My kid's first 5-K (Read 1018 times)

Congratulations!  That is a pretty good time.

I wanted my DD8 to do a 5K with me, but it has become apparent recently that that distance is just too far for her right now.  She'd be walking 70% of it.

So then I noticed they have a 1k kids run at the same event, and she wants to do it, but she wants me to run beside her.  So what is the etiquette?  Are parents allowed to do that in kid's mini races?  Or only in 5K's when you are both entered obviously.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

12-week layoff

The 1 mile fun run events here usually have parents running along.  Just don't try to beat the kids!

Cool Jump Suit

Just don't try to beat the kids!

Key word there:  "try".  I got youngstered at a 5k myself a little over a year ago.

So bittersweet,
        This tragedy
        Won't ask for absolution;
        This melody,
        Inside of me,
        Still searches for solution.
        A twist of faith,
        A change of heart
        Cures my infatuation.
        A broken heart, 
        Provides the spark
        For my determination.

Congratulations!  That is a pretty good time.

I wanted my DD8 to do a 5K with me, but it has become apparent recently that that distance is just too far for her right now.  She'd be walking 70% of it.

So then I noticed they have a 1k kids run at the same event, and she wants to do it, but she wants me to run beside her.  So what is the etiquette?  Are parents allowed to do that in kid's mini races?  Or only in 5K's when you are both entered obviously.

when my son was 8 he expressed interest in running a local 5K with me. I didn't want it to be a horrible experience for him so I told him that he needed to be able to complete a 4 mile run, non-stop, before I'd let him run the race.  It didn't matter how slow he went for the 4 miles, he just couldn't stop.  

So, we gradually worked up to it over the course of a couple months: 1, 1.5, 2... 3.. then finally the big day for the 4 mile run. Turned out to be a hot day, but he did it at about an 9:00 pace.  When race day came, I felt bad for him because it was even hotter and more humid than the day of our 4 miler.  He did well to finish the race given the heat & humidity, and when he was done said he wanted to do another one the next  weekend. The next weekend it was substantially cooler and he knocked about 3 minutes off his time. By the end of the summer he broke 23 minutes at a race in Park Forest, IL. Ironically in that race there was another 8 year old boy nearly 50 seconds ahead of him (also running with his dad), and there was an 8 year old girl about 30 seconds ahead of him.

Oddly, my son who's now 12 didn' t get much faster over the next couple years. I suppose that's my fault, but in a good way. I was worried about his tendency to turn every run into a "run faster than last time" effort. So, I told him to stop pushing himself so hard and just to enjoy running. From that point on he didn't run as much, and he'd nearly always take it very easy. Thus improvement stopped. But, I'd rather him him enjoy running for life than be one of those kids that stops after Middle School or HS. 

Best Present Ever

My experience was different than Tom's -- I tried some training runs with my daughter, but she was pretty miserable.  Since the first race she did has tons of walkers and she could be with friends who'd be run/walking, I let her do it anyway.  She finished with a lot of running (and she always has a VERY dramatic sprint to the finish) but a good amount of walking, too. She has 'run' each of the handful of races she's done since with no training, or maybe a couple of short training 'runs' in the weeks before.  I learned to take her to the track and let her run as much as she wants, so we don't find ourselves stranded and have a cranky walk back to the car.  She's taken walk breaks in every race, but runs far more than in her 'training runs' because of the crowds and the race energy. She's thrilled with herself and very pleased to call herself a runner.  I figure she might get more serious later, or might not, but at least I won't be responsible for the running equivalent of the Joan Crawford coathanger incident.

MTA:  I don't think there's anything wrong with kids training - I have friends who run with their young-ish kids.  Just offering the experience that it's not absolutely essential for a kid to train for a 5K, depending on the race and the kid. 

keeponrunning

when my son was 8 he expressed interest in running a local 5K with me. I didn't want it to be a horrible experience for him so I told him that he needed to be able to complete a 4 mile run, non-stop, before I'd let him run the race.  It didn't matter how slow he went for the 4 miles, he just couldn't stop.  

So, we gradually worked up to it over the course of a couple months: 1, 1.5, 2... 3.. then finally the big day for the 4 mile run. Turned out to be a hot day, but he did it at about an 9:00 pace.  When race day came, I felt bad for him because it was even hotter and more humid than the day of our 4 miler.  He did well to finish the race given the heat & humidity, and when he was done said he wanted to do another one the next  weekend. The next weekend it was substantially cooler and he knocked about 3 minutes off his time. By the end of the summer he broke 23 minutes at a race in Park Forest, IL. Ironically in that race there was another 8 year old boy nearly 50 seconds ahead of him (also running with his dad), and there was an 8 year old girl about 30 seconds ahead of him.

Oddly, my son who's now 12 didn' t get much faster over the next couple years. I suppose that's my fault, but in a good way. I was worried about his tendency to turn every run into a "run faster than last time" effort. So, I told him to stop pushing himself so hard and just to enjoy running. From that point on he didn't run as much, and he'd nearly always take it very easy. Thus improvement stopped. But, I'd rather him him enjoy running for life than be one of those kids that stops after Middle School or HS. 

23 min is still not bad for a 12-yo.  Interesting to see what he'll do in high school!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

12-week layoff

We had our first run since the 5-K today...and I had to drag her out the door.  Once on the road, it went great!  We've been very busy this week, and she plays softball too, so I am glad we made it out the door together.

Cool Jump Suit

We had our first run since the 5-K today...and I had to drag her out the door.  Once on the road, it went great!  We've been very busy this week, and she plays softball too, so I am glad we made it out the door together.

Way to go!!  I am glad she's back at it.  Hopefully the next time she will remember how much fun it is and not be too difficult to get out the door! 

So bittersweet,
                  This tragedy
                  Won't ask for absolution;
                  This melody,
                  Inside of me,
                  Still searches for solution.
                  A twist of faith,
                  A change of heart
                  Cures my infatuation.
                  A broken heart, 
                  Provides the spark
                  For my determination.

Treadmill Addict

That's really great, congrats to her! And good job being a good example to her as well. Smile

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.

23 min is still not bad for a 12-yo.  Interesting to see what he'll do in high school!

Not bad... although I'm impressed by some of the times we see at our local weekly 5k. For example here are the best times for under 14 boys:

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/cambridge/Results/AgeCategoryTable.aspx?ageCat=JM14.

But as people have said I think the thing is not to be too pushy... just let them run if they want to, trying to force it if they're not keen is unlikely to work.

12-week layoff

High school kids took first and third place male in the 5-K I ran with my kid, then turned around and took first and second in the 1-mile fun run.  I don't know their times, but they are both pretty swift.

I like to think I can take some credit, as I coached both of them, and totally got one of them into running.  His parents thank me every time they see me!