Sync FROM RunningAhead TO Garmin Connect (Read 171 times)

As a Linux user, there is no reasonable way to upload run data to Garmin Connect any more (especially since Garmin Express came into being).  So, while I realize I can setup sync _from_ Garmin to RA, that doesn't help if I can't get the data to Garmin.

However, I am able to upload run data to RA just fine.  So, it would be wonderful if it were possible to sync from RA _to_ Garmin, which would then auto-update MyFitnessPal, and so on.  I have no idea how difficult such a prospect would be, or if it would cost in terms of licensing from Garmin; but, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks very much.

-- Mike

-- Mike

runmichigan

It is very unlikely that there will ever be a direct sync from RA to Garmin Connect.

Garmin wants all the data going to Garmin Connect via Garmin Express.  They want their cloud to be the go to location for all Garmin data.  They created the API to allow data to go from their cloud to the clouds of other key partners.  They then relented and offered the API to others as long as they paid $5000 and agree to a very one sided license agreement.  Eric (RA owner/operator) spent some significant time and effort using the API to allow us to get our data from Garmin Connect into RA.  From everything that I have read and seen, the API is one way (Garmin to others) and Garmin has no interest in being able to accept data from other sources.

I imagined that would likely be the case.  Oh well.  Thank you  very much for the detailed reply.

-- Mike

eric :)

This is not quite true.  I know that such an API exists.  Whether Garmin is willing to grant me access is a different story.  I will contact Garmin to see if they're in a good mood.

This is not quite true.  I know that such an API exists.  Whether Garmin is willing to grant me access is a different story.  I will contact Garmin to see if they're in a good mood.

<Roaring Crowd noise>Eric! Eric! Eric!  Smile

Thanks very much for looking into it.  My guess is that the API will involve license fees and/or developer agreements; so, it's no important enough to lose a lot of sleep over.  But I appreciate your looking into it.

-- Mike

wyerock

How do you get your workouts off your watch currently?  It might be easier to figure out a way to get your run data to Garmin first, then let RA pick it up from there instead of trying to go the other way around.

Garmin's Connect website has a drag and drop upload option.  Click "+" in top right, then "Upload Your Activities", then "Manual Upload". I'm not sure how that works on Linux, but normally you could drag and drop the files from a USB watch on there, bypassing Garmin Express.

Another option is something like https://tapiriik.com if you can get your data to one of the other services (including Dropbox).

Garmin's Connect website has a drag and drop upload option.  Click "+" in top right, then "Upload Your Activities", then "Manual Upload".

wyerock, thanks for pointing that out.  Once Garmin went to using Garmin Express, using a Linux-based browser led to wonderful messages about "your platform is not supported" or similar with any of the upload options.  I'd completely lost track of the Manual options in the web-interface.  But, now I know where that option is at thanks to your pointing, uploading to Connect should use the same process I've always used to upload to RA.

As Bela Lugosi might say, "How fortunate, this will simplify everything!"

Thanks again for reminding me of the obvious.

-- Mike