Chevron Houston Marathon (Read 597 times)

Anyone running it? I am. What's your goal?

My Goals:

Plan A - 3:30

Plan B - 3:15

This is my first marathon and I'm a little scared.

MonkeyBunny

Houston will be my 7 th marathon. I'm very excited and a little nervous

Plan A 4:45

Plan B 5:00

Plan C finish

any recommendations for post expo lunch, pre race pasta or post race blowout?

Houston Marathon 1-13-13

Rock n Roll St. Pete Half 2-10-13

Gasparilla 15K 2-23-13

Armadillo 10K 3-9-13

Ogden Marathon 5-18-13

Steamtown?

Baystate?

The Goal:  Boston Marathon 4-20-15

Right on Hereford...

Anyone running it? I am. What's your goal?

My Goals:

Plan A - 3:30

Plan B - 3:15

This is my first marathon and I'm a little scared.

So if plan A fails, you'll try for plan B?

Big grin

I ran Houston last year and it's definitely a PR course...well, especially for you. It's a fun race and pretty well organized.

If you think you're in 3:30 shape, just stay with the 3:30 pace group. If you get to 13.1 and feel like you could definitely run the 2nd half faster, feel free to pick it up from there.

Have fun and good luck!

bhearn

It didn't seem as flat to me as I'd expected -- lots of overpasses and underpasses. Also lots of concrete. Best part for me was running by Rice, with some members of the MOB (Marching Owl Band) playing by the side of the road. I was a member of the MOB there in the 80s.

I will be there. It will be my first marathon. I am running with my sisters. It will take us 5:20 or so.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

runninglurker

I'll be there, looking to break that ever popular 4 hour mark. Let the weather stalking commence.

over-educated and under-loved

I'll be there, looking to break that ever popular 4 hour mark. Let the weather stalking commence.

Right now, it looks like it is going to be cold and wet.

runninglurker

As long as it's not hot, I'm good. I did the White Rock Dallas Marathon in rain and 40 degrees in 2011, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Not too keen on the 15 MPH winds, but what can you do, right?

over-educated and under-loved

Kalsarikännit

Well, if it doesn't go well at the Chevron Houston Marathon, you could always run the Bank of America Chicago Marathon, ING New York City Marathon, Amica Insurance Seattle Marathon, Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon, or the Virgin London Marathon. Of course, if it goes well, you could find yourself at the John Hancock Boston Marathon.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

Heh.  The inclusion of Seattle on that list made me literally LOL. (I did not "spit coffee on my keyboard" though)

Heh.  The inclusion of Seattle on that list made me literally LOL. (I did not "spit coffee on my keyboard" though)

is seattle not as "big time" as those others?

- serious question-- as I am clueless about alot of this stuff.

Tomas

DoppleBock

THe 2nd time I ran it - I thought the same thing - 1st 3 miles were much more turns than I remember.  But there is a lot of flat too, just less than I had remembered from the 1st time.  I might had something to do with the fact I was in much better shape the 1st time.

It didn't seem as flat to me as I'd expected -- lots of overpasses and underpasses. Also lots of concrete. Best part for me was running by Rice, with some members of the MOB (Marching Owl Band) playing by the side of the road. I was a member of the MOB there in the 80s.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

its supposed to we a lil cool and wet this year. 70% chance of rain

Tomas

HermosaBoy

THe 2nd time I ran it - I thought the same thing - 1st 3 miles were much more turns than I remember.  But there is a lot of flat too, just less than I had remembered from the 1st time.  I might had something to do with the fact I was in much better shape the 1st time.

I don't know if I was in better shape the first time, but I would agree that the it didn't seem as flat AND the concrete was a lot more wearing on my legs...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

TxDiverMom

Knowing Houston weather (lived there 20 years), even 70% chance of rain could mean cloudy and on and off rain.  Considering that the rain chance currently for Monday is 40% and colder, I'm thinking it's possible that the major rain won't arrive till afternoon.  Looks like a front coming through.  All will depend on when it arrives...the rainiest will be when the front first hits.  Your choices will probably be warm and humid or cool and wet.

(Disclaimer...I'm not a met, but hey, my guesses are probably as good as theirs!)