Pain Along Side Foot (Read 122 times)

BreeH

Hello all looking for some insight!

Saturday I ran a 5k with some pretty big hills along the way. During and immediately after I was fine but now I have horrible pain on the outer side of my left foot. The pain started after I took my sneakers off about 2 hours after the race.

I went and had x-rays last night and they said there was no break or fracture & gave me crutches but no resolution to the cause of it.

I usually run at least 3 miles a week in 2 intervals and walk 2 or 3 times a week at least 5 miles each time. I invested in asics back in april.

I am at a loss of what this could be and would love advice of how to make this pain stop & heal!

Thanks!

If it is anywhere near your pinkie toe joint it could be a tailors bunion.  Does it hurt when you wear wider shoes or walk in flip flops?

BreeH

@flatfooter It is more below that curve where I have seen bunions occur (from other posts). It hurts anytime there is pressure put on it with any shoe (tried running shoe, sandal, sperry etc...)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Maybe your shoes were tied too tight, and brought about acute tendonitis. I would take it easy, wear comfy, soft shoes, or no shoes for a week or two, and see how the foot is feeling then.

SMART Approach

Is it more in middle of foot where the bump is-5th metatarsal head? You can't rule out a stress reaction or stress fracture. These would not show up on X-ray. Does it hurt when you press on the area?

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

JanaLamb

Is it tender to touch? Are there any redness or swelling?

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

KillerB

Hello Bree,

I've been a runner for over 30 years and finally broke down several years ago with a similar problem on my right foot that stopped me from running for a better part of 3 years.  Then a neighbor who is a doctor saw me walking and noticed a leg length imbalance.  My left leg was shorter.  She helped me with a shoe insert under my left orthodic. I'm just starting to run again.  But, that may not be your problem.  But, in reading your post I noted 2 things.  One is that it was a 5k race.  I assume you ran the race.  Also, that your weekly mileage is low.  Secondly you say your run in Asics that you bought in April.  That over 6 months ago. There are many types of Asics shoes range from very low grade shoes to excellent shoes.  Also there are neutral support shoes, shoes for pronators, and motion control shoes.  You need to visit a real good running store.  I don't know what state your in, but check with local runners in your area. They can help you find a good retailer who can help you pick the correct shoes.  Next if you want to run races start increasing your mileage slowly.  I recommend that you should be at least running 5 miles easy before you decide to run a 5K.

To stop the pain, rest, ice and elevation along.   See a podiatrist, if it doesn't get better.  Check with a local running club to see if they have any recommendations.  Good luck.

Taressainst

Your shoes could be very tight.

Joann Y

Your shoes could be very tight.

One million dollars.