how to treat shin pain (Read 600 times)

She-Rah

Greetings! I am wondering if anyone knows what is the best treatment - in addition to rest - for shin pain. I do not know that I have shin splints per se. What I do know is that I can trail run (up to 14 miles this season so far) on rocky and steep terrain with no issue. When I try to run on flats these days (road OR dirt road OR trail) my shins start hurting within about 10 minutes. I have tried The Stick but wonder if it might be the culprit. I have also tried contrast baths (hot/cold for about 2 minutes each for about 30-40 minutes total). Today I almost DNFed (did not finish) a 10-mile trail race because my shins hurt so bad I had to stop. A mature runner said the logical thing to do would be to stop. I am planning to a 25-mile this year and didn't want to screw up so I did something I've never done before in a race. I started walking back to the starting line. Just then I saw a familiar and friendly face. A woman who is building back up from surgery. I decided a slow race was better than a DNF. Within about 10 minutes of walking and light jogging with her I felt good to go again. The course turned from dirt road to rocky trail (elev. gain/loss about 2500 feet) and I went for it. I passed more than 30 people and finished within 6 minutes of my best time. I think it strange that I can pull it out on the downhill running with minimal discomfort but the flats are getting me. I should mention that earlier this season the flats were fine... so I'm guessing I overdid it somewhere along the way. But what to do? massage? The Stick? contrast baths? arnica? Help?
      I ice twice a day for 15 minutes each time. I am prone to shin splints.
      Tony Evans

I found that adding specific stretching for the shins curred most of my shin splints (i was suffering after rather than during). Runners world article. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--11637-0,00.html try the shin stretch here. http://www.spinalhealth.net/stretching.html
        db7

ice, ice, ice DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Along for the Ride

I just started with sportsmassage. Had shinsplints a month ago and now peroneus brevis tendon issues. Deep tissue massage x1 loosened some major knots in my calves and shins!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Another thing might be your shoes. If you have a reputable running store anywhere close to you, I would go in and speak with them. We have a couple here in Central Ohio that do a great job looking at your walking/running mechanics and fitting you with a shoe appropriate to your feet. If you have pain already, I agree. ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE. Ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory and wouldn't hurt either. Alternate workouts. Pool workouts are another nice way to get into shape/stay into shape when trying to work through injuries. Best of luck with everything!!!
              "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW... WHAT A RIDE!!!" Muskingum College XC
              db7

She Rah I also had this trouble a while back. Ice is very important but i found out that I am an overpronator. (Admission is the first step to recovery) This can cause stress on the muscles and tendons in your knees and lower legs and cause shin splints. I went with a higher end orthotic after much research and have been very pleased. No more shin splints. This opens up for debate another thread that has been on this site before. Some people are not thrilled with their orthotics. Worked for me so I am a beliver. They were custom fit and from a trustworthy ski boot fitter who also does orthotics. My advice. Do some research. Go to a running store and get an evaluation of how you foot plant and what your feet are doing through your stride. Any good shop should use video on a treadmill. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ