Avoiding Burnout (Read 526 times)

Running Dad

I took off yesterday and was quite glad to be out running. The weather was nice, the town was still asleep, not to many cars on the road. I knew I had a few hours ahead of me but I really just felt 'blah' the whole time. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my solitude. It's the only solitude I have. After taking care of the sick, dying and stupid(if you have to ask I'll tell you) then going home and taking care of kids full time I really need some alone time. It's just that I'm really at a point now where I would just rather sit in the corner and do nothing. I now I'm on the verge of just burning out. Running is literally the longest thing I've stuck with outside of work and school, and I enjoy it way to much. I don't want to take time off, i don't think I need to, I just don't want to be frustrated and wasted by the time my race rolls around. So i guess what I'm trying to say is, what do you guys do to help in these situations?
    Things to do this year:
    Not get an injury
    Things done this year:
    Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
      I've had those days. A lot of days, I just have to get out there and make myself run. That's when having a training program is really good. To be training for a race (as I see you are) and knowing that skimping on this run could possibly hurt my performance, I get out there are run, and many days I find that those are the days where I have some of the best runs. Of course, there are exceptions to that rule, just like many others.

Why is it sideways?

It happens to all of us--even the most committed. Sometimes you've got extra energy to give to running, and sometimes running needs to serve the other parts of your life. In these moments, it's probably best not to race, or at least not to worry about your race performances. It's a cyclical thing and if you can stay consistent and keep training through the low points, you'll be in great position to really pour yourself into your running when the time is right. What I do when these moments hit is take off the watch, forget the log, don't count my weekly mileage, and just get out the door when I can for as long as I want to.
        Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Everyone's who's been running for any length of time has been through this. Sometimes it's because you're overdoing it, but there are other causes. Looking at your training log, your mileage and intensity seem a little "flat". Perhaps some cruise intervals, hill repeats, a new route or something like that will shake things loose for you. Earlier this year I ran into a similar feeling and it was obviously due to overtraining. One week off, followed by a time of running a few times per week as long/short/fast/slow as I wanted to and I was fine as frog's hair.

Running Dad

Looking at your training log, your mileage and intensity seem a little "flat". Perhaps some cruise intervals, hill repeats, a new route or something like that will shake things loose for you.
            I'm not sure what flat means but I'll add a little to this. When I do run, it's usually the only time I have to run. My day is so filled with just being dad that when my wife gets home it's eat, settle, run, bed, repeat for a few days, then work a 24 hour shift. I never really have time for myself unless I'm running and when I want it, I'm 'being selfish'. I'm lucky enough to have people that will help with the kids but that's only about 2 times a month. When that happens I take advantage of having a nice midday run. I don't sleep, 3-4 hours in a night is alot for me, and it's been like this for over 15 years. Everyone keeps saying, 'Go see a doc and get some sleeping pills.' I'm just afraid that with the whole, devote x hours to sleep, I won't have enough to devote and my kids will be awake doing god knows what while I'm waiting for the pill to wear off, but that's another story for another time. getting back. I run when I can, or when I have a free hour to spare because I never know when I'm going to have another, and I just feel that I don't when my next free hour will be. I've thought about taking the kids running with me in the stroller but a 6+ mile run pushing a stroller doesn't sit well. I don't know, it's all really confusing.
            Things to do this year:
            Not get an injury
            Things done this year:
            Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
              I don't think you're burned out. I think you are tired. Your job is very demanding and draining of energy. It is affecting your running. No easy solutions here except that I would keep your running as your "me" time. Leave the kids behind.

Why is it sideways?

I don't think you're burned out. I think you are tired.
                Bingo.
                JakeKnight

Turn your run time into pure play for a while. Leave your watch at home. No Garmin. (Or if you just have to record the data, stick it in a pocket so you can't look at it). Run at whatever pace you want. If you think a walk sounds fun, walk. If you think you'd like to sprint a mile until your lung bleed, do that. Say hi to people. Talk to animals. Run in tall grass. Run through water. Chase somebody. Let somebody chase you. Whatever you feel like. Just run to run. Run to run, until you feel like running to train. For what its worth, you might find that running that way is training - and that you get faster. -------- I've been having some of the same problems. Just haven't felt much like running, and the less I ran, the less I wanted to run. So this morning, I just went running. Pace didn't matter. I was just out enjoying the park. And surprise - it was the first good run I've had in a while. When it got cut short by a phone call, I was bummed. It was so good, I may go again later today. MTA:
                  What I do when these moments hit is take off the watch, forget the log, don't count my weekly mileage, and just get out the door when I can for as long as I want to.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------