsius or Kelvin, but not Fahrenheit 

Just joking; I agree Boston is due for good weather in 2019.

Mikkey: Good luck on Sunday! Just based on your experience and the derived wisdom from all of your marathons, you should be able to knock off a sub 3. But I do believe your training has been sub-3 indicative as well.

Sling: Great job on losing the weight; that's tough to do mid-cycle in my experience. I hear you on missing the cake and cookies (I'll also add candy to that list...).

Kram: Nice couple of weeks; there is a nice bunch of quality in there and some very strong looking long runs. Good choice with Toledo; looks like a nice course.

Weather: An impressive week, especially with a head cold! Hope the cold is on the way out. Soon I will enter paranoia stage about catching a cold, with 4 weeks to go to the marathon.

Marky: You certainly have had a great year wrt 10k/HM races!  Have you any interest in 1500m/mile/3000m racing on the track? It would be interesting with some focused shorter distance speed training what you could do at those distances.

2:52:16 (2018)

weatherboy80

After the past 2 years I'd say we are due some good weather at Boston?  Registered myself on Monday.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - I forgot how quickly your marathon is approaching. Anything big left, either race or workouts, before the taper?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JT - I forgot how quickly your marathon is approaching. Anything big left, either race or workouts, before the taper?

JMac: Nothing in terms of races, other than a low key 5k where I work about 10 days before the marathon. As far as workouts I'll certainly do some more quality but not sure what; I basically make it up as I go. Now that school has started back up I have to do my M-F morning runs super early, in the dark with the headlamp, which makes doing anything fast difficult. So I'll probably do any midweek Q on the treadmill from here on out.

BigGuySkinny

Okay, I hear everyone loud and clear on slowing down.  Will do.  I'm admittedly not terribly knowledgeable about marathon training and execution which is a big part of why I am here but am trying to learn and improve.  I appreciate the feedback.

A lot of really impressive weeks being posted here.

Re: Boston, I qualified for the first time with a BQ-21 (it helps that I'm now 45!) and was planning to register but decided to pass because the timing doesn't work well for me.  Hopefully if I can qualify for next year I'll do it then.  Sounds like a great experience.  I'm looking forward to reading accounts from those of you running it this year in hopefully better weather!

slingrunner

Re: Losing weight... I don't ever find myself going hungry, I'm just completely cutting out unnecessary sugars.  Lots of stir fries for dinner and since I'm a vegetarian, high protein veggie burgers/slices to fill me up.  I'm 5'7 and last year I went from 145>126 in 2 months...this year I only topped off at about 135, and I've worked it down to 127 so far in the last month.  It takes a lot of discipline, but that's something we all share or we wouldn't be here.

I'm planning to sign up for my first Boston Marathon on Friday, with my 3:02<3:10.  I assume that's good enough to get me in, but next year my time will only be 3:15 if necessary.  I'm honestly not super excited about it as I prefer local marathons, but if Steamtown goes well, I might make it my last marathon, and then focus on ultras and shorter distances.  I'm ready to cut my mileage back.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey: Good luck on Sunday! Just based on your experience and the derived wisdom from all of your marathons, you should be able to knock off a sub 3. But I do believe your training has been sub-3 indicative as well.

Thanks JT. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Looks like Mikkey got 3rd place overall and won his AG in his marathon with a 3:08; Great job Mikkey!

I'm in Germany for work for the next 4 days, and saw the end of the Berlin marathon online this morning. Kipchoge was already arguably the greatest marathoner of all time, but after today, there is no disputing it. 2:01:39    4:38/mile average pace. 61:06 first half, 60:33 second half.

madisonrunner

2:01:39!

I was able to finish off my last big week with 20 this morning.  Also encouraging was how easy my 6x1000m VO2 max workout was earlier this week.  I still have 3 weeks to go but the mileage drops pretty substantially now.  This has been my first time following Pfitz and I really liked it.  High mileage with just the right amount of speed.

I won't be signing up for Boston but good luck to those that do.  The last two times I ran it (2012 and 2017) the weather was extremely hot and I went out a little too fast so lost some time in the last 5-10 miles.  One nice thing about Boston is that the bib numbers are in order of qualifying time so if you place higher than your bib number you know you performed pretty well, regardless of weather.

SubDood

Congrats, Mikkey!

Congrats/good luck also to those signing up for Boston. I ran it in 2014 and enjoyed the experience, but probably won't do it again unless there is some other factor that compels me to sign up.

madisonrunner -- great last week before your tapering begins! I also had my last LONG long run today, and I tried one of those HotShots at mile 17. I really thought I might throw up -- hard to tell if it had any affect on my leg cramping issues from this one test. Not sure I want to use it during the marathon.  Um, what happened to the Badgers yesterday?

me -- After following a high mileage (70-85 mpw) Pftiz plan almost to the letter for 14 weeks, I just had a week that included being sick, traveling for work, and sustaining a minor injury. Looking forward to tapering.

DAY

PLAN ACTUAL COMMENTS
                      Monday

6 am

4 pm

6.1 am,

4.0 pm

Recovery, 9:50 avg pace.
                      Tuesday  8

Feeling ill ... and traveling for work.

Wednesday

VO2: 6 x 1200m @5K pace on hotel TM in NYC. Tweaked right hamstring on sixth repeat. Should've stopped after 5.

Thursday

15 am

4 pm

Aerobic, on hotel TM (and exercise bike) in NJ. Ugh -- hammy not happy. Travel day from hell -- no way I'm doing a double.

Friday

Aerobic, 9:00-ish pace, and cut it short due to hammy.
                      Saturday  6

Recovery jog, 9:20 pace, hammy feeling a bit better, but still sore.

Sunday  22  21.5   Long Run, 7:53 avg pace, no issue with hamstring. HotShot almost killed me.
                      TOTAL  85 mi 

64.5 mi

Week 15 of 18 (Pfitz) for Twin Cities Marathon, Oct 7
                      madisonrunner

SubDood - Yeah, I took hotshot this morning on my long run for the first time in a year or more and it is pretty nasty.  Based on how bad it was today I'm not sure if I'll take it during my marathon or not.  The Badgers football team hasn't looked real good in any of the games this season so I wasn't shocked they lost yesterday.  But we'll see, hopefully they can turned it around.

Mikkey - nice race, especially considering your reduced miles recently.  CONGRATS!!!

finbad

Nice work Mikkey

Madison - that is cool about the Boston race number, didn't know that.

SubDood - not really seen much of your training but hopefully tweak is easing off and can coast through the next couple of weeks.

my week: pulled up quite well from last weekend's 10k blow up, off the pace on tuesday club session but had two half days off work thursday & friday so was well up in the mileage before the weekend. This is my peak week before 1/2 in 3 weeks so on Saturday morning jumped into a long run session with a couple of mates who are running Frankfurt marathon then had a nice day off today. All good

Weekly Summary
                            Monday, Sep 10, 2018 thru Sunday, Sep 16, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Description Link
                            Mon 7.6 7:48 Not too achey strava
                            Mon 4.0 8:17 Afternoon Run strava
                            Tue 11.5 7:59 Garscube, 6x 1k strava
                            Wed 3.3 8:37 Morning Run strava
                            Wed 7.6 7:23 Head cage strava
                            Thu 13.5 7:08 Lunch Runners out and back plus half-day run about strava
                            Fri 3.3 8:19 Morning Run strava
                            Fri 11.3 7:31 I'm getting moist strava
                            Sat 18.4 6:47 Some marathon stuff with Ian and Craig strava
                              80.5 7:29    

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - nice race, especially considering your reduced miles recently.  CONGRATS!!!

Thanks Rovatti and I hope your recovery is going well. I’ve never had the urge to do Boston, but I’d love to go back to NYC as the city and race is amazing! (I need to persuade DW)

Thanks JT, SubDood, Finbad.....yesterday was my 37th marathon in the 10 years that I’ve been running, but it felt like I was a n00b again with a 10min positive split. I just looked at my training log for 2016 London marathon and can see that I was deluded in thinking I was in Sub 3 shape. I did a few decent workouts this cycle, but it was on low mileage so you can’t compare that to when you’re averaging nearly double mileage per week. That’s why the marathon is my favourite distance because you can’t take shortcuts. A fast marathon means that you’ve trained hard for it!

Finbad - Great week and you’ve got your motivation back!  What was the beef with Berlin and did you get in through the lottery/eligible to run it next year?

SubDood - Good week and enjoy your taper! The hammy is the one niggle that always scares me! I would keep to MP runs as anything faster could be trouble.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

finbad

Mikkey, looking at your splits from yesterday I'd say you managed your stamina amazingly well, I cant imagine holding onto a fading effort for that long and still being able to come out with a good result. That's 37 marathons of experience I guess.

Finbad - Great week and you’ve got your motivation back!  What was the beef with Berlin and did you get in through the lottery/eligible to run it next year?

Problem with Berlin was just life/family/money stuff. We're super busy and it became clear that I wouldn't know 100% for sure that I'd be able to race until a few weeks before race day. I just found it impossible to want to put in that amount of work with the potential of not actually getting to race.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k