Distance in milage groups (Read 826 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Should the member list show weekly milage (as it does), total milage for the year (it does not) or both?
      I vote for both. But then again, I seem to be a trouble-maker in other threads, so maybe I should be quiet in this one and let Trent have his question answered so he can convince Eric to add to his ToDo list. Tongue
      Wingz

Professional Noob

I think it should stay as is. We've got far more important and/or interesting features on the list that Eric's not gotten a chance to work on yet... in spite of his spending most of December doing almost nothing BUT work on RA.

Roads were made for journeys...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I suspect that this would only require a trivial change. The groups are about yearly milage, not weekly milage Smile
          Wingz

Professional Noob

I disagree. The pace-bunny groups are about yearly milage. However, most of the other groups aren't about milage at all. Except for the Mile Posters group, which is about weekly milage. But for some of the groups, like the Jiggly Joggers, a quick glimpse at weekly milage is more appropriate than yearly. However, my real opinion is that there doesn't need to be a listing of milages next to member names at all... with the exception of the pace bunny groups, of course. Wink

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Right, but the pace bunny does not show everybody.
              Wingz

Professional Noob

Confused What do you mean?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pace bunny only shows the top 10 or so members in the group. Since I am taking the first couple weeks of this year light due to my big year last year, I don't show up AT ALL in the pace bunny listing for the 2k group.
                    I disagree. The pace-bunny groups are about yearly milage. However, most of the other groups aren't about milage at all. Except for the Mile Posters group, which is about weekly milage. But for some of the groups, like the Jiggly Joggers, a quick glimpse at weekly milage is more appropriate than yearly. However, my real opinion is that there doesn't need to be a listing of milages next to member names at all... with the exception of the pace bunny groups, of course. Wink
                    I disagree. Before moving to RA, I used a different running log (running-log.com), and originally thought that RA had all the features of the latter plus a lot more, and better designed.... I love RA, but I now think there is something left to be desired with RA's User group interface. With the other site you have the ability to bring up bar graphs of reports representing # of miles in particular time frames within the group.... 1. Daily mileage 2. Weekly mileage 3. Monthly mileage 4. Yearly mileage So if I want to go back and look at how many miles everyone in your group ran on 1/5/06 you can get a quick graph of highest to lowest mileage (with users omitted if they registered 0 miles). So if you want to look at a particular day, week or month in the past, you get a handy bar chart and see who's ahead and who's slacking. Now I know that the pace bunny groups and a lot of social groups are not about this kind of competition, but I was part of my college's group on the old running site, so I know that the purpose of HS and college groups are in a large part to keep track of what your teamates are running and using that as motivation for yourself. Sure if your groupmates' logs are public, you can thumb through them all and see, but I really think the nice bar graph comparison is a necessary feature that Eric might consider working on in the future for HS and College training groups. Incidentally, as the site grows in popularity, I predict a massive growth in the numbers of HS's and Colleges that use RA because of the many great features as mentioned in other threads. So you might not want this on a social group or a pace bunny group, but a comparison of miles among those in your group would be a huge boon for the college/HS running crowd. Perhaps it could be up to the group admin to decide if the graph comparison feature goes on. -Sean
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

perhaps this would best be addressed by allowing the group owner to specify for each group what features the group has. trent: to see members other than the leader board, you just have to click on "View Member Progress". Yes, it's an extra click. But it's there. All group members are listed alphabetically with their yearly miles. And the pace bunny show up on each sheet.