Harrassed by wildlife? (Read 659 times)

And the undead. Don't forget the undead.
    Those are the worst! Tongue
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
      Try passing too close to an owl's nest. I was running on trails at dusk and kept thinking I saw a shadow out of the corner of my eye. Sudden darkness over me and I thought she was going to take me to the nest! I can only imagine what would have happened had I been wearing a toupee.
        Blackbirds get me. I think maybe my bright yellow shirt sets them off. They buzz me for about 100 yards and then let me go. But it can wreck your low heart-rate run! Smile Next time... I'm stopping to grab some gravel. That blackbird is going to get a beak full.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Try passing too close to an owl's nest. I was running on trails at dusk and kept thinking I saw a shadow out of the corner of my eye. Sudden darkness over me and I thought she was going to take me to the nest! I can only imagine what would have happened had I been wearing a toupee.
          Amy, you know better than that. Owls don't attack runners; they are docile. You were running in middle TN, no doubt, and were likely attacked by a flying monkey. The mind cannot easily process the fantastical while under attack (or while running, as you do, at a high pace) and so it categorizes stimuli according to what it knows. It is very common, therefore, for runners to get attacked by monkeys and think them owls. They are not owls. They are monkeys. Winged monkeys. And they are angry. Be careful.
          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

The only wildlife that really get to me are the black flies. But I did have this guy stalk me down a trail on Mt Adams this week: Red Fox (I was hiking, not really running, otherwise I wouldn't have been carrying the big zoom lens).
            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.