Olympic Marathon Trials (Read 246 times)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Data on all Olympic Marathon trials qualifiers.

https://www.atlanta2020trials.com/qualifier-statistics

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

35-36 is a great age for the women.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I love Lagot sitting up higher than everyone up age axis.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Just curious, what is the correlation with Colorado to have so many qualifiers? Huge numbers for both men and women relative to the population.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

mikeymike

Just curious, what is the correlation with Colorado to have so many qualifiers? Huge numbers for both men and women relative to the population.

Boulder. People move there to train at elevation.

Runners run

Also one of the more populated altitude states...

Boulder. People move there to train at elevation.

300m- 37 sec.

mikeymike

Also one of the more populated altitude states...

Colorado does produce some good runners, for sure. It has an active population, reared at elevation with good high school sports. It would be interesting to go through the list (I'm not gonna do it) and see how many native-born Coloradans are in the trials compared to those who moved there. I suspect the natives are in the minority. In addition to the Denver/Boulder area, Colorado now also has a couple of elite groups training in Colorado Springs

Arizona is another state with a disproportionate number of people in the trials mostly due to Flagstaff and NAZ Elite.

Runners run

pepperjack

pie man

Cragg out on the women's side.  Two years ago she was probably the favorite.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I was shocked Cragg is out.  It was going to be tough for her, but cancelling this close is shocking. But if you are horribly sick, what can you do.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Stephanie Andre is semi-local to me. I met her at a HM a few years ago. A race she won at a pace fast enough to win the 5k at the same event.

Started running (and stopped smoking) a mere 7 years ago. Set the CR for the OKC Memorial marathon last year, too.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

EmKay Myers. 2:41:16 in Chicago. Local to me. I've never met her and she probably won't win. I think it's cool to know someone from somewhere I live made it in. Plus she said marathon training is easy.

https://www.rgj.com/story/sports/college/nevada/2020/02/26/nevada-coach-myers-qualifies-olympic-trials-marathon/4861608002/

Myers, 25, ran track for Nevada from 2012 to 2017. Aside from a three-month recovery period after minor ankle surgery, she has continued training ever since graduating.

She said training for a marathon is easier than training for track and field because she can motivate herself.

"The marathon is a much easier thing to train for, alone, than grinding on a track, for me at least," Myers said. "I don't need a coach yelling at me as much as I did on the track, I guess."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

My club (CPTC-NB) has 5 women and 1 guy:

Aileen Barry

Alexandra Bernadi

Andrea Bradshaw

Jenny Donnelly

Natalie Mackenze

Matt Rand

It does make the trials more fun and engaging with locals to root for (even if they don't have a shot at the team)

#artbydmcbride

i love the Bio picture for Craig Hunt.  

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Here'e a nice analysis of the large number of women who OTQ'ed this year.

Cool. Only quibble is that I don't think the Times analyzed more than a million marathons to determine the effect of Vaporflys.