Running Faster (Read 385 times)

rrr0005

HEY EVERYONE!

I am not new to running and I am pretty slow......I'm glad I am at least out there, but I want to get faster. Any advice to build my speed would be greatly appreciated.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

What is your running background, and how do you train?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

an amazing likeness

Run more.

Run downhill.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

pedaling fool

Run more.

Run downhill.

I'm not the most experienced runner here, by far; however, I would also need to know your running history. Basically, in the beginning you do want to build up the body to running by simply just running and then slowly build in speed, by various techniques, such as concentrating on running cadence, doing strides, tempo runs, farkleks and eventually speed work.

However, the thing about running downhills (quoted above) I find interesting. I think there's something to it, it can teach you (at least in my experience) how to run fast. When I first ran down a hill (a few years ago) I thought it sucked, because it was so jarring to the body, but as I worked on it I found that the jarring was not from running downhill, rather from my faulty technique. The jarring came from me leaning too far back and not letting my legs just flow, it's also very important to not let your feet land ahead of you.

Another thing about running down hill is that your heart rate really sky rockets, despite that you're not really propelling yourself forward, like when you're running up hill. You really need a very good cardio base before you run downhill, even though all you're basically doing is relaxing and allowing your body to flow -- that's strange to me.

Maybe some of the more experienced runners can elaborate on that, but there is something to running downhill that helps me develop good form, probably more helpful than doing simple strides.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

One of the best techniques is to (try to) not get injured, but the proper way to achieve that depends on what your background is and how you have been training, and how long.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

This is an interesting thread, because I've always been taught that running uphill makes you stronger, improves running economy, and over time can improve your form, whereas running downhill can only increase your chance of injury. Interesting...

Prairie running is peace.

an amazing likeness

umm...my "run downhill" statement was very, very tongue-in-cheek. IE it was not serious.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

NHLA

Do speedwork once a week. Run repeats of 400 yds to one mile. Run as fast as you can and still keep repeats the same speed.

Only run total of three miles.

pedaling fool

umm...my "run downhill" statement was very, very tongue-in-cheek. IE it was not serious.

Ha, ha, that's funny...I see it now.

However, my comments were not a TiC and it just happens that these things I've noticed about running down hill (and wrote about above) happened last week when I was doing back-to-back hill running.

The Running Stan

Slowly build up your miles with consisitent easy runs at a conversational pace to develop your aerobic base. It's all about how efficient you take in oxygen and use it in your running muscles. You do that by running lots and lots of miles within your aerobic capability (conversational pace). If you don't develop that first then all the speedwork, tempos, fartleks, strides, and what not will plateau very quickly. Build the base slowly and consistently and you will naturally get faster from just doing that alone. Once you build your base, then you can work on the other stuff.

Feeling the growl again

HEY EVERYONE!

I am not new to running and I am pretty slow......I'm glad I am at least out there, but I want to get faster. Any advice to build my speed would be greatly appreciated.

Not enough information and no open log.

In general, for newer runners:

1)  Run more.  The most likely reason you can't run faster is that you don't have the aerobic conditioning.  This is dependent on volume of miles, not speed.  Most newer runners go to speed workouts too quickly.

2)  Lose weight.  This applies to many people.  Myself included.

3)  High end aerobic work.  Once you are in shape, 1-2 up-tempo runs per week.  Intervals are not necessary, tempos and fast finish runs are great.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

CT JEFF

hey spaniel, I was doing great a year ago, but schedules changed and so did my miles. getting back into it now, thanks for the advice. its all the stuff that made me much faster than I am right now.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

rrr0005

Thanks everyone! I have been running for a few months. I can go about 4 miles before I putter out, but I am running at a 13:30 min/mile pace. After reading through your suggestions, I think I will build my running capacity and have a good foundation before building speed.

rrr0005

Not enough information and no open log.

In general, for newer runners:

1)  Run more.  The most likely reason you can't run faster is that you don't have the aerobic conditioning.  This is dependent on volume of miles, not speed.  Most newer runners go to speed workouts too quickly.

2)  Lose weight.  This applies to many people.  Myself included.

3)  High end aerobic work.  Once you are in shape, 1-2 up-tempo runs per week.  Intervals are not necessary, tempos and fast finish runs are great.

This is great stuff! I am carrying an extra 65 pounds.......I'm working on it. I know that I provide few details, but I am new to running and have few details to give. I like the idea of just running more miles and dropping the extra poundage for building a good foundation. I will worry about speed later down the road.

Mostly harmless

This is great stuff! I am carrying an extra 65 pounds.......I'm working on it. I know that I provide few details, but I am new to running and have few details to give. I like the idea of just running more miles and dropping the extra poundage for building a good foundation. I will worry about speed later down the road.

This is great in theory if you have the discipline to stick to it.  It seems like most people start pushing the pace too soon, even if they know better.  If the temptation to do that gets too strong, try to limit yourself to one "fast" run per week.  Good luck and have fun!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi