Trying to Run Again (Read 204 times)

morphex

On Instagram at https://instagram.com/morphexx

On Twitter at https://twitter.com/blogologue

Blogging at http://blogologue.com

I stretched once back in the 80's. It was pretty nice. Still feelin' pretty loose.

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

I think it depends on what the stretches are and what you're hoping to get out of them. I do a five minutes warm before I run of leg swings front and back, followed by hip, knee and ankle circles. After I run, I like to get into a deep squat for a minute or so three or four times, then reach forward to work on touching my toes. I find it feels good. I have noticed that when I consistently get into the positions and hold them, I have much more mobility in my feet and toes. The squatting position really gets your little toe involved, and gives flexibility where I like it. It takes 3-5 minutes. Therefor, I will continue.

Ballistic stretches are gooder than static stretches (like we did in PE and Track in the 60's and 70's). It's funny how people will still stretch before warming up, though!

Again, if stretching is part of your routine and mental preparation, do it. No one is telling you not to stretch, just that it may be a waste of time or counter-productive to your goals.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Altair5

Runs in the rain

You definitely can get back, you can probably well exceed your previous times and distances.  It takes 7-10 years of progressively harder training to reach full running potential.  You came nowhere near your full potential in your 2016-2017 stint.  Sure you're battling age, but the improvements you can get through consistent training are much greater than what you will lose through age.  Only when you are near your true potential does age start to slow  you down.

It won't be easy or happen overnight.  Patience and consistency will be the keys.  You may need to train harder than you did before.

I'm 68 years old and I just want to add from my experience I totally agree with Paul. I have taken some long breaks, one which lasted several years. It is hard to start again from "square one" and basically you are a beginner and have to earn back all your previous ability. But, few of us can say we reached our maximum potential, so it is still possible to achieve PRs even late in our games.I also agree that having attained fitness before it will be easier to train back to that level than if you were just beginning. My own story is that I have not run consistently this year due to my work schedule and health concerns, but I still have hopes of training for my fastest marathon ever and getting that coveted Boston qualifier! 

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
            Get up, get out, get out of the door!

RichardR

Just want to weigh in here and ask OldGoat how it's going?

My new start has become more encouraging.  6 weeks in and I am starting to feel like my stride is occasionally what it was before I took a break.  And, my long runs are now close to 6 miles, which looked impossible 8 weeks ago.

So, just keep at it.  Slowly it comes back.

I'm 68 years old and I just want to add from my experience I totally agree with Paul. I have taken some long breaks, one which lasted several years. It is hard to start again from "square one" and basically you are a beginner and have to earn back all your previous ability. But, few of us can say we reached our maximum potential, so it is still possible to achieve PRs even late in our games.I also agree that having attained fitness before it will be easier to train back to that level than if you were just beginning. My own story is that I have not run consistently this year due to my work schedule and health concerns, but I still have hopes of training for my fastest marathon ever and getting that coveted Boston qualifier! 

Your story is encouraging and I read your profile.  I am almost the same age, and have more running injuries during the previous 2 years that hampered a regular running schedule.  Trying to get back into shape again.