Post-run carbohydrate intake (Read 813 times)

Should you consume most of what you expend on a long run during that crucial 15-minute period? I drink milk, which has a good

carb/protein/fat ratio, but I'd need to drink more than I have been to meet what I expend during an 8 mile run. In my experience

meeting the protein requirement is never the difficult part, the tough thing is getting enough carbs while still having comfortable

digestion, since they take up the most space in the stomach. If I don't get enough carbs daily I will inevitably have a day every

two weeks or so where I need to basically just eat as many grains as I can. To me liquid calories seems like a possible solution

to this. Thoughts? 

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

Sounds pointless (and impossible) to me. What is the significance of the first 15 minutes? Would you try to take in 2000 calories in the first 15 minutes after a 20 miler?

Runners run

The significance of the first 15 mins is that (allegedly) your body replaces glycogen lost in the muscles more effectively if you take the carbs straight after (or even during) exercise. I don't know how well backed up by good research this is, but it's often claimed...

Personally I usually eat pretty soon after a long run - but I just have a normal meal.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'm not sure one has to replace all the carbs burned in a run in the first 30mins (which is the up-take window for carbs after exercise).  As Mike points out 2,000 kcals after a 20miler is A LOT.  Even if you could down it all, I'd imagine the up-take window provides diminishing absorption returns (just my guess).

As mentioned, Ultra-Gen serves the above purpose.  Only 350kcals per pint.  But in my experience that seems to be plenty to promote recovery.  I've been using it this training season and found it makes a large difference for long-runs.  Before, I was pretty spent most of the day after my 20miler.  Now, I am a bit stiff and sore, but otherwise have a normal day. 

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No point in doing this.

Eat to hunger. Drink to thirst. Enjoy your beer.

DoppleBock

If I have beaten my muscles down - Either with a really long run 30+ or a 15-20 miler with speed, I tend to take 300-500 calories soon after.  This may not be completely necissary, but I find my next run goes better if I do - Sometimes the next run is only 4-5 hours away.  This becomes even more important for me if I am running 130+ miles a week.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

But I am a nutriceutical kind of guy - Usually taking 300 calories of endurox r4 and 200 calories of pro-source nytro whey extreme.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Thanks to all for the input. Believe me - the only reason I give a flying eff is because I notice trends in my training wherein I  can run for two weeks or so @ 6-8 mi every day (OK, not "high" mileage, but still), but over the final couple days my legs start to feel like they are made of Jell-o. It then might take as many as 2 rest days of stretching/massage, and consuming easily as much kcal as I do on run days before I feel strong again. Makes me think (a) streak running is not in my best interest at the moment, or (b) something's off with my recovery. I'm sure it will all normalize at some point, but it's nice to have a handle on things. 

run for two weeks or so @ 6-8 mi every day (OK, not "high" mileage, but still), but over the final couple days my legs start to feel like they are made of Jell-o.

Maybe you just need more variability in your training?

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Maybe you just need more variability in your training?

This is what I was thinking as well.  You could even keep the same mileage per week and work in 2 rest days.  Though a caloric deficiency might also be a contributing factor.  I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I would think you should check to see if you're losing weight over the week/month to make sure you're restoring what you need.

You don't have to down it all in one sitting, though.

This is what I was thinking as well.  You could even keep the same mileage per week and work in 2 rest days.  Though a caloric deficiency might also be a contributing factor.  I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I would think you should check to see if you're losing weight over the week/month to make sure you're restoring what you need.

You don't have to down it all in one sitting, though.

In terms of variability, my tendency right now is to vary the intensity of the run rather than the distance run, depending on how I feel. The reason

I like doing this is that it makes it easier to ballpark how much energy I am expending and which will need replaced from day to day. In this 

case, I probably just didn't slow down enough on the days which I designated in my mind to be "slow." I think a lot of folks struggle with pace honesty as well. 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

In terms of variability, my tendency right now is to vary the intensity of the run rather than the distance run, depending on how I feel. The reason

I like doing this is that it makes it easier to ballpark how much energy I am expending and which will need replaced from day to day. In this 

case, I probably just didn't slow down enough on the days which I designated in my mind to be "slow." I think a lot of folks struggle with pace honesty as well. 

I believe your kcal/mile stays constant no matter your pace.

I believe your kcal/mile stays constant no matter your pace.

Right, all I meant is that if I run the same distance each time then I have roughly the same energy expenditure every run, even if I run

faster some days and slower on others.