10 miles (Read 733 times)

I just need to get this off my chest. I did 10 miles today for the first time since my marathon and holy cow did the last three miles feel terrible! You can see in my log that I have worked back up to this and didn't just do it out of the blue. I'm so zonked right now Sleepy . I feel like I ran 20 instead of 10. It was just a lot harder than I expected but I'm sure my stressful week at work had a lot to do with it. Luckily work isn't always this bad. At mile 8 I think my brain just left because it had enough of running. It was the wierdest thing. I can also say that I took in one gel at mile 6 and drank Gatorade the whole time. I wonder if I "bonked" in a 10 mile run. How embarassing! Undecided Thanks TT
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
      I hate it when that happens. Feel proud of yourself for finishing. When a run goes bad, it seems like home is so far away. Great job for sticking it out!

- Anya

You may have "bonked", but not in a physical sense, you likely bonked psychologically. In other words you had a bad run. We all have them and there aren't always good explanations for them. You do seem to be training at very slow pace. Spending 2.5 hours on a ten mile run may just be getting old and making it difficult to stay interested. Most runners also tend have better form at a faster pace so you might find it easier on your legs. Try raising the pace of a few of your runs and see if it doesn't help. Tom
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ack, Terie...I think I know where your last 3 miles went--I think I got them. My first 7 were kind of meh, then I decided the roads ahead of me were clear enough to rip off the YakTrax and it made the last 3 miles utterly heavenly. Girl, you will get back to blissful runs, just give it time. You probably just had an off run...happens to us all. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

finney

Resident pinniped

I agree with Figbash. For someone doing longer distances, you probably have the ability to go faster. I find I sometimes tire a lot easier on my long runs from going too slow. At 15: xx min/mile you're probably doing a very fatiguing hop step and wasting gobs of energy, since most of your movement is verticle and you're almost exclusively using your calves. Even if you have to walk a bit, I'd try to pick it up.
              I think no matter how slow you ran you still deserve a big congratulations. I have yet to reach 10 miles and if I ever do, I think I would be so happy I might jsut throw myself a party. Good job!! I didnt look at your log yet, but if it did take your 2.5 hours to do it in, you deserve an even bigger CONGRATS!! I would probably drive myself to insanity if I had to endure running that long. Keep with it, get lots of rest for your body, and when you do it again be sure to post your new time - I'm sure it will be better every time you go
                ok i needed to re-post after viewing your log. I still give you big props for completing it, but my first thought was how much you might to be pushing yourself. I think jumping into that 10 miles run might have been a little too quick. i mean, i'm certainly no professional, but i would just be a little wary of doing too much too quick. the last thing you want is to start an injury
                  You may have "bonked", but not in a physical sense, you likely bonked psychologically. In other words you had a bad run. We all have them and there aren't always good explanations for them. You do seem to be training at very slow pace. Spending 2.5 hours on a ten mile run may just be getting old and making it difficult to stay interested. Most runners also tend have better form at a faster pace so you might find it easier on your legs. Try raising the pace of a few of your runs and see if it doesn't help. Tom
                  Tom I agree with you. I think I bonked psychologically. I'm running at these slower paces because right now I'm doing base building and along with that I'm doing low heart rate training. Before I started I was running about a 12-13 minute mile. So there is a reason for my insanity. I learned a hard lesson in my first marathon and did everything wrong so this time I am building a very strong and solid base before I begin training for my next one. I hope to run my next in 4:30-5:00 and I'm serious about it. The better base I have, the better shot I have at hitting my goal.
                  Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09