*happy dance* (aka the solution for a blistered or raw achilles area) (Read 1180 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yay!!! Big grin blister pad + big foam bandage + duct tape + Dr. Scholl's Dynastep insert = shoes that make my right achilles skin happy, again! Whoo hoo!!! I felt NO pain from my raw spot on my right achilles area, this run...AND had about my fastest pace EVER for an easy run--I did about a 10:30 minute mile pace for over 5.5 miles. Compare this with my "tempo" run from 2 nights ago when I struggled for a 10:44 minute pace for less than 4 miles. I also had no shin or calf issues, so I am pretty certain that I was favoring my right heel the other night and it was causing an awkward gait and accompanying lower leg (and a bit of lower back) pains. The blister pad did still move a fair bit, so for my long run tomorrow with backroadrunner I will be nixing the big foam bandage over that pad in favor of a wide piece of athletic tape, then securing the edges of that with the clear duct tape (which, BTW, still was coming loose around the sides, thanks to what a sweat-hog this girl is!). I'm also going to tie my shoes even tighter. Even though they feel a bit uncomfortably snug when I first put them on, by the end of a run they are a little looser than need be, I think. I'm sure that doesn't help with the heel movement, any. Happy girl, happy girl... Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

blister pad + big foam bandage + duct tape + Dr. Scholl's Dynastep insert =
      a headache every time you try to run! Good luck, Kirsten. I hope this works for you!

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

a headache every time you try to run! Good luck, Kirsten. I hope this works for you!
        I think once the sore heals that I won't need to add the blister pad and duct tape stuff (the Dr. Scholl's insert + tying my shoes tighter and wearing those double-layer or Smartwool socks should definitely help prevent the problem from re-ocurring). Either that or I will work on gradually developing a small callus in that spot. And, of course, my left foot is still happy as can be. My right foot is just such a princess (or is that prince-ass?)! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Kirsten, I know you're head over heels with your new shoes, but you only seem to have the heel problem in those and not others. You shouldn't need all that stuff every time you run, no matter how much your right foot resembles a prince's ass (not that I know what that's like). Just a thought.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm hoping that once the spot heals I won't need all the extra stuff (other than maybe the shoe inserts, which do seem to help the back of the shoes to be a bit snugger)--if I still do then I will definitely be looking at a different pair right after my 10 mile race, plenty of time before my HM 6 weeks later. For now the fix seems to work pretty well. Getting ready for my runs is always a production, anyhow...get dressed, sports bra, hair up, wicking hat/visor, use my inhaler, grab a cotton hanky for wiping sweat, put on my stop watch, get my cel phone, Camelbak (for long runs), stretch....phew! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom, There is a particular way to tie your shoe that does a better job of locking the heel and things tend not to move as much. I am trying to figure out how I would begin to explain the process here. I was taught how to do it at a running store. I am preparing for a marathon and have custom orthotics that are only have my foot. They had been causing me various problems and the new way to tie the show was a part of the solution. I also was told by my foot doctor to try a specific off the shelf orthotic insole as opposed to the half orthotic. That has really seemed to help. My biggest problem was that when I was running long distances sweat would run into my shoe and because the half orthotic was plastic with no pad, all of the sweat would pool in the front of the shoe and cause blisters and other issues. These are much better. I also use bodyglide on my feet. Like you, I have quite a process to get ready for a run. Well good luck, I hope it gets better for you soon! Ken
                Ken, Do you do the tie thing where you put the lace on the same side through the 2nd to last, then the last hole, then cross them & run them through the lace "bridge" on the other side. Then when you tie, you can wiggle them back & forth & it snugs the heel?? aka, the runner's knot?? That is the method I've always used for heel slippage. I noticed today when zoom-zoom/Kirsten & I were running, her's are laced like that too. I think her one foot is, as she said, a prince's ass. The last pair of shoes she had, it was the only one that blistered too. I don't know if it is going to make a difference if she gets new shoes, that foot will just find a new place to blister. Eryn
                So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ken, is this what you are talking about: lace lock Yep, I've done that and it does seem to help, I think I just have one really weird and uppity foot. Once I get this sore to heal I am going to try different things with socks and Body Glide or Chamois Butt'r (something cyclists use on their butts and inner shorts chamois--hubby has a big tube). I have a few pair of those double-layer Wright socks and a few Smartwool socks, too. Both types seem really promising. Since they are all very thin I may even try a pair of the double-layer socks as a liner inside of the Smartwools (I LOVE the way those double-layer socks feel against my feet, too and come cold weather having 3 thin socks will be nice to keep my tootsies warm and dryer). Smile Ran 9.5 miles today with Eryn and my blister pad/athletic tape/duct tape solution worked very well, again...though by the end of the run the duct tape was sweating off...the raw spot was still well protected and pain-free, though. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

I'm also going to tie my shoes even tighter. Even though they feel a bit uncomfortably snug when I first put them on, by the end of a run they are a little looser than need be, I think. I'm sure that doesn't help with the heel movement, any.
                    Way to go! That's quite a combo, but I'm glad you're getting some relief! Big grin Just a note, be careful lacing them up TOO tight. I was lacing my shoes too tight (just liked that snug feel, I guess) for a while and I ended up giving myself a little inflammation of the tendons on the top of my foot! (Pretty stupid huh? Tongue) I wouldn't even mention it, I'm sure you doing fine, but I had to open my big mouth so that perhaps someone, somewhere, might benefit from my really really dumb mistake! Big grin
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just a note, be careful lacing them up TOO tight. I was lacing my shoes too tight (just liked that snug feel, I guess) for a while and I ended up giving myself a little inflammation of the tendons on the top of my foot! (Pretty stupid huh? Tongue) I wouldn't even mention it, I'm sure you doing fine, but I had to open my big mouth so that perhaps someone, somewhere, might benefit from my really really dumb mistake! Big grin
                      No, thanks for mentioning that--if I start experiencing any true pain on the top of my foot I would definitely back-off. Inflamed tendons is definitely not something I would want to deal with--ouchie! How long did it take before you started having problems? k

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

How long did it take before you started having problems?
                        It wasn't as bad as I might have made it sound.. I didn't see a doctor or anything... but it's still something I try to avoid repeating! Wink It was mainly due to one LONG run during a time when I was already battling some mild plantar fasciitis (about a year ago). To counteract that, I tried lacing my shoes even tighter than usual (didn't really work) and one side in particular felt a little 'pinchy' on the top. I recognized the pain but, being in the middle of my long run, I didn't want to stop and mess up my pace (big mistake). The pain actually went away but when I got home the top of my foot was slightly bruised and the tendons up there were pretty sore with a bit of swelling. The soreness got a little worse, but luckily I was still able to run, as long as I kept those laces really loose, and it resolved in a week or so with ice, etc. In the end, it was an educational experience because I learned that I can run with looser laces and still have a really comfortable run (let the shoes give the support.. not the laces). I still don't make them that loose, though... Big grin Hey, another thing I learned, at a shoe clinic last year, regards that very top shoelace hole in most running shoes (you know the one? There are two there, side by side, one on the inside and one outside/farther back). At this clinic, there was a running shoe store owner who was very knowledgeable about shoe fit and there was also a MD who specialized in running related injuries. Both agreed that the last shoelace hole (the one farther outside) is completely useless! I'd already come to that conclusion for my own lacing preference, but it was interesting to hear these 'experts' say it's true in general... They voiced concerns that people might use those holes and put excess pressure on their ankle/tendons. Too each their own, of course, but I thought this was good advice.
                          Ken, Do you do the tie thing where you put the lace on the same side through the 2nd to last, then the last hole, then cross them & run them through the lace "bridge" on the other side. Then when you tie, you can wiggle them back & forth & it snugs the heel?? aka, the runner's knot?? That is the method I've always used for heel slippage. I noticed today when zoom-zoom/Kirsten & I were running, her's are laced like that too. I think her one foot is, as she said, a prince's ass. The last pair of shoes she had, it was the only one that blistered too. I don't know if it is going to make a difference if she gets new shoes, that foot will just find a new place to blister. Eryn
                          Eryn & Kirsten, Yes that sounds like exactly what I do. You did far better at explaining it than I could. Yeah we all seem to have "glitches" that are hard to figure out. If anyone can tell a very sweaty boy how to stop my shoes from getting so soaked and ucky on long runs I am all ears. I am really enjoying this site. Being able to log my miles has really been a motivator and I like these boards. Have to say I am in Florida for a few weeks and it is so hot here that I am not sure anything is going to motivate me for long runs here. Nice to get to know all of you! Ken
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

Ken - I haven't tried this, but what about putting one of those sweat-band wrist-band thingies - wide, absorbant, floofy, towel-ly looking things with elastic - around each of your ankles to catch your body's sweat as it rolls down your legs? Of course you'd want a large sized pair... Just an idea for you! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

Janell, I actually just did that for the first time yesterday. I only ran 4 miles, but I do think that it did help. Thanks very much for the suggestion. I am going to be running 8 in the Florida heat tomorrow morning. That should let me know just how much it helps. Ken
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, another thing I learned, at a shoe clinic last year, regards that very top shoelace hole in most running shoes (you know the one? There are two there, side by side, one on the inside and one outside/farther back). At this clinic, there was a running shoe store owner who was very knowledgeable about shoe fit and there was also a MD who specialized in running related injuries. Both agreed that the last shoelace hole (the one farther outside) is completely useless! I'd already come to that conclusion for my own lacing preference, but it was interesting to hear these 'experts' say it's true in general... They voiced concerns that people might use those holes and put excess pressure on their ankle/tendons. Too each their own, of course, but I thought this was good advice.
                                My last pair of shoes had that hole and I didn't use it (mainly because I have cankles and never saw the need), but my new shoes don't have it. I don't think I have ever seen anyone use that top-most set of holes on shoes that have them and always have wondered what the purpose was. k

~ Sarah Kay