New to running/jogging/loafing: where to learn? (Read 475 times)

dontknowhow

Okay, so I never learned how to run properly in school, or even how to jog properly. So I want to learn how to do so as an adult, because I think it's a good life skill. Brief summary, I'm 31 years old, overweight(185cm, 165 lbs). I'm in a generally poor state of health, with no to little athletic activity. I'm interested in simply learning how to run properly. I was told a few years ago that I won't be able to start running right away, and that I'd first need to learn how to do something called loafing, followed by learning how to jog right. I've also often been told that physical skills are something that you can't learn from the internet, or from a book or whatnot, so I'd like to find a coach or other sufficiently knowledgeable individual to teach me how to loaf, jog, and finally run properly. I would prefer to avoid spending significant money on this, and I have heard that running barefoot is an option, which sounds good to me as it avoid wearing out shoes, and I've also always been taught that problems are never due to the equipment, but always due to me.

So, where can I find a good coach or other knowledgeable individual to help me out? I live in the SF bay area, and I'm willing to travel for lessons anywhere within it.

TJoseph

dontknowhow,

I am not sure where you heard you can't learn these skills from the Internet.  It is quite the opposite, the Internet is the best place to learn to run.  Runners run, they don't jog or loaf.  Your body will naturally become more efficient at running from high weekly mileage.  Many studies have shown this.  You should start off by running 70 miles per week (10 miles per day) and work your way up over 100 miles per week as quickly as you can by adding a long run (20+ miles) on the weekend and running twice a day (doubles) during the week.  I notice you are on the metric system in the SF Bay Area as you gave your height in centimeters. 70 miles is 112 kilometers and 10 miles is about 16 kilometers.  Running barefoot is a good idea.  It is not only cheaper than buying shoes, but will force you to become a toe striker instead of a heal striker.  Running on your toes is the perfect form.

You will have to modify your diet.  I recommend the "Running raw around Australia" diet. All the top runners have 3% or less body fat and that should be your goal.

On rising and before a short (15km) training run:  10oz pure spring water, 1 banana
      Breakfast and after short run:  Green smoothie (fruit, greens & water), 5+ bananas
      Lunch:   Either 20+ mandarines,10+ oranges, 1 melon, 1 pineapple, 5+ bananas and/or other fruits
      Dinner:  Either a large green salad with savoury fruits; tomato, cucumber, courgette, capsicum etc
                   or a large fruit smoothie, or 1 large fruit such as a melon, papaya, pineapple etc
      Snacks:  Any fruit or a freshly squeezed fruit or vegetable juice
      Before a long (15+km) training run: 20oz water, 10oz fruit smoothie, 2-5 bananas
      During a long (20+km) training run:  water, dates
      After a long (20+km) run:  Breakfast plus extra fruit especially bananas

You don't need a coach, however running in groups can be fun.  When I started running I bought the following:

http://ca.shop.runningroom.com/accessories/books/john-stanton-s-books/running-the-complete-guide-to-building-your-running-program.html

It has all the basics and training plans for various distances.  I ignored the run 10/walk 1 strategy, but to each their own.

It is a great place to start.  I have never had a coach nor paid to be a member of a running group.

Okay, so I never learned how to run properly in school, or even how to jog properly. So I want to learn how to do so as an adult, because I think it's a good life skill. Brief summary, I'm 31 years old, overweight(185cm, 165 lbs). I'm in a generally poor state of health, with no to little athletic activity. I'm interested in simply learning how to run properly. I was told a few years ago that I won't be able to start running right away, and that I'd first need to learn how to do something called loafing, followed by learning how to jog right. I've also often been told that physical skills are something that you can't learn from the internet, or from a book or whatnot, so I'd like to find a coach or other sufficiently knowledgeable individual to teach me how to loaf, jog, and finally run properly. I would prefer to avoid spending significant money on this, and I have heard that running barefoot is an option, which sounds good to me as it avoid wearing out shoes, and I've also always been taught that problems are never due to the equipment, but always due to me.

So, where can I find a good coach or other knowledgeable individual to help me out? I live in the SF bay area, and I'm willing to travel for lessons anywhere within it.

Two suggestions. The first one is practical: Invest in a personal trainer, and tell him/her what you want to do. Getting started doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

The second one is mental: You were a kid once, and ALL kids know how to run! So you're not learning how to do something new; you're rediscovering something that you can already do.

Oh -- and go get yourself a different user name. The one you have won't make sense for very long. Big grin

You should start off by running 70 miles per week (10 miles per day) and work your way up over 100 miles per week as quickly as you can by adding a long run (20+ miles) on the weekend and running twice a day (doubles) during the week.

WHATT!!!!!

Are you try to trying to scare him off?  10 miles a day for a newbie!!!!

pretty sure tjoseph was trolling. Maybe he thought he was responding in kind to the OP. Don't know. Could be a legit question.

Feeling the growl again

pretty sure tjoseph was trolling.

I hope so, otherwise it was the worst advice I have ever seen on here.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Kalsarikännit

So the consensus is that tjoseph is the troll?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Considering the OP is saying they have been told they need to learn to laze about first, the problem is always with them, and they are overweight at 6' and 165, I'm not sold either way.

So the consensus is that tjoseph is the troll?

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                    Emil Zatopek

L Train

xhristopher

WHATT!!!!!

Are you try to trying to scare him off? 

Morrows, I mean no offence but don't you think your avatar would scare him off first?

TJoseph has posted for a couple weeks (or more).

When I first started reading, I thought he quickly picked up that the original poster was a troll (metric from San Francisco, overweight while 6' tall and 165#, etc.).  I saw his post as a joke, ....

but then I got bored about the diet stuff and I quit reading the thread.

but ya, start at 70 miles per week?  Haha.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Troll meets troll?

Morrows, I mean no offence but don't you think your avatar would scare him off first?

You have a point there.....but you have to keep warm during the winter!

Wing

Joggaholic

TJoseph has posted for a couple weeks (or more).

When I first started reading, I thought he quickly picked up that the original poster was a troll (metric from San Francisco, overweight while 6' tall and 165#, etc.).  I saw his post as a joke, ....

but then I got bored about the diet stuff and I quit reading the thread.

but ya, start at 70 miles per week?  Haha.

Since I use metric a lot, I must be a troll! Big grin