Drafting (Read 590 times)

A buddy and I were running on Friday and we got to talking about drafting. What do you think about drafting during a race? Fair or unfair? Is there a difference in darfting in a 5K, 10K vs a half marathon or full marathon? Thoughts?
    http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
      I was running the RNR half in Va Beach this last Sept and a gentleman I didn't know was drafting behind me. I knew he was there and it really didn't bother me until he actually got so close he kicked the bottom of my foot when I was toeing off. He apologized and backed off but I was pretty upset because I was on pace for a PR and he could have ruined it for me if I had went down. I don't think it is a question of fairness but of safety. That guy did not know me and I'm sure he thought I did not know that he was behind me until he kicked me. We were also not running to win the race or even place in an age group. I think if someone drafts they better be careful because they cause some serious damage if they cause an accident. I have no problems with running in a "pack" as long as everyone is aware of the pace and pays attention to the person ahead of them but I don't agree with drafting off someone just to make a mile in a head wind easier.
      "Human beings are made up of flesh and blood, and a miracle fiber called courage" -George Patton"\

It's a race tactic. As reirunner said, you got to be careful not to kick the person ahead of (or behind) you. Especially in a cross country or track race when you have spikes on. An annoying but effective way to beat somebody is known as "use and abuse" - the idea is that you draft off of them and let them break the air in front of you, and then at the end of the race you come around them and out kick them. Even when there is no wind, you have to push the air out of the way so it is usually easier to run behind somebody than next to them. There is also a psychological benefit of not having to set the pace. Another method is to work together as a team or as courteous runners. When I ran the Marine Corps Marathon this past Autumn, there was a good group of us in the mid/late miles that took turns breaking the wind for one another which made the race a lot easier. Each person would jump ahead for a couple of minutes while the rest of us tucked in behind. Then somebody else would take a turn. That's a great way to work together.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

VictorN

Definitely a fair tactic in my opinion. If you don't want somebody drafting off you, then take steps to prevent it. But if you do draft, you must make sure you don't make contact with the person in front of you. Victor
            I've never had to or felt the need to draft in a 5k but half and full marathons, yes. In a 10 miler I ran I was just behind the lead female for the most part of the race on a windy day and when I would pull up along side her to let her slip behind me, she wouldn't. I think she felt like she was giving in to me or something but she made a mistake. She fell apart with about 1.5 miles to go. I think if you can share the duty of drafting, just like biking, then it's ok. With a mile or so to go, you're on your own!
              I think I didn't like the fact that the guy was trying to sneak a draft. He never out kicked me or finished faster than I did. Back it up for a faster finish time or offer to share the effort.
              "Human beings are made up of flesh and blood, and a miracle fiber called courage" -George Patton"\
                last year ran the 1/2 in Vegas, and it was extremely windy and cold. a few of us men ended up behind a lead woman a few miles from the end. we all tucked in behind her for about 2 miles -- nobody took the lead from her for that long!! finally, the guilt got to me (especially since i was drafting behind all of them) and i ran to the front -- none of them came with me, though. hey, it's a race -- every man for himself, er, uh, or woman, that is!
                Mr R

In windy conditions, drafting helps. In calm conditions, there is little physical advantage, unless you are moving at competitive, middle distance speeds (significantly under 5 minute pace). The main advantage of drafting in a 10k is psychological. If you can sit on somebody, then you don't have to think about your pace, you can just watch their shoulder. Seems weird to people who've never raced, but it's amazing how little energy you have to spare on thought when you're at the limits.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker