general bit of advice needed (Read 608 times)

runninggary

Hi all , New register here.

Since about February I have been running a bit more seriously than I have been due to rising car costs. I gave up the car and started running the 3 mile to work every day, eventually building up to the 3 miles back within the last month. I have probably lost about 20lb since feb. I am 6ft 4 and now about 275lbs. Cardio-vascular  wise i'm fine I could probably run double the distance the biggest problem I have is with my legs aching, I know its a lot of impact on my legs given the distance plus weight. I just wondered if there was anyway in making this easier?

Im trying to up my protein intake to take into account muscle ache but was reading too much is bad for you, i mean my legs are ok but would prefer it if they didnt ache so much. Is it just a case of waiting for my body to get used to the distance? oh today I probably had about 80-100g of protein already ands its nearly 2pm.

Also will my times get better? I cant seem to beat 30 mins per run without pushing myself too far. My main concern if I push too hard that I have the rest of the week to run in as well so its more of like being average to last the distance if you get what I mean. A man ran past me the other day probably 50% faster than me and i thought i wish but then I thought I am probably doing more running than he is so felt a bit better.

Is it a case of waiting to get used to the distances before pushing on faster with times?

Ideally it is for weight loss,first few weeks I was losing 3,4 or 5lb but last week was 1lb loss even though i'm doubling my distance compared to back then. I suppose at least 1lb is something

Purdey

Self anointed title

Your legs will get used to it - in the meantime make sure you are taking short strides. Weight loss is not a linear progression - a pound a week is great.

Feeling the growl again

Your weight loss progression sounds reasonable.

Faster pace will come.  Log the miles and trust this, it's not about tomorrow or next week...and maybe not next month.  But one day YOU will be the one doing the passing, if you are patient and consistent.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

runninggary

cheers for the advice guys, Am i ok with that level of protein intake?  i must add that I have my work stuff in a rucksack too there and back. So having that slows me down a little too

Feeling the growl again

I have never tracked protein so I can't offer anything for you there.  For running, a well-balanced diet will suffice.  Only if you are trying to add pounds (kilos?) of muscle should you really worry about protein intake.

Running with a ruck is not a great idea.  You are putting a lot of extra pounding on your joints and since that load is not carried the same as body weight it amplifies the bad effects.  If there's significant weight in it that is.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Also will my times get better? I cant seem to beat 30 mins per run without pushing myself too far. My main concern if I push too hard that I have the rest of the week to run in as well so its more of like being average to last the distance if you get what I mean.

Racing your workouts isn't the best strategy.  As spaniel said, take the long view -- you're putting the time/miles in, and you're going to improve.  What you're doing, and your progress to date, are impressive.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

runninggary

no significant weight really,just clothes i leave boots at work and lunch stuff and buy water at work.

I was worried about protein as i was reading about how it helps muscle repair after a run and was looking at powdered products to help recovery but thought well i will just increase the uptake of protein

A man ran past me the other day probably 50% faster than me and i thought i wish but then I thought I am probably doing more running than he is so felt a bit better.

A couple of years ago, I remember reading about an interview of an elite marathoner (maybe Ryan Hall), and the interviewer asked how he was able to run a marathon in 2:10 or whatever it was and train at such a high intensity.  The elite marathoner's response to the amateur athlete interviewer was "how do you run for 4 hours straight?" 

Interestingly, he was impressed that us normal guys without elite skills are able to run for so long.

With that being said, recognize that running is a lifestyle, and not a race.  It can only bring you down if you compare yourself to others.  Whether you run a 12min mile, a 10min mile, an 8min mile, or whatever.  Just do it!

Regarding the pain, slow down, and lower your heart rate.  By doing so, you'll have less muscle and joint pain while also putting your HR in a zone that burns more fat.  By reducing your weight, that'll help your pain.

Cheers,
                  Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

runninggary

cheers clive , its not really a big goal I was just wondering if times would improve over a length of time. My main concern is getting to work on time ha but ideally in an infinite time view i would like to have 5 mins off each way but id rather keep myself from strain if it means I can run all week. i would be really beat up about it if i couldnt run one night or something ,Im quite ocd about it.

I take the weekends off though to recover for the week ahead. Is that a good idea?

Feeling the growl again

cheers clive , its not really a big goal I was just wondering if times would improve over a length of time. My main concern is getting to work on time ha but ideally in an infinite time view i would like to have 5 mins off each way but id rather keep myself from strain if it means I can run all week. i would be really beat up about it if i couldnt run one night or something ,Im quite ocd about it.

I take the weekends off though to recover for the week ahead. Is that a good idea?

Given your early stage of development, a day or two off per week is not a bad idea.  But if you NEED those days off to recover, it's a sign that you are running too hard.

I once did the math to make the point.  Back in the good old days, I used to run 100-120 miles per week, week in and week out for months on end.  The result of this, speed-wise, is in my signature line.  So did I get fast by pushing hard a lot?  NO.....I got fast but going fast when I was supposed to and going slow when I was supposed to.  During a typical 100 mile week I'd have 4 miles worth of fast intervals on Tuesday, say 8-10 miles of fast tempo on Thursday, and 6-10 miles hard during my long run on Sunday.  So I ran 18-24% of my total mileage above easy pace!  18-24% below 5:40 pace, all the rest of it 6:30-7:30 pace.  If anything, I would have been able to keep this up longer if I'd slowed down my easy runs 10-15sec/mile on average from 6:30-6:40 to 6:50-7:00.

The point of this is that if a serious, highly trained runner is doing less than a quarter of total mileage above easy pace and getting faster, why should you be doing way more than that and expect to be able to recover?  Getting faster is about stimulating your body and allowing it to adapt, becoming faster.  If you are not recovering then your body is not getting the ability to adapt -- you are just breaking yourself down more than anything.  This is why I say be patient, keep it at an easy effort, and it will come.  Maybe push one day but if you're just trying to hit your best time every day you are working against yourself.

And if you do push one day, I'd recommend it be Friday evening's work to home run, with a nice cold beer waiting at the end...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                        runninggary

yeah i dont need them to recover i just choose too. My way of thinking for that is, well its certainly more than I was doing sat in a car all week so two days off wont be so bad.

I think now after reading this i may try a run on the weekend and see how far i end up. I don't want to say i'll do 5 mile and back down on 3. I would like to push to see how far  i can run at the minute , as i said cardio vascular wise i'm fine.

Although to the finer point the weight is coming off as it is and to me at the moment thats better than speed/distance.........for now lol and knowing it will get easier is a big weight off my mind too.

BeeRunB

Congrats on starting out. If you are going to run everyday like that, I suggest that you become a student of running. Research the following:

--aerobic fibers, running and training

--anaerobic fibers, running and training (speedwork)

--training for endurance

--running easy and aerobically and the benefits

--how often to run anaerobically

--over-training

--tempo runs

--lactate threshold

--long runs

--the importance of rest and recovery

--Arthur Lydiard, Jack Daniels, Pete Pfitzinger, Jeff Galloway, Hal Higdon, Phil Maffetone

--heart rate training

--hard/easy days

You can get a education if you hang out at RA long enough. Lots of real good runners here who train smartly and who manage not to flame out from OT and constant injury. I suggest you get ahead of the curve and start Googling.

Good luck! Cool

runninggary

cheers jimmy b, will have to have a nose through