Potassium (Read 738 times)

... Which would take 4 bananas and some other, which would add a lot more Calories than I have room for...

The obvious solution to this is to run more - 4 bananas is like an 30mins of  running or something, calorie-wise Smile

10 highest foods in potassium:

Some might surprise you: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

A Saucy Wench

The obvious solution to this is to run more - 4 bananas is like an 30mins of  running or something, calorie-wise Smile

450-500 calories   I dont burn that in 30 minutes  Besides the fact that 4 bananas would be nauseating.

Or you could just go on the 8-1-1 diet and do 30 bananas a day

Seriously, unless you have reason to believe you are low in potassium other than some food logging program I wouldnt stress about it.  From what recall unless you are on some kind of diuretic its really more about the ratio of sodium to potassium and if you mostly eat real food there should be no issues. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

MrH

As Trent noted, many fruits and veg have potassium: apricots, OJ, bananas, raisins, baked potato, grapes, prunes, melon, avocado. And of course chocolate.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Best Present Ever

are you sure that the program you're using to log foods includes an accurate potassium count for everything?  In my experience, some foods in those databases only have the most basic information (calories and perhaps fat) and many only have the information that you'd find on the required food label.  Potassium is not one of the micronutrients required on food labels.  I had the same issue a while back and when I looked in detail at the information provided for each food figured out that many micronutrients weren't actually being tracked for many foods. 

A Saucy Wench

are you sure that the program you're using to log foods includes an accurate potassium count for everything?  In my experience, some foods in those databases only have the most basic information (calories and perhaps fat) and many only have the information that you'd find on the required food label.  Potassium is not one of the micronutrients required on food labels.  I had the same issue a while back and when I looked in detail at the information provided for each food figured out that many micronutrients weren't actually being tracked for many foods. 

+1

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

heather85

Dietpower takes most of it from the USDA nutrient database I think but I checked and everything I have eaten lists a value under potassium; and I listed it for each food I added from the USDA database. Thanks for the thought!  

I'm only averaging about 1249 calories a day, so as I said it is reduced- finding it tough to get all of everything in that quantity but have got everything but potassium.  Unfortunately, I can't run much... after averaging almost 10 miles a day for all of 2011, 10 miles feels like a long run now Sad

Not much a reason to believe I'm deficient. I'm trying to check everything because all the fatigue/overtraining issue - to see if there is something going on more than just over training.  

I have my routine bloodwork in a few weeks so I could always ask the doctor to add it in for assurance.

heather85

hrm, mayoclinic says 1600-2000 mg is adequate. I'm getting over that.  Maybe I need to look into the Dietpower recommendation of 4600 mg.

A Saucy Wench

Well, the recommendation was upped based on a study that showed lower risk of heart disease based on higher intake. OTOH the need for potassium increases with increasing sodium in the diet, so is the recommendation slanted to compensate for the overuse of sodium in most diets? IDK, but I suspect it might be.

When you were training the way you were before you backed off you probably needed more just to compensate for sweat, but in what is hopefully a short recovery I would think what you are getting is fine. 

I'm only averaging about 1249 calories a day, so as I said it is reduced- finding it tough to get all of everything in that quantity but have got everything but potassium.  Unfortunately, I can't run much... after averaging almost 10 miles a day for all of 2011, 10 miles feels like a long run now Sad

Umm, this seems like really low calorie intake.  Maybe low energy is due to low calories?  I don't know what your training schedule looks like but speedwork can have a huge effect on metabolism.  You can eat more plus lose weight doing some speedwork if losing weight is your goal.