What do you do while running? (Read 1927 times)

I am way into the nature thing.

Do  you realize there are people who never go outside?  I mean, some people just go from the office door to their car door, to their home door.   Some people just don't go outside unless they have to.

I can't imagine that.  I consider myself lucky to be able to run and go where I please. You never know when your good fortune will run out.

We are all so lucky.

- Anya

Wing

Joggaholic

I used to listen to music on all my runs, then I got too lazy to mess with setting up my phone and earbuds and so I've started running without music except for 2 hr long runs. Then winter set in and I started hiding inside running on my treadmill, so lately I've been doing Netflix. Only 30+ more episodes of BSG to go...

jingchunyu

Listening to an audiobook is a great way to kill time while running.   I finished listening to War and PEace, Anna Karenia, Crime and Punishemnt

and a big portion was done while running.

http://librivox.org/ is a great sources if you are interested in classic literature and want to listen to such books.

You can start with become hooked on two hobbies - audiobook listening and running

sugnim

I am way into the nature thing.

Do  you realize there are people who never go outside?  I mean, some people just go from the office door to their car door, to their home door.   Some people just don't go outside unless they have to.

I can't imagine that.  I consider myself lucky to be able to run and go where I please. You never know when your good fortune will run out.

We are all so lucky.

+1  Big grin

spoonerweb

Surprised

...hoping there isn't a lot of traffic where you run?

Not too much at 4:30am. Besides, it only takes a second to look at a flash card and then spend the next 10 min trying to memorize it. It isn't like I am reading a book.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Try to avoid rhinos.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Snowdenrun

I'm a volunteer firefighter so when I'm running the roads/streets point out all the fire hydrants out of habit. I also pay attention to all the street names and make a metal map.

When I'm trail running I plan my steps out in advance. Mainly I try not to trip over anything.

EDIT oops..mental map Smile

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I'm a volunteer firefighter so when I'm running the roads/streets point out all the fire hydrants out of habit. I also pay attention to all the street names and make a metal map.

A metal map...so it doesn't burn up in the fires!  Genius!  Wink

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Sir Bird

I am pretty much like Butter Tart, I let my mind wonder. At the end of some runs, I know that I have run my intended route but don't really remember running it.

This.

In addition to  ButterTart's list, sometimes I just count my footfalls or my breaths, or think about what a cute puppy that is . .. just let my mind do whatever it wants.  No music no books - just me.  Now the treadmill  is a different matter - there I look the timer ("just one more minute") then  watch the tv and read the news as it scrolls along the bottom (I can't seem to remember to take headphones to the Y) then back to the timer ("really?  is that all?  ok just one more minute")

I let my mind go where it wants. This could include:

• observing nature and whatever else is around me.
                      • watching the sun rise.
                      • thinking through problems.
                      • planning meals or the day's activities.
                      • praying.
                      • worrying about getting re-injured.
                      • keeping an eye on my pace.
                      • planning where I would run to if I was attacked.
                      • thinking about the other runners I see (not so many others around these days -- it's too cold and dark when I run).
                      • thinking about work stuff.
                      • deciding on Christmas gifts.
                      robinde

Mostly just talk to myself.  I'm pretty good company.  Plus, I seem to be the only one willing to listen Smile

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

zonykel

I solve the world's problems. You're welcome!

Last week I tried watching a movie (Wall-E)  on my tablet on my treadmill (the tablet is not built in the treadmill by the way). I almost forgot the running and time passed quite fast.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)