The Booze and Waffle Thread, Long Live The Wild Wild West (Read 401 times)

Sorry, it's ALWAYS porter season

If I lived somewhere that regularly saw dew points and overnight low temperatures in the low 50s in July and August, I might agree. You must be able to get Deschutes Black Butte Porter up there though right?

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

rlopez

not stout enough

Julia1971

I carry 12 NA beers... sometimes I can get athletic brewing stuff, but not regularly. For it to appear in stores, they have to make enough and have a strong distribution set up. Many smaller breweries have a hard time with that. Restaurants and bars, at least local-to-them are easier when it comes to kegged stuff. I dunno whether they keg. 

I do not know Hairless Dog, but I hope they work chihuahua into their beer names.

Fun fact about NA beers is that some still have a small amount of alcohol in them. Depending on why a person is seeking the NA stuff, this either doesn't matter or it matters A LOT, and it always freaks people out when I bring it up.

Yeah, I'm sure everyone is competing hard for the shelf space.  Of the stuff that I could find at bars and restaurants, I thought Heinekin NA was the best.  Which was weird because I don't like regular Heinekin.

I'm going to guess it's an Akita on their can, which is not a hairless dog.  Harumph!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

rlopez

Yeah, I'm sure everyone is competing hard for the shelf space.  Of the stuff that I could find at bars and restaurants, I thought Heinekin NA was the best.  Which was weird because I don't like regular Heinekin.

I'm going to guess it's an Akita on their can, which is not a hairless dog.  Harumph!

Heineken calls it 0.0, which I find hilarious both as an Animal House reference and a running reference.

I sell more Heineken 0.0 than the other 11 combined. People like it. A distant second is Clausthaler

Heineken calls it 0.0, which I find hilarious both as an Animal House reference and a running reference.

I sell more Heineken 0.0 than the other 11 combined. People like it. A distant second is Clausthaler

Is one of the 11 Kaliber?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

John Wood

Booze thread, just what I need now. Always looking for new tastes. My current two go to beers are Dragons Milk and a local one here called Devils Tramping Ground, a triple. Both work really well after my lunch run.

rlopez

Is one of the 11 Kaliber?

Si, good ol' Guinness Kaliber. A few people like it. I don't have to repurchase it very often, though.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Hey Julia! FWIW, Texas Jack's on Washington Blvd has $2 NA beers on its dine-in menu. Can't remember the brand but the one I had was pretty good for washing down BBQ-like food outdoors on a hot Sat night. --Christine

It's a wild, wild, west thread so I'm going to plug a non-alcoholic beer.  I just did "Dry July" and really liked the Athletic Brewing Company and Hairless Dog Company's IPAs.  I hope one or both of them can make in-roads at grocery stores and restaurants so I don't have to always order them by mail.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

This photo actually makes me hurt!

And, now a burning question: how did keg cups end up being almost always red? To make them easy to spot during the post-kegger wreckage cleanup?

Meanwhile, if you're ever in the swamp (DC), visit here

The awesome thing is, they do half pours for half price. This is deluxe for those of us want to try different beers but also have to get back in a car.

And, right now, all of their pours are $6.36.

Don't work for them, I swear.

Well crap.

rlopez

Red solo cups are more a phenomenon than anything else. Cups come in all kinds of colors, but for parties, most settled on red about 20 years ago kind of just because they did. Or because that's better than white or brown.

In the industry (bars and major events), we actually use clear for several reasons including wanting to see what's in people's cups and how much.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Booze thread, just what I need now. Always looking for new tastes. My current two go to beers are Dragons Milk and a local one here called Devils Tramping Ground, a triple. Both work really well after my lunch run.

Wicked Weed brewing company for sours...even though they were bought out by a major beer company.

Try Foundars Breakfast Stout after a morning run.

Prarie ARtisan Ales makes Noir you might also like.

BCBS....it's good. I'm just not convinced it worth the price anymore.

Yeti from Great Divide is also good. Many variants too.

ch17 I'm going to guess the "red keg cups" started as a brand identification (like Solo) and other companies copy it so they can LOOK like Solo cups, until you use one and it cracks. Apparently Red is also gender neutral. Fun Fact: the lines/markings on a Solo cup are actually serving sizes.

Another Fun Fact: Beer bottles are brown because they use recycled glass. Brand new materials are required to make clear bottles. Green is kind of a mix of the two. At least that is what I was told at a glass manufacturer.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Julia1971

Hey Julia! FWIW, Texas Jack's on Washington Blvd has $2 NA beers on its dine-in menu. Can't remember the brand but the one I had was pretty good for washing down BBQ-like food outdoors on a hot Sat night. --Christine

Good to know.  I don't eat red meat and chicken so Texas Jack's is not my favorite place to eat but one of my besties loves going there for happy hour.  Not as many Clarendon Bros.

If you've honked at me recently while seeing me out running, I apologize if I ignored you.  Smile

If I lived somewhere that regularly saw dew points and overnight low temperatures in the low 50s in July and August, I might agree. You must be able to get Deschutes Black Butte Porter up there though right?

You would think, however no one else here agrees with me. And yes Deschutes is an excellent brewery and the Black Butte Porter is absolutely one of my go-tos. I was able to hit the Deschutes brewery/restaurant in Bend, OR a couple years ago. Great draft selection and a couple cask options, which is something I always go for when available. Very good food even.

Dave