Treatment to Remove Toenail Fungus (Read 18215 times)

xor

My fungus, diagnosed by culture,

Our problem is the culture.

Had we run barefoot after not eating or drinking for many many days, perhaps we would not have toenail fungus.

If Chuck Norris had toenail fungus, he'd cut off his toe.  I could see that treatment working and would definitely cure the problem faster than antibiotics.

xor

If Chuck Norris had toenail fungus, he'd cut off his toe.  I could see that treatment working and would definitely cure the problem faster than antibiotics.

That sounds like Ronnie Lott chopping off the end of his finger.

(although whether it happened during a game, between games, or after the season seems to be up for debate depending on what you read. I got tired of trying to track it down.  I'm betting it was after the season.  Yes, I realize that's what wiki says.  1985 was a strange time. We had just gotten over parachute pants.)

That sounds like Ronnie Lott chopping off the end of his finger.

(although whether it happened during a game, between games, or after the season seems to be up for debate depending on what you read. I got tired of trying to track it down.  I'm betting it was after the season.  Yes, I realize that's what wiki says.  1985 was a strange time. We had just gotten over parachute pants.)

As a Niner fan, I definitely remember the Lott finger chopping.  As a young boy in 1985 that loved to breakdance, I definitely remember wearing parachute pants.  My favorite pair were the grey ones with the hot pink along the side of the leg when unzipped.  My mom use to hate that I would try and wear them at least 3 days a week to school.

Is that source peer-reviewed? I guess it does not matter.  You know, since it is in the internet, so it must be true.  Even though all the research suggests that these topical and home remedies don't work, I guess that something some random person posted on the web takes precedence.

And please, rather than get something that is potentially dangerous checked out, just go with Listerine soaks.  Don't worry that you might be misdiagnosing (and therefore missing) melanoma or psoriasis. 

Sigh.

Why do you bother?

It's apparent that they aren't listening.

Jeff

Area Man

There are a number of things that look like toenail fungus. 

Trent - What are the other things?

I know a few runners have had their toenails surgically removed. It seems like we've discovered another benefit to getting this procedure. You no longer need to worry about whether or not you have toenail fungus.

xor

>> There are a number of things that look like toenail fungus.

Trent - What are the other things?

I once had a pancake that looked like toe fungus.  The dude next to me had one that looked like the virgin Mary.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The ones that are most concerning are:

• malignant melanoma
                    • psoriasis
                    wickedlady

I have worked with a company of nurses who specialize in footcare for the elderly and they recommend applying vicks vaporub daily.  Fungus is very common in this age group and the vaporub definitely helps....

zonykel

I'll speak from my personal experience. I used to have 4 toenails on one foot that had different discoloration: some had yellow at the edges. I thought I'd just cut out the yellow parts, but when then the nail regrew, the discoloration expanded and turned white.

Do I know if it's toe nail fungus? Not sure, to be honest. I went to see the doctor, she took several samples, and from what I remember, they came back negative. What else could it be besides toe nail fungus? I don't know, but I didn't care. The doctor prescribed some oral medication. I tried it for a while, but I felt unconfortable around the liver area. The doctor asked me to stop taking the medication, did some liver tests, and came back negative. Somewhat scared, I just stopped taking that medication (it had ads on TV, so it was very popular). I read the side effects for the medication, and although rare, they seemed quite significant.

I tried something else called leucatin (apparently, the parent company, selmedica, shut down). It consisted of some pills you took and some oil you applied to the nails.

Frankly, I thought the pills didn't do anything (they were supposed to "boost your immune system" or something like that). It sounded bogus.

In any case, after a few months, the nails regrew without discoloration. I think it was the oil that actually helped. I applied it twice a day (once in the morning, once in the evening) until all the discoloration was gone.

This is just my personal experience, and it hasn't been peer reviewed or analyzed scientifically.

Feeling the growl again

• malignant melanoma
                          • psoriasis

Er, yeah, in that order.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What else could it be besides toe nail fungus?

• malignant melanoma
                            • psoriasis

Plus some benign stuff that goes away on its own.  But I'd certainly want to know if there is a melanoma hidden under a nail.

A negative teonail culture suggests that the toenail abnormality is not caused by fungus.  Therefore, it would not be surprising that: a) the treatment for fungus did not work, and b) that it went away with time (something fungus does not do).

• malignant melanoma
                              • psoriasis

Why is psoriasis a concern?   (speaking as a guy who has eczema on my feet)

Jeff

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Psoriasis is not the same as eczema, at all.

Psoriasis can be just an uncomfortable disease of the skin, or it can involve other organ systems.