Hamstring trouble (Read 73 times)

fitnessmom72

Hi I'm a fairly new runner, running over the last year and a half.  I have pain in the back of both of my hamstrings since Saturday.  There is no bruise noted.  Yesterday i did some light stretches and now they feel worse so apparently not a good idea.  I've been told I have tight hamstrings as last summer I ended up with pain in both my hamstrings then also but quit running because of other health issues going on.

So my question is how long do I lay low on this.  I read conflicting posts on whether I should be able to run some or not.  It goes a bit into my calf.  Appreciate any and all advice how to treat this.  I cannot stand not exercising at all.  I started wearing a compression brace around the house.  I live very remotely so not much assess to sports medicine or anything like that.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

A daily stretching routine would help with hamstring tightness. It might be worth visiting a good PT to check for muscle imbalance (eg, quads stronger/glutes weaker than the hamstrings) The PT would be able to advise you on suitable strength training exercises...and there are plenty without having to join a gym!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

GinnyinPA

I have on and off hamstring pain that has lasted for several years. Hills and speedwork can both make my hamstrings sore. The two times they got seriously painful was while pushing myself too hard, once in a race and once in a group run. Stretching before they hurt is good. After they hurt it isn't a good idea. Rolling and massage can help. I keep running when my hamstrings are painful as long as it isn't so bad that it affects the way I run. I do try to keep the pace easy and don't do a lot of hill running when the pain is bad. Stopping for  short breaks doesn't seem to help much.

Christirei

I would recommend lots of foam rolling and getting a lacrosse ball or softball to  really get into your knots. You might try some epsom salt  baths as well, they can really help with muscle aches

I'm a month behind on your original post, but . . .

I suffer from chronic high hamstring tendinopathy.  I highly recommend you visit a good sports PT to determine if that's the issue.  If it is, it's nothing you want to mess around with and want to get help and nip in the bud ASAP before it becomes chronic.  Causes include off-balanced pelvis, weak glutes/hips/core, etc.  Last year I ended up down for the count for 8 long months because I didn't get help soon enough.

If you are diagnosed with HHT, you will need to be very strict about exercises, etc., to keep it at bay.  It's not a fun condition.  Best of luck to you.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance