Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I try to start a serious conversation and then Piwi comes in with his usual and ruins it 

Anyway, have you guys seen this guy who often leads the sub 90 group on Strava, Daniel Trusca. He runs around 120 MPW. But he runs every run on a TRACK.

EVERY. SINGLE. RUN. I can’t even fathom running 120 miles in a week, but he runs that much on a track? Are you kidding me?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac, Mark and Mick were the instigators, I just take it that inappropriate step further 

Last time i checked that Strava leaderboard which was a few months ago, there were a few Russian guys with over 200km weeks. I think Flavio was trying to ask them if they were cycling some of it ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Strava: last time I checked there was a crazy Russian at 96k and the runner up for this week being Keen Smile trusca lives in Romania. Not very runable country. Hence track probably the best and safest option. The leader has 1k kudos each day...crazy Russians Smile If you look at the pictures these folks dont look very thin they look like normal people. I would have expected people close to the Rich Roll Ultra zero body fat...

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

There definitely was one guy cycling part of it, but this guy on the track is legit, he actually runs 120+ on a TRACK.

and Mick good observation. You're right, they look normal. I guess they're just like us: they enjoy their cookies 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I try to start a serious conversation and then Piwi comes in with his usual and ruins it 

Anyway, have you guys seen this guy who often leads the sub 90 group on Strava, Daniel Trusca. He runs around 120 MPW. But he runs every run on a TRACK.

EVERY. SINGLE. RUN. I can’t even fathom running 120 miles in a week, but he runs that much on a track? Are you kidding me?

You ruined the troll train haha.

Yeah there was this dude running silly distances like 400km a week, yeah right!

I know there are outliers that can run forever like Yiannis Kouros, but they're far and between, and it's unlikely that they're in the sub 1:30 half marathon group, most likely they're in the sub 24 hour 100 mile group.

As for the Romanian guy, maybe he's trying to dodge the cars on streets and the motorcycles and scooters on the sidewalks Big grin

Jokes aside, it's a pity he's not on this group, I'm sure he's a great dude and we could meet some day in a bar in Bucharest to sing together Dragostea din tei after a few beers.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marky_Mark_17

I enjoy the track a lot but no.  Just, no.  The only thing that could possibly be worse would be 120 MPW exclusively on a treadmill.

Incidentally, does he always run in the same direction?  He's seriously setting himself up for injury if he's only turning one way!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

A bit quiet on here lately!

My week was pretty reasonable. No long run Sunday but got some good workouts in, particularly Saturday's run which was moderate effort and hilly all the way.  Devonport Half Marathon coming up next weekend, although it will be a 90-95% effort rather than all-out, since NZ Road Relays are the following weekend.

M: weights

T: 12km incl. hill reps

W: 15km easy

T: 16km incl. short fast efforts

F: weights

S: 17km moderate

S: 16km incl. short fast efforts

Total: 76.1km

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark good work as usual. I saw your friend Katherine did well with 2nd in our marathon. I got some photos including her as they came past my place 7kms in. They had a nice 15 knot southeast tailwind for the 1st 17kms. Overall i would say its a tough marathon with a lap round the mount and lots of boardwalk and gravel path bits. The winner was 2.37 Nick Berry a big guy over 6ft with massive shoulders. Hes a surf life saving guy said he stepped up his running to 80kms per week recently for the marathon. Obviously very talented.

48km for me this week mostly through the sandunes which makes it alot tougher. Also quite hilly although my watch doesnt pick up any elevation on these runs. I have been surfing alot this week in big surf so lots of paddling. My upper body is strengthening up now so feeling like i have a good balance of running and upper body fitness.

I managed 6 runs in an effort to recover did them all easy and up to 7 miles max for a total of 52km (more than Piwi Smile).

Reintroduced some strides but didnt feel like doing any quality. I have signed up for a half in 3 weeks time but it will be a shot at 100-105 minutes at best. I hope I will get some quality in next week.

Commander Keen is killing it, same as Jmac, Mark. Great running from all of you, very inspiring!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Hi guys, I've done roughly 54km last week with a hilly 10 miler today.

I've upped the functional training to 3x a week in hopes the increased strength will get me through uninjured which is my biggest hurdle.

I've noticed recently some extra strength in the upper back, specially under the scapula, which has been great to maintain form.

I'm seeing some great running, even jmac stopped complaining about the weather

Keen has been the king of mileage, lots of strength there.

Piwi leading that double agent life with the 2 ladies in his life: surfing and running

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio that extra strength in your back might just be that pouch where you keep spare donuts 

Mick my 48kms must convert to over 60kms due to soft sand  so I beat you.

Interesting article I found on one of the marathon finishers here on saturday

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/107308501/sports-authorities-powerless-to-prevent-banned-athletepoliceman-brendon-keenan-winning-agegroup-title-in-tauranga

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Had another quiet week with this on-going calf niggle...

Monday About 4km before calf pain came on strong.  Home to 50 mins stationary bike

Tuesday   Weights

Wednesday   50 mins stationary bike

Thursday       50 mins stationary bike

Friday            Weights

Saturday        50 mins stationary bike

Sunday          Weights

I'll probably do a couple more bike sessions before trying an easy return to running.  Still waiting on "The Stick" to arrive (refer a few pages ago, post from JMac).  I expect with the endorsement it has received that it will solve all calf issues...

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - yeah Katherine did well, she hadn't trained specifically for it as her last marathon was Gold Coast and she is targeting Queenstown in a couple of months.  Also Andrius Ramonas who was 2nd in the mens is one of my club-mates... it was his first road marathon in 5 years or so as he mostly runs trails/ultras/crazy stuff like that.  Nick Berry must be a pretty talented athlete!

A friend posted that article about Brendon Keenan on Facebook.  I get the distinction between public and private events but I would be furious if I saw him lining up on the start line.  Drug cheats have no place in sport.

MJ - nice work, what half have you signed up to do?

Steve - bummer on the calf but at least you have the stationary bike as an option to maintain fitness.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

MJ - Thanks! 6 runs in a week is great work, I’ve always found coming back from injury or building up that it’s better to do a bunch of shorter runs than try to cram in higher mileage on short days.

Mark - Good work as always. Why are you running the race this weekend?

Flavio - we’ve had some great fall weather so I don’t feel like death anymore. Trust me, if it was still hot, I’d still be complaining. Now I come home soaked from sweat from my runs, but without that feeling like I’ve stepped back to the 1300’s and contracted the Bubonic Plauge.

Steve - You have to be really good with rolling. I know you were half kidding on it working, but dont’ expect any miracles. I’m constantly rolling out my hamstring right now and it’s not like it feels great, but it’s keeping at bay and preventing it from a full blown hamstring injury. One piece of advice I can give you with rolling is to make sure you stop on any super painful spots and actually hold down pressure there for 15-30 seconds. The stick just tells you to always be rolling, but everything I’ve read and all the PTs I’ve spoken to have confirmed that you should be holding pressure on those super sore spots, not trying to “roll” them out like crazy. Rolling is good for general maintenance though and to warm up those spots before you give it the full pressure.

Me - Very good week given the weather broke as Flavio pointed out. Thursday’s workout was the best paces I’ve seen in a year, with my threshold pace a good 20-30 seconds faster than it has been all summer. I have another 4x2 mile threshold workout coming up this Wednesday so we’ll see if I can keep it around 5:55-6:00. The main reason I”m here (besides the banter of course) is my 10 mile race coming up this Sunday. I am very tempted to try to break 60 minutes, as that’s a huge barrier at the 10 mile distance and would give me a ton of confidence going into the marathon. I think if I was fully tapered and without these big runs (especially this 22 miler I just did today) in my legs, I’d feel confident I could do it, but I’m not sure this Sunday. I’ll probably go out in the 6:00-6:10 range and see where it goes from there. Weather forecast looks pretty good for this time of year, not amazing weather but nothing that should hamper me too much.

Weekly Summary
                              Monday, Sep 17, 2018 thru Sunday, Sep 23, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Description Link
                              Mon 5.9 8:09 Evening Run strava
                              Tue 9.8 7:46 Evening Run strava
                              Wed 9.8 7:53 Afternoon Run strava
                              Thu 16.2 6:59 2E + 8M (@6:25) + 2x2T (@5:53) + 2E strava
                              Fri 6.0 8:42 Morning Run strava
                              Sun 22.0 7:32 Afternoon Run strava
                                69.7 7:38

Marky_Mark_17

JMac- really impressive week.  And yeah I hear you on the foam rolling - you've got to do it regularly to make it worthwhile.  I'd average 5x/week and generally the only days I miss are if I run from home and get lazy and forget to do it afterwards - I always do it when I run from the gym.

I'm running Devonport because it's the first race in the Auckland Half Marathon Series and I've got a title to defend!  Missing a race is essentially fatal to your series chances because of the way scoring works.  Plus it's a fun course and the hills will be good practice for road relays (and the Auckland Half).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"