Running in the Rain (Read 826 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Since I didn't get out yesterday to run (damn time constraints), I'm going out today. It's been rainy on and off. Just light rain, about 10*C (50*F) and the getting wet part doesn't bother me. I'm wondering about my shoes. My shoes aren't very old and I don't have a older pair I can run in. From older threads, I've read the tips to air dry after with the insoles out and wipe off any mud. Any other tips?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Stuffing old newspaper inside the shoes can help speed the drying. Other than that, don't worry about it too much, and enjoy your run!

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Rain won't hurt them at all, the only time mine get washed is when I run in the rain. When you finish just stuff them with newspaper and they'll be dry in a few hours (no need to rip out the insoles). Tom
          Hi Meg I've run in all kinds of rain and snow. The only thing I do is not wear my electronics. (I have an Nike + ipod kit) That said, I got caught in the rain last weekend with my equipment. It was fine. I just try to avoid puddles and let my shoes dry out, that's all. I also wear custom orthotics and do nothing special for them. Go have fun running in the rain - it's a blast! Cool Ruth

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

A Saucy Wench

I run in Oregon. I think that qualifies me as a rain expert Wink Unless it is a torrential downpour or I hit a big puddle I just kick off my shoes in the corner just like every other day and they are always dry by my next run. They dont get that wet. Make sure you arent wearing cotton socks though. And I always wear my Garmin. If I hit a big puddle (if I am squishing when I get home) I might actually go to the effort of loosening the laces and making sure they are in a place with decent airflow (as opposed to buried under the laundry pile) The only time I have bothered with newspapers was when I ran on the coast last week and ran through the inlets and the shoes needed to be HOSED off. I love rain running.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I love running in the rain or snow once I'm IN it, but it's just getting myself out the door that's hard. You'd think I'd learn!
              CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

So glad I went. I had a great run! Big grin

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good for you, Meg!
                  runnerclay

Consistently Slow

When you gotto go. You gotto go. Great job. I have heard runners are crazy but I do not see the problem. Smile

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

When you gotto go. You gotto go. Great job. I have heard runners are crazy but I do not see the problem. Smile
                      Neither do I. Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I ran in the rain yesterday and it was fantastic. Who'd of thought that I would be running in the rain, May 24th in Los Angeles? I actually turned of my ipod and listened to the rhythm of the rain hitting the pavement. Great run. Bob
                          I was SO excited to get my first rain run in yesterday. Driving to the park it was actually pouring! Would you believe I didn't get a drop of rain the entire run? It stopped raining just as we parked. Guess I will have to wait to get a rain run in another time! digitalguy: I thought I recognized your avatar photo...is that from the CSUN run? I did the 5K that day. I'm jealous you made it during the rain yesterday. Can't believe I missed it!
                            Rain running's the best! I noticed the other day the sky was BLACK, so I knew the downpoor was iminent. I waited around for a bit then went out. It was crazy! About halfway through my 4.5 miles, it was coming down very hard and there was significant flash flooding. After about 3 miles, there were literally streams flowing down the streets. When my feet hit the ground the water would flow up to my lower calf. It was definately refreshing for my feet! It was so much fun, I turned the run into my weekly long run and went 7.5 miles in that awesome weather. I loved every second. Well, maybe not the part when I got blasted by a few cars thinking it was fun hauling a$$... Angry Anyways, back on topic: I got home, took my shoes off and drained them out. Then my wonderful wife came outside with a hot towel straight out of the dryer!! What a great woman Wink. I then took out the insoles and stuffed the shoes with newspaper. I changed that out the next morning, then again a few hours later. Dry as a bone that night. Have fun!!!

~Mike

I was SO excited to get my first rain run in yesterday. Driving to the park it was actually pouring! Would you believe I didn't get a drop of rain the entire run? It stopped raining just as we parked. Guess I will have to wait to get a rain run in another time! digitalguy: I thought I recognized your avatar photo...is that from the CSUN run? I did the 5K that day. I'm jealous you made it during the rain yesterday. Can't believe I missed it!
                              Yep CSUN 10K...my first 10K, it was too hot that day. Bob